Skip to main content

News

Topic: The Screenshot Thread (Read 93905 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Screenshot Thread
Reply #195
Did you use SSj or SSj Blue to help you develop that?  Because that would be incredibly appropriate.  :P

The funny thing is, I probably don't even know how to use those to their full potential! I'm like an RPG Maker creator who stumbled upon Sphere by mistake. My code for this project is one big mess at this moment but somehow I manage to make things work. :P

That looks great! I didn't play much of Legend of Goku 1 or 2 but I immediately thought of those when I saw that screenshot

It's supposed to be sort of a remake/homage to the first one. I'm using a lot of sprite animations from there now, but I was recently joined by a really talented pixel artist who is gonna help me replace most of them with original art.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #196
The funny thing is, I probably don't even know how to use those to their full potential! I'm like an RPG Maker creator who stumbled upon Sphere by mistake. My code for this project is one big mess at this moment but somehow I manage to make things work. :P

Just goes to show how accessible JavaScript is.  Which says a lot, given how arcane curly-brace languages tend to look to the uninitiated.

Had Chad Austin picked any other language than JavaScript to drive the engine, I fear Sphere would have fell off the map a long time ago along with all the other failed RPG creation tools/engines.  Instead it managed to hang on just long enough for someone (me) to get fed up with all the bugs and rewrite the damn thing from the ground up. :P
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #197
Can I post a video?
I'm gonna post a video.
Using a screenshot.
Planning to have the dragon radar on the bottom? 
Kinda like the old hud better personally :(

Reply #198
I wasn't sure about it at first, but it kinda grew on me pretty quickly! I want to find some use for it other than just a decor.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #199
Did you use SSj or SSj Blue to help you develop that?  Because that would be incredibly appropriate.  :P

I'd love to help you re-code it if you're interested?

But not until my map engine is done - so not for at least a few weeks.

Reply #200

Currently at chapter 4 in the graphical and story rewrite.  Still lots to do...

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #201
This is turning out to be excellent and aesthetically pleasing - yet also retro in a way. I'm a fan of the shading.

Reply #202
So it's been awhile. I had to kill off the 3d rendering engine as it turned into more of a beast than I could handle. Though it's not actually dead but in my vault of projects *click*

In other news I am continuing along with the original project but because I do want real time lighting/shadows I am writing my own framework for world and asset management. I'd say it's already about 25% done. Some art assets are in the works too but mainly exist as brainstorming material/concept art

In the meantime. Here's an early test of map loading. the map loaded here 50x300 tiles in size.

When in doubt, blame code gremlins.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #203
SSj Blue

It makes me happy to see this banner :)

Kind of off-topic, I notice it says "60 fps" instead of "60/60 fps", which means you have Sphere.frameRate set to infinity or else are using the Sphere v1 API without calling SetFrameRate (presumably you're FPS-locked by your graphics driver hence why it stays at 60).  I don't recommend doing this as it will max out a CPU core and kill battery life on laptops.  If you set a specific framerate the engine will be more friendly to the CPU and background programs :P
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #204
It isn't very far yet, but for Shape practice, I decided to work on a small side project: a clone of the original arcade Asteroids. Luckily, I was able to find a font that mimics the original. Rather than using sprites, with the exception of the font, I'm going to use vector graphics like the original as much as possible.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #205
It'll be neat to see something using vector graphics, I think.  You didn't see much of that with Sphere v1 because the API just wasn't designed for it.  The v2 Shape class is a perfect fit for that, though. :D
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #206
Yeah, I noticed that and that was the idea.

Reply #207

I've been working on my old shoot 'em up project for the last couple days, and I'm kind of surprised how well replacing the old sprites and tiles with ones rendered in Blender has been going.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #208
Hey, using 3D modeling software for pre-rendered graphics isn't something I've seen a lot of in Sphere! I'm thinking that by using Blender you can do some interesting animation - like having the tiles slowly change their perspective relative to the ship (by cycling through different animation frames) as you zoom past them. :)

Reply #209
I actually got the idea from an old site called Java on the Brain, which has a bunch of Java applet games. My original goal was to rewrite them in miniSphere since applets no longer work in most, if not all modern browsers. They still work in Netscape 7.2 (which still installs in Windows 10, oddly enough) but nothing on the internet lasts forever.
"Unnamed "SMUP" is based on Warp/Warp 1.5 from JotB. I got the idea for doing the graphics in Blender from Warp 1.5's History page, which mentions doing the graphics in POV-Ray. I've never used it, but I am plenty familiar with Blender. I say "My original goal" because for copyright reasons I may end up using the same gameplay but with my own graphics and sound. I'll still probably end up distributing them as a package with their own game menu.

I still find this excerpt from the Wap 1.5 page kind of funny. "MIDI music in particular tends to hog a lot of processor capacity."
As usual, technology marches on.