News

Topic: Sphere SFML v0.90 (Read 107205 times) previous topic - next topic

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Sphere SFML v0.80
Reply #240
So I added a new draw method, wrapBlit(x1, y1, x2, y2 [, width, height])

This is a very useful modern technique for creating backgrounds that never end, by wrapping it's drawing around the screen. This can be emulated in vanilla Sphere but it requires 4 images and a clipping rectangle. Therefore it is possible to add this ability in, but it wouldn't be efficient at all. wrapBlit uses your graphics card to wrap a single texture around the area you draw it in.

(x1, y1) is the location to draw at. (x2, y2) is the inner texture offset. Width and height are useful for expanding the area the texture is drawn in. If not specified it just uses the textures default width and height.

There is one other variant:
Image.wrapBlitMask(x1, y1, x2, y2, color [, width, height])

Technically you can make your own windowstyles this way. :)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #241
Hm, still can't run Spectacles on SSFML 0.80.  No SetDelayScript.  It's probably missing a bunch of other functions too (how much of the Sphere API is implemented?), but unfortunately it closes out after the first one so I have no idea what else is missing.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #242
It should have a sizable portion of the Sphere API implemented. I checked and SetDelayScript is honestly one of the few not to make it thus far.

Are you building from source? If so, all you need to do is update and build it again and then you'll have the bleeding-edge version with SetDelayScript. :)

And please, if you see any more functions not yet added I'll definitely add them.

Edit: I see what you are trying to do; seeing if SSFML is stable enough to run your game with my Link library. I think it should be ready enough, all I need to know is if it supports all of the functions your game needs. I'd say I have 80% of the functions mapped out. There are many extraneous surface and map stuff that have not made it through. I tried to prioritize the API to things I think would be immediately relevant. For example, SetPersonAngle, an honest to goodness function in the Vanilla API is just not implemented yet.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:01:01 am by Radnen
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #243
I was using the 0.80 alpha linked in the OP.  I'll try building from source tomorrow.  What do I need to build it?  Just VS, or do I need any other libraries/SDKs?
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #244
I think at this point you just need the github source. NUnit now downloads via Nuget, Jurassic would too, but I run a modified version of Jurassic to handle somethings otherwise impossible through code. I put Jurassic into the repository despite the fact it's a binary. I always aim for an out-of-the-box build so I don't think you actually have to go anywhere and download anything.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #245
Haha, you got me. ;D  The segfault in 1.5 did it for me; vanilla Sphere is really starting to show some dry rot at this point.  I guess I'm the first person to write a battle engine this complex in Sphere!

Honestly, my first choice for migration would have been TurboSphere, but I know there's no way that's ready for primetime yet and it's also not 1:1 with the Sphere 1.x API, meaning lots of retrofitting.  So yeah, Sphere-SFML it is!
forum thread | on GitHub

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #246
Can one of you provide an up-to-date binary dist of SSFML? I want to compare Flappy Sphere's current performance btwn 1.5, 1.6b, and SSFML.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #247
N E O, soon, if  Lord English wants to try out the bleeding-edge first, I'll let him and fix any problems he has since you might have them too. Once all of those problems are fixed, I'll then roll out a better version. ;)

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #248

Honestly, my first choice for migration would have been TurboSphere, but I know there's no way that's ready for primetime yet and it's also not 1:1 with the Sphere 1.x API, meaning lots of retrofitting.  So yeah, Sphere-SFML it is!

Definitely not ready for production, but less reworking is needed than you'd think. I've included a compatibility script with TurboSphere that, when included, makes it 1:1 with Sphere 1.5.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #249
<Adding irc chat to my Sphere Studio>
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:01:46 pm by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #250
What would you want with IRC in a game? Using it as in-game chat?

I came across this IRC Client lib today: http://www.ulduzsoft.com/libircclient/
Although, it is C :P

Reply #251
Wait, IRC in the editor?

It's really easy to make an IRC client, though.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:43:47 pm by Flying Jester

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #252
Wait, I posted an editor related topic in my SFML topic! Silly me! :P

But yeah, I would like to put an irc chat thingy into my Sphere Studio as a plugin. And I don't want to make one from scratch since I'd like to utilize what's already out there, and make sure it's bug free. In-game chat wouldn't be a bad idea, but I have ideas for creating plugin's for this engine. Soon enough I'll get around to doing it.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:02:48 pm by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #253
But then, we should start a sphere channel too! #spherical on FreeNode?

Reply #254
We already have one. #Sphere on espernet.