Skip to main content

News

Topic: [Video] Quick & dirty spriteset editor tutorial (Read 7299 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
[Video] Quick & dirty spriteset editor tutorial
I made a really quick, simple tutorial on how to use the spriteset editor that comes with Sphere's default editor. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/3jt8r-KKPkU

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Re: [Video] Quick & dirty spriteset editor tutorial
Reply #1
I wrote some notes in my comment on YouTube. Great video tutorial!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Thanks! Looking back at it, it seems that the recording it kind of botched, though. It's faster than the speed I recorded it at, and at some point a keyframe seems to be missing.

Thinking of creating a few more of these. Also of Radnen's editor, perhaps (though my favourite OS is still Linux so I'd have to switch and find better screen recording software for Windows). :)

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #3
I think when YouTube performs its conversions to lower resolutions it downsamples 60fps to 30 and 50fps to 25. It's been a few years since I myself uploaded any videos to YouTube, so they may have changed its auto-conversion procedures.

Re Windows screen recorders - I posted about them in the Screenshot thread.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
Oh no, that's not the problem. Knowing what YouTube does, I already recorded and exported the video in 30 FPS. It's just that RecordMyDesktop does something funky to my recordings. Might be that it still records 15 frames per second (the default setting) and just plays them back at 30, instead of capping all 30 frames like I told it to. :-\ In any case, I've got something better now (Kazam).

And thanks for that! I've been using CamStudio for a while but the framerate I get is usually bad. But more importantly, it doesn't seem to display/use any good codecs. So I'll try some of the other ones. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #5

I think when YouTube performs its conversions to lower resolutions it downsamples 60fps to 30 and 50fps to 25. It's been a few years since I myself uploaded any videos to YouTube, so they may have changed its auto-conversion procedures.

Re Windows screen recorders - I posted about them in the Screenshot thread.

Not just the framerate but the bitrate as well, and that's a hell of a lot more noticeable than the framerate drop.  I use YouTube a lot via 3G on my iPhone and if it doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream the video in realtime it'll severely hobble the bitrate to the point where not only does the image look like a JPEG at 90% compression (nearly unwatchable) but the audio quality suffers as well--enough to make the sound oscillate between the left and right speakers, which as you can imagine, is unbearable with headphones.  I actually wish they'd include an option in their app to NOT auto-degrade.  I'd honestly rather have to leave it paused to buffer for a while than deal with that kind of quality loss.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub