Skip to main content

News

Topic: Why will no other graphics card work in my PC!? (Read 14503 times) previous topic - next topic

Why will no other graphics card work in my PC!?
I tried the old one outta my old PC, no picture at ALL. Tried a brand new GEFORCE GTX 650 TI - Absolutly nothing

Put the old card in (Even after uninstalling its drivers) and it displays using windows drivers. None of the other cards will?

Pc is a Advent DT2412. All Ive found is that the LECAGY boot mode doesnt work so your meant to change some settings on the BIOS. I did that, still no picture.

Anything I found on goodle said you have to disable onboard graphics. There is NO way to do that in the bios, you can change setting for the onboard but not disable. For the record the onboard graphics dont work if any of the problem cards are connected

Motherboard is a MSI board, which are apparently also a pain

I just cant figure this out and its really bumming me out. If I dont solve it the wife wont let me try again lol, her response is "Well obviously OUR computer cant have good graphics".

Can anyone help?

EDIT : The NEW GTX 650 card works in my OLD pc so the card isnt faulty. On the box it doesnt say it supports WIN 8 but their website does

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Why will no other graphics card work in my PC!?
Reply #1
Check your power settings, maybe you don't have a large enough power supply? You should get at least a 500W unit, the 650 takes at least 450W to function. This is just a guess, however.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #2
Get an 850 platinum or gold rating power supply, not enough power.

Reply #3
You can usually hear a certain whining sound when a power supply can't provide enough power for what's plugged into it.

I manage a pair of GTX 550 ti's (among quite a few other cards, and a very power-expensive CPU) with only a 400 watt PSU. Some PSUs are good for more than what they are rated, some cheap ones less.

Do you know the actual PCIe connection your board uses? Are you using the other (if any) PCIe slots?

You could try disabling any power management from the BIOS. And the card should be able to coexist with the onboard graphics (unless you have one of the hybrid SLI motherboards which make such things much more complicated).

Reply #4
Tech support told me that the card isn't UEFI flashed.

He told me a load of things that "should" have worked but none did. I only had one PCIe slot so couldn't run the old and new card so I took it back to the shop

I made them waive their usual £25 fee, as I had asked all these questions when I bought the PC and I wasn't told this. I suppose in the future these card wills come already flashed?

I got it back and it was working great. I was kicking ass on Batman AA on all the max settings!

Then it just stopped working again. I looked at the back of the pc and the card they "fit" is crazy loose? They didn't fit any screws to the case so it was just that one plastic clip on one side of the PCIe that was holding it in?

I assume that is the problem. I also had a power cut. When I turned the PC on, no Display. Its still getting into windows though as I can hear it start.

So its back at the shop. And they have no tech guys there until Monday. Fantastic...

By the way required power was 400W I had 450W. But the card worked in my old PC that only had 350W when I had to test it worked and it did

Reply #5
Losing a PCIe connection while running can fry the motherboard, the card (especially graphics cards), or both.

You'd probably be fine with a 350 watt, but if you have a 450 watt it's almost certainly fine.

Reply #6
If that is the case surely they are responsible as they did not fix the card in?

Theres a metal panal that locks in there, but it doesn't fit over the shape of the graphics card (hard to explain). So I would have put a screw in the hole the card is over, as it is a SCREW hole. That clip just fits there too. They didn't, so it was literally just pushed in

I didn't realize til I went looking to see why it wasn't working.

I have a feeling im gonna end up arguing if that's happened...

I was just starting to enjoy PC gaming again bah!

Reply #7
I had the computer back a day with the old graphics card in it and its all ok. She said she couldnt do it that do so bring it back the next...

its been 3 more days... still no PC

I guessing that poor connection buggered the graphics card then. And it was the last one in stock when i bought it so i guess they are secretly waiting a delivery. maybe im wrong

On the otherhand she told me it was fine and that last time she didnt set it up fully so when my power cut the "last good config" that loaded reversed what she did.

I question why she did "half" a job that she KNEW was gonna require another visit eventually. Espcially considering you are supposed to PAY for that

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #8
Why are you going to someone for help HarryBo? I'm pretty sure to be a PC gamer you are supposed to know something about building the computer that you use; computers aren't like consoles where you just buy one and if it breaks it means a warranty breach if you fix it yourself. I mean, it's the only way to beat the pricing of repair places and other computer builders. If you can get the parts from a warehouse and build your own computer you can easily save a bit - especially parts and labour. Then you get around the whole the part doesn't work/fit thing.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #9
Last one in stock?

You could just buy a new (possibly different) graphics card.

I agree with Radnen. If you just read the fine print on parts carefully, you can fix this yourself for less. And if you keep your eyes open and shop around, you can usually find better parts than you had before for less.

Reply #10
Im guessing you guys missed the part about needing the card flashed, requiring 2 pci-e slots. I tried everything, even talking to the customer support. Why assume I did not try to fix it first

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #11
Harrybo: No, I understand you looked at that, but then you were talking about fitting it and other things that weren't quite clear. So I don't know the full picture of the problem. To me it seems, if you indeed tried everything, that you bought a bad card!

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #12
If it really is a matter of the ROM on the card needing UEFI support, I would say it would be better to just buy a new card that comes from the factory with UEFI support.

To me, it seems strange to me that the card needed to be, and then was, reflashed for UEFI. But I haven't had much experience with UEFI, so I could be full of crap on that.

Reply #13
The website for the card says that it supports win 8. So I assumed it would be UEFI flashed.

But when I looked at the physical box it says up to win 7.

I have the PC back now (After over a week). I get no picture until im into windows. If I want safe mode or the bios I have to plug into the onboard graphics.

Also it seems to keep buggering up everytime I turn the pc off. I then have to connect to the onboard graphics. Then turn it off. Plug into the graphics card and turn on. Then it works.

Its =driving me crazy. Everytime I turn my PC on there is a 50/50 chance itll boot straight up. But I have to wait for like 5 10 mins to check. Really don't like not having a picture.

No idea what this woman did but she had it for ages.

PS. Again they did not fix the card in so I did it myself. Bunch of muppets apparently.

Its working right now, Arkham City looks absolutely stunning.

@Flying Jester - Had I known about UEFI prior to buying it I would have. Saying that though after browsing through other models none of the mention anything about UEFI. The customer support people says they have to make the custom firmware at YOUR request and then they send it to you. Great if you actually know or have the means to do that
  • Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:43:47 pm by Harry Bo21

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #14
What socket is the CPU? Have you checked to see if it's the CPU and motherboard?   Are there any loose connections?
Personally I'd build a new PC as it sounds like you have some seriously faulty hardware.