News

Topic: The Screenshot Thread (Read 93903 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: The Screenshot Thread
Reply #225
I was following the Discord chat and saw the progress you were making on this, very promising and very nice!

3D in a primarily 2D-focused game engine would be very nice, and I can think of applications like those 2D RPGs on the Playstation and Nintendo DS that had some 3D objects layered on top. I think that would be an excellent addition to Sphere, especially when you can 3D model them and just use them just like that.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #226
Here's a couple of screenshots from the introduction of my OFF remake.  @DaVince has actually seen it in action; I'll hopefully post a demo soon.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #227
Weird, I could've sworn I posted an updated screenshot of my Chip's Challenge clone...anyway, it fully loads and parses the binary .DAT file and accurately (mostly) draws levels to the screen. You can move around and it handles basic collision, but not much else (yet). I replaced the UI background and the time font with my own, and eventually I'll either replace the sprites and tiles with my own or use the sprites and tiles from Tile World to avoid copyright issues.

Reply #228
By the way, if you're in Windows 10 and want to record a game/window, press Win+Alt+R to start recording. Then when you're done, press Win+Alt+R again to finish recording. I just converted the video to webm with ffmpeg because I thought it would expand the video inline like it did with the GIF file I uploaded earlier.
  • Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:25:28 pm by Eggbertx

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #229
Huh, I didn't know there was a shortcut key for that.  I usually just press Win+G and look for the Record button.  That's a good wisdom! :dog2:
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #230
I didn't even know about that until yesterday, when I was looking for an easier way to record games than with ffmpeg. I read about the game bar and saw the shortcut I mentioned in my post. I decided to try and see if it worked without opening the game bar first, and it did.
  • Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:34:25 pm by Eggbertx

Reply #231
I haven't mentioned it until now since it's a very low priority project that may never even get finished, but I figured I may as well post a screenshot for interest. The blocks that comprise each letter are actually one image copied to multiple locations as determined by a per-character array of JS object literals with x/y coordinates.

Reply #232
So I picked up my graphics engine again

I've been posting too many screenshots in the discord (Sorry for the spam!), and thought I should share an update regarding the latest version here

Because it's most relevant to what I plan to use this for, I've written a voxel world-type, these can be created dynamically and can also be loaded in parallel provided you have a system in place for selecting which world you want to display. They are inefficient at the moment though due to the inability for models to share a single pointcloud, I plan to fix this for version 0.5

I'm aiming to push a commit to github tomorrow if not tonight, and likely wont be updating this again for about a week or two since that seems to be the frequency at which I get time to work on this

Anyway, screenshot time, because of the forum's image size limit the images are hosted from my personal server.
The terrain is randomly generated using a fractal-based terrain generator that I wrote

This last one uses a lower FOV, the top ones use an FOV that's been cranked way up to create an isometric rendering effect

This is from an experimental version that produced a result I thought was cool.

• Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:29:26 am by SilicateWielder
When in doubt, blame code gremlins.