Skip to main content

News

Topic: Intro (Read 6825 times) previous topic - next topic

Intro
Hello! I've found my way here after following a link from Gamesradar. I've taken programming methodology material before but my grasp of Java is weak/non-existent. I've been examining the wiki and managed to successfully replicate the Getting Started game, but I haven't managed to get much else working correctly.

I guess to kick things off, I'm looking at designing up a prototype for a game idea using Spherical, and the first place I'd like to start is with a Heads-Up display. The game is going to be in a 2D grid format. I gave the Flik menu a shot, but I've been unable to get the menu to function. I've also tried creating a windowstyle, thinking that might help design an interface/HUD but I couldn't get that working either.

If there is a resource that already answers this question (hopefully with a walkthrough of a basic interface or HUD, as I learn by example and then tweak) could you point me in the right direction? Thanks a ton and I'm excited to become part of the community and hope to contribute one day once my grasp has become stronger.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Intro
Reply #1
Hi AlexandrTheGreat, and welcome to Spherical!

Our community had been reset some time ago, and so the tutorials and other things have been lost. But don't worry, we are rebuilding. Which is great since all new questions now get full attention!

So, in order to enjoy Sphere you will need to know how to code in JavaScript, not Java. Java is an entirely different language. I would love to help you right now, but I'm busy. What I want to do is create a tutorial series that explores Sphere's API (it's code library) and other features and tips. So, if you hang tight for a while I'll try to get on that task.

Again, welcome to sphere and enjoy your stay. Feel free to ask the questions in the Support forum!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #2
...I'm gonna go and get my beginner's tutorial back up today. It won't teach you about things like the HUD right away (which, by the way, flik_menu is not suitable for... That's for making interactive menus!). But it'll teach you how to get started with scripting in Sphere, and give you a clue on how you could start making a HUD yourself.
  • Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:51:03 am by DaVince

Reply #3
Thanks! I plan on sticking around for a while as I doubt even with full knowledge of Sphere that I would be able to hammer out my idea in any short amount of time.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
Here ya go. Note that the later chapters are still unformatted (I'll get to that later), but what's there should give you a decent start. :)

Reply #5
Welcome to Spherical!

Feel free to ask any questions you want on the support forum. No matter how basic, really. We lost our old forums a little while back, and so there's no huge worry right now that the question has been answered already, too.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #6
Welcome! As has been said before, stuff happened and we have to restore documentation and all that good stuff. Also, that article is from 2009 and things have certainly changed since then!

Reply #7
I'm back after my disappearance! As many know, life tends to get in the way of hobbies. In my case, I had to ship my computer out for an exchange and prepare to relocate to a different continent. However, I figured I'd drop a line here and that I plan on being active again.

Now I need to re-download Sphere and get my code back in.

Reply #8
Cool, where did you move to?

Reply #9
I will be moving in a few days to the UK.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
Wow, good luck with the moving! And welcome back. ;)