Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61579 times) previous topic - next topic

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #330
You shouldn't have needed to move everything - what was your movement script?

Reply #331
It was based off of tile movement. A good portion of my x,y put you on the other side of a door at mid tile points. Especially in the dungeon levels where the north & south doors take up 2 tiles & the entry point is between those 2 tiles.
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #332
It was based off of tile movement. A good portion of my x,y put you on the other side of a door at mid tile points. Especially in the dungeon levels where the north & south doors take up 2 tiles & the entry point is between those 2 tiles.
You could do 4 directions without doing tile movement - tile movement in an action rpg would be problematic anyway.

Reply #333
The tile movement was very problematic with ZeC. I did like the way that it was functioning though on a tile basis, so rather than abolish the code, I have it stored in a seperate script to implement into future projects.

Reply #334
Modified CollectTriforce() into a CollectItem() for use in the dungeon level item rooms. Also, adapted the collection image from the spriteset to holding the item up with one hand because I really didn't like the pose from the Original LoZ.
  • Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:35:00 pm by Miscreant

Reply #335
It would seem that Project: ZeC is on a temporary hiatus. My computer is apparently fried. It won't turn on. Press the power button and nothing happens... Just... It... I... Now... arrrrrrrgh...
  • Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:59:49 pm by Miscreant

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #336
Oh no I'm really sorry to hear that and hope it is fixed somehow soon.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #337
Just noticed the mentions section on these new forums. I'm trying to read everything but there's been a lot of talk! Anyways here's some answers for ya'll:

As for Analogue, here is a version I had on github as a gist:
https://gist.github.com/Radnen/5882431

(I would use the gist tags, but the code gets long. The old forums shortened the window, and added a scrollbar.)

As for map transitions in Blockman, I'm uncertain I want to share that code as because I really need to recode that project for Sphere 2.0+ API. I'm waiting for that ChakraCore engine. :) I use a floating camera too and there are issues with the camera working correctly on Sphere 1.5 API. Basically the map transition scripts are activated when the camera hits past the edges of the map, not the input character. This makes things weird sometimes.
  • Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:19:16 am by Radnen
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #338
As for map transitions in Blockman, I'm uncertain I want to share that code as because I really need to recode that project for Sphere 2.0+ API. I'm waiting for that CakraCore engine. :) I use a floating camera too and there are issues with the camera working correctly on Sphere 1.5 API. Basically the map transition scripts are activated when the camera hits past the edges of the map, not the input character. This makes things weird sometimes.

You've been lurking all this time watching miniSphere 5.0 progress, huh? :D  It's going to be awesome, it even has a real event loop now so combined with async await support in Chakra and the Dispatch API, plus mJS module support, makes it basically the game engine version of Node.js. :P
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #339
The old forums shortened the window, and added a scrollbar.
Thanks for reminding me to fix that. :D

Reply #340
Just noticed the mentions section on these new forums. I'm trying to read everything but there's been a lot of talk! Anyways here's some answers for ya'll:

As for Analogue, here is a version I had on github as a gist:
https://gist.github.com/Radnen/5882431

(I would use the gist tags, but the code gets long. The old forums shortened the window, and added a scrollbar.)

A copy of your analogue was included with miniSphere. I've been using that.

As for map transitions in Blockman, I'm uncertain I want to share that code as because I really need to recode that project for Sphere 2.0+ API. I'm waiting for that ChakraCore engine. :) I use a floating camera too and there are issues with the camera working correctly on Sphere 1.5 API. Basically the map transition scripts are activated when the camera hits past the edges of the map, not the input character. This makes things weird sometimes.

Rhuan helped me come up with a way to handle the map transitions. It's a very good starting point but I need to find a way for the player not to be able to move across the map while the transition is occurring.

Reply #341
After many hours and hardware headaches, I'm back on the really old (2003 hardware) pc, so that I may continue coding Project: ZeC. I'm pretty sure the power supply fried on the other machine. I'm kinda stuck using Sphere 1.5 for the time being. This older machine can't handle miniSphere. Which means I can't utilize the debugger until I can acquire a new power supply. At the very least, I can now continue coding.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #342
Rhuan helped me come up with a way to handle the map transitions. It's a very good starting point but I need to find a way for the player not to be able to move across the map while the transition is occurring.
To do that just put in  DetachInput() and ClearQueue() (with the player as the parameter) at the start of the transition and then an AttachInput at the end.

Reply #343
Every so often I try to add that in at different code locations. I'll get more in depth on adding that at a later point. For now, during the creation stages, I have that function "turned off" for quicker developement and testing. It is in the code, just currently //.
  • Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:26:30 pm by Miscreant

Reply #344
Adding in doors to various dungeon levels, reformatted some of the code base, fixed a "bug" with the whistle functionality where it would set the wrong tile. Attempting to remove the glitchiness of the ladder function. Main functions still in need of editing: UseCandle() and setBomb(). Started both of them at different points, got to an 'argh' moment and created a different function. Need to get back to those.