Spherical forums

Sphere Development => Sphere Support => Topic started by: mezzoEmrys on July 15, 2016, 02:20:04 am

Title: Making use of GetKey constants to map to functions
Post by: mezzoEmrys on July 15, 2016, 02:20:04 am
So, as part of my current project, I'm trying to handle my input for layered menus and such from the ground up for the sake of experimentation. As such, I have this code currently:

Code: [Select]

if(AreKeysLeft()) {
   ({ KEY_UP: startWindow.handleUp,
      KEY_DOWN: startWindow.handleDown,
      KEY_LEFT: startWindow.handleLeft,
      KEY_RIGHT: startWindow.handleRight,
      KEY_Z: startWindow.handleAccept,
      KEY_X: startWindow.handleCancel
   })[GetKey()].call(startWindow);
}

Now, this code does not currently work because the [GetKey()] step returns undefined, which is because KEY_UP, DOWN, etc. are actually numerical constants, and I can't seem to break them down within the object creation to do something like convert KEY_UP to 84, nor can I seem to get the value from GetKey() as its word form. I'm a bit stumped as to what to do here that would still result in legible code while also having equivalent functionality.
Title: Re: Making use of GetKey constants to map to functions
Post by: Fat Cerberus on July 15, 2016, 10:30:52 am
You'll be able to do this in Sphere 2.0, because the built-in enumerations are two-way, which is to say: Key[Key.Enter] = "Enter"

Therefore:
Code: (javascript) [Select]

if(kb.haveKeys) {
   ({ Up: startWindow.handleUp,
      Down: startWindow.handleDown,
      Left: startWindow.handleLeft,
      Right: startWindow.handleRight,
      Z: startWindow.handleAccept,
      X: startWindow.handleCancel
   })[Key[kb.getKey()]].call(startWindow);
}

I'm unaware of a way to do this in Sphere 1.x though.
Post by: Fat Cerberus on July 15, 2016, 10:56:15 am
It's worth noting that this would have been possible if Sphere supported ES6 using computed property names, in which case you could just wrap KEY_UP etc. constants in brackets.  Alas, ES6+ support still looks like it's a ways off for Duktape.
Post by: mezzoEmrys on July 15, 2016, 04:35:03 pm
Alright, I guess I'll just make my own reverse-enumeration function for now and call it good. Glad to know this kind of thing  won't be as much of a problem in Sphere 2.0 ;)