Skip to main content

News

Topic: Started reading Homestuck (spoilerz ahoy) (Read 12848 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Started reading Homestuck (spoilerz ahoy)
Reply #15
No, Problem Sleuth is a separate thing Andrew Hussie did, before he did Homestuck.  But it's a good thing you didn't just skip over the Intermission--it's plot-relevant.  For what it's worth, I also hated it at the time, but now, it's one of my favorite parts of the comic.  Go figure!

But yeah, I agree with you on the characters being just normal kids instead of the usual dramatic characterization in films, etc.  It's part of what makes it such a engaging story--you get attached to the characters in a way you don't in a typical drama.  You care what happens to them.  I guess that really shouldn't be surprising, though, when one of Hussie's key inspirations for Homestuck was Earthbound, which also had otherwise normal children thrust into an epic adventure.

And I actually read your whole post this time. :-)  I can't respond to much of the other stuff without giving away some pretty big revelations, so I'll refrain.  All I'll say is, just keep going.  It gets even better from here. :D
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
Heh, I described Homestuck to my friend as, "Imagine if the Earthbound kids were really fucked up and started playing a game of The Sims that caused the apocalypse."

I didn't hate the intermission, though, it just seemed to drag on and on, and the timeline of it was hard to follow, and I wasn't invested in the characters.

Moar

• So Rose is the Seer of Light, huh? Thought for sure she'd be the Witch of Space. I wonder if your instance of The Middle is a projection of your inner self or something. John's rivers of oil and dark, desolate landscape would reflect his fractured psyche. Rose's colorful lightscape might be indicative of an inner sweetness that she's never been able to develop because of her horrible, alcoholic shrevv of a mother.

• Speaking of which, I really wonder why Rose spawned more directly "in" her world, whereas John spawned far above his and had to journey to get to the LOWAS proper. And speaking of that, I'm a writer and actually have a character who's referred to by the title "of the Wind and the Shade." Too bad I didn't publish it when I wrote it back in 2003. Now if I publish it, people will think that's a Homestuck reference, heh.

• Looking back through my text file of notes, I notesiced this...
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002834
Along with the reveal that John used to use a different Pesterchum handle (ghostyTrickster, so my guess of filmiePrankster was closeish) and changed it to avoid the Trolls, and his new Pesterchum handle being ectoBiologist, I've formulated the following theory...
Obviously it's John who's the one referred to in the above comic, he's the one who was trying to perfect the science of ectobiology. Either he'll travel into the past and do that at some point, or perhaps he already did it. Maybe this has something to do with the stuff his brain is blocking out.

Though it's strange that there's all the pink frilly furniture and tea sets and stuff nearby. Presumably that's not John's. So maybe he wasn't working alone, or maybe he's more messed up than I thought.

Also, I'm thinking that The Felt might be John's creation. I just realized while falling asleep last night that their green weird bodies match the whole ectobiology/paradox clone thing we see in the above and related comics. And since presumably John is "the" ectobiologist (as opposed to "a" ectobiologist, as if there were multiple of them), he'd be the only one who it would make sense would be their creators.

Of course, given the events of the Intemission, that raises the frightening possibility that John is, in fact, Lord English. Though if that's what his psyche is blocking out, he'd presumably be a lot more messed up than he is, so I'll file this possibility under "highly unlikely."

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003306
Why the heck did Jade start out with 2000 Build Grist?!
Hmm, maybe all Dave's battling leveled him up. Maybe the SBURB game only tracks your leveling up, rather than actually creating the artifice of leveling up itself, such that you can level up through battle even before playing SBURB.

• Remember I said I didn't like Jade's name, I didn't think it fit her? I still think that, but I just realized something. All four of the kids have four-letter names. John, Rose, Dave, Jade.

Since the Troll SBURB Computer that Spades Slick came across at the end of the intermission has twelve monitors, there'll presumably be twelve Trolls. I wonder if they'll all have twelve-letter names. Although the running number in Homestuck is 413, so maybe there'll be 13 Trolls and one doesn't play the game.

• Ugh, there's one other big thing I was thinking about last night that I wanted to post about, but I can't remember it. I'll edit this bullet point and add it if I think of it shortly.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #17

Heh, I described Homestuck to my friend as, "Imagine if the Earthbound kids were really fucked up and started playing a game of The Sims that caused the apocalypse."

Haha.  You think that's bad, wait.  Once you get through the whole thing you'll find it becomes pretty much impossible to describe the thing to the uninitiated.  You were a bit more eloquent about it than me, though.  When I introduced Homestuck to my nephew last year, literally all I gave him for a description was this: "It's about a world-ending video game and time travel."

forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #18
My favorite description is "Four kids play a video game. At the same time, a dispute in work dress code results in the death of millions"

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #19

My favorite description is "Four kids play a video game. At the same time, a dispute in work dress code results in the death of millions"

Haha, that's a good one!
forum thread | on GitHub

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #20

Haha.  You think that's bad, wait.  Once you get through the whole thing you'll find it becomes pretty much impossible to describe the thing to the uninitiated.  You were a bit more eloquent about it than me, though.  When I introduced Homestuck to my nephew last year, literally all I gave him for a description was this: "It's about a world-ending video game and time travel."

That's actually not bad either.

Moar Random Stuff

• I remember what I was gonna post last time, but it's wrong. I was guessing that, since we saw John's "Land" from far away and it looked like a broken-up planet, maybe all four of the kids' Lands fit together to form a whole planet. Just got to the Year One Recap and I can see that's wrong -- the Lands are all planets in the "solar system" in The Medium.

• Reading the recap and remembering things, I now know why John's Kernelsprite dodged the Colonel Sassacre text when Rose tried to Prototype it with it -- it would've made the game too hard. Pre-Medium Prototyping decides what sorts of upgrades the Imps get. If it got a Sassacre upgrade, they'd be too strong, 'cause Sassacre's too awesome. Indeed, all the Kernelsprites seemed to purposefully try to get Prototyped with dumb stuff (Dave's dead crow, Rose's doll), so that the Imps wouldn't get too strong.

• Mysteriously, we didn't see Rose or Dave's sprites "hatch" the way John's did, but in the {S} Jack Ascend animation, I can see they must've, since their respective Spires are lit up.

• I wonder if "fetal paradox clone" implie that the creature could be grown to a full paradox clone. Whatever that would mean.

• As I suspected, all the Guardians are "in" on Sburb. The Jack animation showed all four of them fighting "bosses." Probably the Slumbering Whatevers that each Land has.

• The Black and White Queens' heads are shaped like Becquerels. And Jack's is now, too, now that he put on the Black Queens' ring at the end of his animation. Confusing, 'cause I was sure Snowman from the Midnight Crew was the Black Queen. Maybe she is, maybe she wasn't really killed by whatever was in Jade's box (WTF is that thing, already?!) but teleported away.

Anyway, yeah, their heads are the same shape as Becquerel's, but only when wearing the rings. When the White Queen took off her ring and gave it to PM, her head lost that shape. I wonder, then, if Becquerel is the White King.

• How's Dave have posters of the Midnight Crew and the Felt?! I'm pretty sure they actually exist, on the far-distant future Earth, after the Exiles rebuild it. Freaky.

• Oh, hey! I wonder if the "defense portals" Skaia uses to defend itself from meteors when White inevitably loses happen to warp those meteors to the world that spawned that instance of the Medium, thus creating a stable time loop. Like, the meteors raining down on Earth are actually the meteors from John's Medium instance that will be hurled at John's Skaia instance.

• Seriously? Rose has messed-up drawings on her walls, too? Bluh. Bluuuuuuuuuuuuh.

• Another thing that bothered me and the Recap has rebrought it to my attention -- Dave is clearly currently playing his own copy of the Sburb game right now. You can see "Dave" written on them. But he shouldn't have those copies! When his Bro kicked his ass, he left him his own ("Bro") copies! Dave's copies were stolen by the crow

Here's the game copies Dave's using to play Sburb...
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003411

But those shouldn't say "Dave!" The "Dave" copies were lost! His Bro gave him the "Bro" copies, Dave should be playing Sburb with the "Bro" copies!
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002971

Presumably this will be explained. I know better than to think Hussie has made a mistake.

• Another brothersome thing. When the mansion exploded at the end of the Intermission, it said that it killed everyone except Spades and Snowman (presumably, Lord English wasn't there). It shouldn't've killed the other Midnight Crewmembers, though, 'cause they got knocked literally into next week by that Felt guy.

Edit: I also love how it's a forgone conclusion that ~7 billion humans were killed during the Sburb event, and nobody seems to notice or care.

With two boys and two girls surviving from Earth in the form of our protagonists, I CERTAINLY HOPE Hussie isn't planning for an Adam-and-Eve ending minus the incest (like, Rose and Dave hook up and John and Jade hook up and each pair's kids have kids with each other, rather than the normal Adam and Eve ending where A&E's kids have to mate with each other).

Edit 2: And haha! I was right about the "cork" thing ^_^
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003574
(Ctrl-F for "cork")

Edit 3: Wait, what?! From the Recap...
"Prospit's moon has two towers of identical design, and similar design to Jade's house. Dream Jade lives in one tower. Dream John lives in the other. Dream John is still asleep, and John has no knowledge of the dream world, which is to say, the entire game session he would initiate on his 13th birthday."
The Medium is the Dream World? I mean, I sorta realized that Yellow Mooney Dream Jane is on Prospit, but then that means The Medium is a dream world? So the Apple didn't transport John to another world, it made him fall asleep? So John's either still on Earth, but sleeping, or died on Earth and his whole consciousness was subsumed into the dream world (aka The Medium), or maybe his body was teleported somewhere else and is sleeping, and he'll wake up when he's finished what he needs to do in The Medium. Crazy.

"When he goes to sleep, instead of waking up on the moon as Jade does, he remains slumbering in his dream room, tormented by his subconscious. This torment is expressed when he sleepwalks, and draws troubling scribbles on the walls of his room."

Sleepwalks? When has John ever sleepwalked? (Or is it sleptwalk?)
  • Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:33:11 am by Mooch