Skip to main content

News

Topic: QtSphere IDE 0.6.0 (Read 36059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: QtSphere IDE (working title) 0.2.3
Reply #45
I can just ship the source code with a macOS build of QScintilla as with Windows, but I don't have a mac anymore.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #46
I really should learn how make files work... I built QScintilla but can't manage to get QtSphere IDE to link to it :(

Reply #47
Did you build it statically or dynamically? Truth be told, I eventually want to replace it with my own widget based on QTextEdit, but that's not high on my priority list.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #48

Did you build it statically or dynamically? Truth be told, I eventually want to replace it with my own widget based on QTextEdit, but that's not high on my priority list.
I built it dynamically, probably should be static?

But I couldn't work out the right instruction to put in to the makefile so QtCreator could find it when trying to build QTSphere IDE. (I've never learnt how to do makefiles manually)

Reply #49
I guess it's supposed to be statically linked then. To be honest, I'm really not very familiar with figuring out linking like this, and QSscintilla is a pain in the ass to set up anyway, hence the desire for a better widget. As much as I'd rather not, if the damn text/source editor is causing this much trouble, I may have to temporarily put off the fun graphics stuff.
Serves me right for trying to take the easy way out :P
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:55:55 am by Eggbert

Reply #50
Also, QScintilla's source editor doesn't seem to play nicely with non-ASCII input.
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:27:19 am by Eggbert

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #51
Well I've built it static and still no joy.

I either get Library not found errors or I get "No rule to make target `QtSphereIDE.o'."

Reply #52
Yeah, I don't care if it's my fault, this isn't worth the trouble.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
Well for now as a result of the above I've actually turned to using QTcreator as my sphere IDE - all I really need right now is something to edit multiple script files in.

I was tired of the oddities of working with wine for the old Sphere IDE and xcode wasn't ideal for a few reasons. QTCreator seems to have a great text editor and does good JS highlighting and stuff :)

Reply #54
I've mostly been using Visual Studio Code for JavaScript, GIMP for raw images, and the 1.x IDE for converting those images into Spritesets/Maps.
I'm having weird issues with resources in the resource files being ignored by QSI despite showing up fine in Qt Creator, but as soon as I figure that stuff out, I can finally move on.

Also, if you've never tried Visual Studio Code, I highly recommend it. It uses Electron, the same engine as Github Atom, but it feels much more snappy. I never thought I'd be singing the praises of a Microsoft product over something else, but it's a great text editor/lightweight IDE.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #55
Did development of this cease? While I had given up on compiling it for now I was looking forward to the idea of a working macOS sphere IDE.

Reply #56
No, it's still in active development. I have a bunch of projects that require my attention (though two of them are going to be scaled back, neither of which involve Sphere), and I have some IRL stuff going on.

Also, I don't know if any of you have heard of it or have any experience with it, but today I've been looking into a framework called Electron. It's a Node.js package that allows you to create GUI applications using the Blink (think Chrome, Opera and maybe others) rendering engine. This means you would be doing the vast majority of a given app in JavaScript/HTML/CSS/etc. This would make the filesize a bit larger but has a huge benefit of having much faster development. For example, I got a far more feature-complete syntax highlighter/source editor than what QtSphere has up in a few minutes.
This also makes it much easier to build, since all you need is node.js and npm, which is packaged (I think?) with node.js in Windows and maybe macOS and pretty easy to get in Linux/FreeBSD. So this is sort of like a couple step backwards in terms of progress, but because of the change, I'll be able to take several step forwards in a short time.

The worst part is that I'll have to come up with a new name, since QtSphere IDE without Qt obviously makes no sense.
ElectroSphere? ElectroSphere IDE? That sounds like an IDE for something called ElectroSphere. Sphere Zapper?
Any other ideas?

Reply #57
Oh also, Discord, Visual Studio Code (my IDE of choice), and GitHub Atom, among others are built on top of Electron/Node.js.

Reply #58
The worst part is that I'll have to come up with a new name, since QtSphere IDE without Qt obviously makes no sense.
ElectroSphere? ElectroSphere IDE? That sounds like an IDE for something called ElectroSphere. Sphere Zapper?
Any other ideas?

Simplistic suggestion: Spheretron?
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #59
I would actually like to make a VSCode plugin for Sphere v2.  It would support the entire toolchain: miniSphere, Cell and SSj.  I have to learn how to make extensions for it first, though.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub