Skip to main content

News

Topic: IMPORTANT: Please confirm the Wiki works again for you! (Read 12530 times) previous topic - next topic

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Re: IMPORTANT: Please confirm the Wiki works again for you!
Reply #15
Update: It seems I found a method that does the trick. cleanmediawiki let me do the exact mass deletion I needed and cleaned out the db properly. Now no records of the spam up to now (Mon Jun 15 11:32pm Eastern) exist except for the rollbacks/deletions I attempted before it.

I also added some more anti-spam measures that I'm cautiously optimistic about, so I'm doing to turn off maintenance mode so I can perform the next step of my procedures which is adding legit users to a "Writers" group that has create/edit permissions.

@mezzoEmrys - According to the OpenID MW extension page there was much upheaval across three of the main OpenID providers. I'd be shocked if any worked now. I updated the extension, and feel free to PM me if you continue encounter any sort of login problems.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #16

Now that there are multiple Sphere engines, how do we go about documenting version-specific options? Here's my suggestion:
I'm thinking we could just add links like [[Category:legacysphere]] and [[Category:minisphere]] to each API function page.
Then we add a template that figures out which categories the function belongs to, and display those at the top of the page. For example, like this:

(Edit: edited to take up less space)

That's a good idea, and until we can solidify a decent template to make it happen we can for now simply use the normal category linking that appears on the bottom of the page. I vaguely remember seeing a template or two on Wikipedia that performed conditionals based on the existence of certain categories on the including page, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Also, I noticed the special headings font not loading, but personally, I prefer the default font that is being displayed anyway.

This change was the result of the wiki update also updating the skin, which introduced more specific selectors for headlines negating my customizations. I added overrides to these and the previous font is restored globally, though you can still edit your personal wiki CSS by visiting the wiki article User:Username/skinname.css (replacing Username with your user name and skinname with Vector in this case). The selector to target for the headings in question is div#content h1, div#content h2, div#content #firstHeading so go nuts!

Eventually I'll update instructions for navigating and customizing the wiki user experience.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #17
I was able to successfully request a password rest and log in as 'Radnen' but I can't seem to edit anything yet. I'm sure that'll happen soon, though.

Also, is the wiki slow for anyone else? I can wait sometimes up to thirteen seconds for the page to appear. I thought it was adblock but I turned it off for this domain.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #18

I was able to successfully request a password rest and log in as 'Radnen' but I can't seem to edit anything yet. I'm sure that'll happen soon, though.

Try now, you might have tried right before I put you in the writers group. If it still doesn't work I have to edit more permissions.

Also, is the wiki slow for anyone else? I can wait sometimes up to thirteen seconds for the page to appear. I thought it was adblock but I turned it off for this domain.

I was doing a lot of work on the wiki, and wouldn't be surprised if I need to run an optimize step on the db that I haven't yet. Consider this issue temporary.
  • Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:42:26 am by N E O

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #19
Yeah, I want to start fleshing out the API pages with Sphere 2.0 stuff, but it's way too slow.  10-15 seconds per page is just unbearable.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #20
Wow. Applying even just hardcoding of {{SITENAME}} (recommended here) sped everything up, down from 10-15 sec to 5-10 sec. Also added an expires date of "now+1 month" to the skins.

WebPagetest says the webfont stylesheets are blockers, but I think that's a red herring. That 1429ms load time for the page itself is probably where the magic happens.

Reply #21
Hey, sorry to gravedig this thread but I just noticed that when I tried to access the wiki for some help, it gives me a permissions error:

You do not have permission to read this page, for the following reason:

You must confirm your email address before editing pages. Please set and validate your email address through your user preferences.

I can't log in, I can't request an account, because it just keeps giving me that error. I do need to access it again as I've scrapped Ilxder 1's development with Sphere (moving to Unreal for that because it'd be a better overall fit for that game's type of development), and I'm working on something right now that I think I might be able to make into a more classic, concise 2D RPG.
"If you don't build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs."

Challenging Apathy | Follow me on Twitter!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #22
It's a known problem (see here for discussion), and unfortunately difficult to solve because apparently no one else has ever had the same issue and posted about it anywhere. I'm going to reinstall the entire wiki today and see how far I get in fixing this again.

Reply #23
If it comes down to that, maybe you should just do a complete wipe of the wiki, configuration, pages, and all.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #24
If it comes down to that, maybe you should just do a complete wipe of the wiki, configuration, pages, and all.
That's exactly what I meant! It's happening right now, after doing a backup of the database of course.

Reply #25
Ah thanks, I await the results to see how things go. :)

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #26
Wiki works again! There are some minor things to fix but at least it's finally up to date and functional again.

Reply #27
Thanks DaVince, much appreciated!