Skip to main content

News

Topic: QtSphere IDE 0.6.0 (Read 35930 times) previous topic - next topic

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: QtSphere IDE (working title) 0.2.3
Reply #75
Atom is nice, but I always felt like VS Code is a bit snappier and has less cruft. Which is surprising, considering the developer :P
Wow VSCode is nice - trying it out today and really taken to it fast.

Reply #76
Definitely. And it has a lot of plugins that make it even better, like a live Markdown preview pane, or various language-specific extensions. I don't know if you noticed, but it also has a built-in terminal that defaults to bash in Linux (and presumably macOS) and Powershell in Windows.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #77
Definitely. And it has a lot of plugins that make it even better, like a live Markdown preview pane, or various language-specific extensions. I don't know if you noticed, but it also has a built-in terminal that defaults to bash in Linux (and presumably macOS) and Powershell in Windows.
I haven't noticed the terminal

Also whilst I like the interface, two things it's not doing for me that I'd really like at the moment (I'm sure it can do them):

1. Highlight/underline undefined variables.
2. Highlight.underline duplicate definitions. (Both of these features were in QT Creator's text editor and were a key reason I used it for a while, but it can't cope with ES6 properly)

Reply #78
I'm not sure about duplicate definitions, but it does, but there is a section that shows problems with your code.

Reply #79
Actually, it looks like it does show a problem if you declare a variable with let twice, but not with var.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #80
That makes sense actually: Duplicate let is a runtime error (in a compliant engine anyway--transpilers don't tend to enforce it), duplicate var is completely legal.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #81
I've resurrected and completed two dead projects so far (robotfindskitten-sphere and Sphere6502), so let's see if I can keep this fun train rolling. After messing around in Java and Vala with the intention of creating an editor solely for Sphere formats, I've decided that I would be better off working on QtSphere IDE again but completely dropping all of the source related stuff. Since I won't be using QScintilla, it should be much easier to build, since you won't have to go around and search for libraries.

Since QSI won't have a source editor, I'm going to work on a Visual Studio Code extension for miniSphere API completion/documentation and possibly for interfacing with SSj.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #82
Since QSI won't have a source editor, I'm going to work on a Visual Studio Code extension for miniSphere API completion/documentation and possibly for interfacing with SSj.

I like this Visual Studio Code idea!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #83
And here's a long overdue update. It isn't much of an editor yet, but I'm making progress and starting with spritesets.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #84
The fact that you've got those sprites loaded and displaying is already very promising! :)

Reply #85
I know it isn't much of an update, buuuuut QtSphere IDE's file tabs now respond to Ctrl+PageDown/PageUp. Can Radnen's IDE do that? Didn't think so! That's to say nothing of its cross-platformyness and overall prettierness. Neener neener neener!

In all seriousness, considering C/C++ isn't my strongsuit, I think QSI is making decent progress. Now that it's (relatively) stable and I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to blow up in your face if you breath on it wrong, I think it has a pretty decent foundation, even if a fair chunk of it was aesthetically ripped straight from Radnen's IDE and to a lesser extent, VS Code :P

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #86
I know it isn't much of an update, buuuuut QtSphere IDE's file tabs now respond to Ctrl+PageDown/PageUp. Can Radnen's IDE do that? Didn't think so! That's to say nothing of its cross-platformyness and overall prettierness. Neener neener neener!

It can't, but it *does* respond to Ctrl+Tab and Shift+Ctrl+Tab (I think it might be buggy though?).  I admit I wasn't aware of Ctrl+PageUp/Down at all, probably because MSVC doesn't respond to those either.  That's a nifty shortcut!
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #87
It can't, but it *does* respond to Ctrl+Tab and Shift+Ctrl+Tab (I think it might be buggy though?).
Huh, I just checked and apparently QTabWidget responds to those key combinations by default. And Firefox does as well. Oh well, I've always associated Ctrl+PageDown/PageUp with switching tabs, and it's more ergonomically convenient, so I'll just leave them there.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #88
Same with Fat Cerberus. I didn't know Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown was a thing! I just tried in Chrome and it worked. Guess you learn something new every day.

I do use Shift+Insert to paste all the time, however. On a nice full keyboard, at least, it feels nicer with just the right hand.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #89
I had to get used to Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown myself because some programs on Linux support only those. So luckily, that means I was used to both anyway... I'm glad that your editor supports both by default. :)

more ergonomically convenient
This I don't get... You only need one hand to press Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab while PgUp and PgDown are all the way on the other side of the keyboard. I guess you use right Ctrl a lot? :P And I guess it saves one extra keystroke.

Anyway, I'm actually quite stoked on the recent progress on this. Been waiting for Sphere to truly enter cross-platform territory; not just with its engine but with its editor as well!