Skip to main content

News

Topic: The Wiki (Read 17872 times) previous topic - next topic

The Wiki
Has any attempts been made to add new content? Tutorials, scrap art, scripts, etc.

If anyone has the time, I'd definitely collaborate with someone on making new tutorials if it were wanted, or have we abandoned it yet?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: The Wiki
Reply #1
One does not simply abandon a wiki. :P

I keep meaning to add new content, but I just don't have the time. And having to endure losing all our old stuff kinda took the wind out of our sails. It'll prosper eventually but now we're just hanging on.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2

And having to endure losing all our old stuff kinda took the wind out of our sails.

Yeah, all my tutorials are missing and good bit of other content I've noticed like your pixelart turtorials. Since my recent break though I haven't stressed over it, and kinda has been cleansed from mind. I would love to collaborate with someone to revamp the community, we can still enjoy our time together even if there isn't a lot of new users flooding in to stay. I've seen TurboSphere and your Editor has seen some amazing improvements, so I know you and FJ are probably pretty busy with those two projects not to mention your games like Blockman or Jester's stuff.

Are Neo, Vince, you and FJ the only members left from the old forums?

Reply #3
We see some other folks from the old forums from time to time. And Casio was on the old forums, too!

In general, things are in decline here. It's just my theory, but I believe they will continue to be until either we make a full release of 1.6, TurboSphere, or Sphere-SFML. Our engine is dusty. Even if the new release isn't as good as 1.5, the shininess factor is what we are sorely lacking nowadays.

I add things to the wiki whenever I need to know something, check the wiki, and find it gone. I also occasionally go through and add three or four random pages when the fancy hits me, but not very often.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #4
I myself want to have a decent-sized block of time to dedicate to restoring more API documentation from the Wayback Machine. I do not have internet at home, so most/all my online time is relegated to doing/getting stuff in preparation for long stretches of time offline.

I'm shocked I've been able to get as far as I have in computer-related fields in such a manner!

Re members from the old forums - there are a few more who've popped in every so often (and one of them, casiotone, even runs the server that currently hosts us), but that data loss was a huge blow to the community aspect of Spherical and of Sphere development and enjoyment in general.

(edit - ninja'd)

Reply #5
Actually, I think I would add to the wiki more if there was a list of 'wanted' pages. Not just a list of all missing pages, but a list that folks add to when they want a specific page to be done.

Reply #6
Here's a link to the archive's page. http://web.archive.org/web/20111104234551/http://www.spheredev.org/wiki/Tutorials

If someone wants to start helping put some stuff back up, they can. I'm going to begin trying to reupload everything tomorrow, starting with the tutorials, and a little bit tonight and see how that goes. The enormous API list is probably going to be last on my schedule. Is there anything else that anyone is wanting done for the wiki?

Also, I have a good chunk of old games and stuff if you need a copy of something. And if you guys want me to make a copy of something that you're always or probably going to want again, I can always save a copy onto my external harddrive for you as a backup. I've been here long enough to keep a good trustworthy connection for backups and data. If I had the extra computer all day to run, I'd probably use it as a backup server for the site.

. . .

PS. What's this OpenID thing? I can't figure out how to log onto the wiki.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:18:47 pm by Vakinox

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #7
Uh, the description of what it is is right on the login page. In any case, it lets you use your Google/Yahoo/whatever account to log into the site so you don't have to go through the hassle of registering a new account.

Reply #8
I keep getting an error message:

Verification of the OpenID URL failed. Error message: "Nonce already used or out of range"

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #9
Weird; I'll check it out later this afternoon.

Reply #10
Figured it out. Javascript was disabled on my browser, which interrupted the login.

Reply #11
I think FJ has the right idea, what is something you guys would want to see on the Wiki?

We can make a list, possibly then rearrange everything into order of importance, and just pitch in whenever one of us has the free time. Currently I'm going through reediting and adding my own battle system tutorial to the Wiki as I'm working on the section for my project. It may take a bit before I can get to the other tutorials I want to add, like Radnen's pathfinding or WildTiger's introduction to sphere. Slow and steady wins the race though, so we don't necessarily need to worry too much, but it would be great to have a checklist of some sorts from the community I think.

. . .

Also, there's a problem with the Wiki. Every time I begin to submit an edit to an article, it has me logged out. Is there a time limit to how long you can stay logged in or edit an article?
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:37:10 pm by Vakinox

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #12

Figured it out. Javascript was disabled on my browser, which interrupted the login.

Wow, that's a good one. I didn't think there were still important extensions that didn't have a noscript fallback.

I'm going over to the extension's page to see if there's an updated version now, thanks! Re time limit, I didn't set one but it may be dependent on browser cookies or something.

Re tutorials - I myself am going to handle the Wild-Tiger stuff since I'm pretty attached to those, but feel free to double-check with Radnen about the pathfinding one! Anything else that you'd like to restore just let DaVince, Flying Jester, or myself (aka the current wiki mods) know when a page is restored so we can go over it for proper formatting and any additional cleanup (like modernization of links or something).

Reply #13
Wait, I'm a mod on the wiki now?

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #14
I thought you were previously?

Apparently for this iteration of the wiki I didn't set anyone to "bureaucrat" status and Wayback Machine isn't letting me see paginated versions of the old wiki's userlist so I can't confirm who was.