Skip to main content

News

Topic: The New Mac Pro (Read 6200 times) previous topic - next topic

The New Mac Pro
Something about the Mac Pro has changed...

I for one am very excited for this. I really like the Apple of Old because it was so strange, yet could be seriously used. I'm glad to see that some of that maniac, radical, and sometimes elegant touch remains.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: The New Mac Pro
Reply #1
Interesting design. Cool (heh) hardware.

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #2
Sure you can connect studio monitors, sure you got mini displayport, but what about software that requires specialty hardware that requires a freaking pci-e slot!
This is WAY to radical and closed for any sort of upgrades, I get the imac but this is the freaking desktop.

Just open up your OS and let people build there own macs for christ sake if this is how you're going to treat your pro customers with a very closed system. 

Reply #3
When have Macs ever been about upgradability? The Macintosh mantra is that everything is better done in software, anyway.

It's not about being practical. Almost all other computers are about that. I like this because it's a serious attempt at a concept computer kind of thing, and it will also work as a pretty powerful machine as well. It's new and different. Fair enough if you don't like it, I don't know that I properly like it. But I do know that I like how I haven't seen anything like it before.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #4
It's true! What makes me warm and fuzzy inside is the hardware specs (for the *normal* stuff), the very interesting way to cool the hardware and the design. I still personally don't care much for the proprietary bullshit they attach to it, though (and OSX :P).

Reply #5
Finally apple decides to do something original. I just hope the advertisements they make for it don't completely turn me off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekmok6iSS6g

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #6
The hardware is perfectly fine and I believe they'll be using the next lineup for the Fire Pro series, even a 7990 would last for visuals anyway up to 5 years, now if you only spend $3-4K every 5 years the price point is actually feasible and very reasonable.

But looking at the I/O they may be using a dual gfx chip design instead of 2 gpu's in crossfire.

It's also noted they are betting on external sound cards as let's face it, external sound cards will perform a lot better than dedicated pci-e slot cards.  

I also like they're not using mini-display port even though thunderbolt is technically mini-dp plus it can be used for storage as well and I'm surprised they didn't wait for hdmi 2.0...  considering 1.4 doesn't really support 4k naitivly but display port does and mini is just will mini..