News

Topic: Improving the wiki (Read 7512 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Improving the wiki
Reply #15
Oh, you might want to wait a little, or do some offline editing first. Casiotone is trying to work out why switching the server to PHP 7 breaks everything. (It also doesn't log any errors, so that's great too.)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #16
@DaVince: I noticed you added this template to the wiki today:
WARNING: This page has been written for the legacy Sphere 1.x API. While this API is supported in miniSphere, please do not mix API version 1 code with version 2 code as this will break things.

That isn't really true.  The APIs can be mixed freely, it's just that objects are not interchangeable (i.e. you can't say v2texture.blit() or Color.mix(v1color, v1color)).  That's built into the design, to make migration easier, and is something I've taken a lot of pains to ensure is possible.  If you have a lot of v1 code, this warning implies you need to go through your whole codebase and change them all to v2 at once, which is overkill.

I think a better warning might be to avoid using v1 APIs in all-new code; it's fine to mix them in a legacy context and incrementally introduce v2 stuff (my own Spectacles is like this in fact, as I've been too lazy to refactor it all :P).  I would change the template myself but I'm not sure what a good way to word that succinctly would be.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #17
Fair enough, I was having some trouble keeping it short and clear myself. I also meant to put it like what you said about the objects, but reading it again the current wording is indeed not clear enough.

Edit: changed the wording a little plus added a style to it. This should allow for a bit more text too.
  • Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:04:30 pm by DaVince