Skip to main content

News

Topic: The Screenshot Thread (Read 93921 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Screenshot Thread
Reply #165
Sup guys, this is the lastest screen shot of a game i attempted making during college. I didn't do too much with the game (especially graphically). I'll be posting similar pictures in another thread because I know you guys don't like too much posting of the same project in the screenshot thread. (i have earlier pics of my project)

Its called Maze of the Minotaur.

(btw, the reason why the intro screen looks small is bcuz I didnt have the time to resize and place the animated background as well as the menu. Also bcuz programming wasn't a priority for me in college  :P )
  • Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:42:07 am by sirmattei

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #166
Game looks bad, but in the Ultima way, so it could be nice. Look how well it turned out for Lord British!!

Anyways, if you have a good story and deep gameplay sometimes that all what matters. Some great games had crappy code, so focus on getting it to work before you make it better. The last part always comes with time.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #167
yeah, like I said, I never had alot time to work with it, I'll be the first to admit it could look better. I got the idea from an eps of Batman the Animated series (the one introducing the riddler) and also from playing KingsQuest 6. Its supposed be less battle system, more answer riddles and solve puzzles.

When I was in college, I didn't have access to all the helpful threads sphere had, so I just used what i got (saved some tutorials) and tried to relearn sphere on my own.

Hopefully I'll have some time set aside to add to the game. Btw, thx for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.
  • Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:19:15 am by sirmattei

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #168
By the way if you're planning on making a serious game I definitely have to recommend minisphere, and not just because I made it. ;)  You'll have a lot more useful features to work with, plus a more intuitive/modern API ('new Image' instead of LoadImage, sound.volume instead of sound.get/setVolume(), etc.).  And of course the upcoming Sphere Studio debugger will only work with minisphere.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #169
So, would I have to adjust my code if I put it in minisphere? or would it work like it is? I'm a little unclear on the subject.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #170
Barring a few edge cases wrt function parameter typing, it should run as-is in minisphere.  I put a lot of effort into ensuring near-full backwards compatibility with Sphere 1.5, probably way more than I should have. :P
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #171

All scenes done, but the battle engine has to be updated to make it more compelling, as well as a lot of polishing here and there.  Still, good progress.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #172
Whoa.

Whoa.

The Rainis Manuscript? After all this time? Holy shit.

Reply #173
Certainly never expected to hear about the Rainis Manuscript again!
Nice to see.. ah good times

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #174
Beaker: wow the Rainis Manuscript that game had reached near legendary status back when i first used Sphere in around 2005...

Reply #175
It's definitely got a ways to go, but I'm working on a Chip's Challenge engine in Sphere.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #176
That's awesome, I played the hell out of Chip's Challenge back in the day, but sadly Windows 3.1 programs don't run on modern 64-bit Windows, so it'd be awesome to have a Sphere version.

I see you're using minisphere too ;)
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #177
Same here! I was originally working on it in Sphere 1.5, but minisphere's struct module makes reading the CHIPS.DAT files waaay easier.

Reply #178

Made some progress and new updates, posting to appropriate thread
Have most of the basics down (tile-movement, stats, etc.) -- just needs to be simplified and finished

Still have a few issues however regarding select objects
01. the Windmill
02. the Big Shaded Tree
03. the Walkway
04. House Door
05. Small White Tree
06. the Brick Wall
07. Mossy Swamp Tree
08. the Log Fencing

Could use edits, advice and critiques on such
  • Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:31:59 pm by Ma3vis

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #179
Whoa, that's really well done, considering the two color and low res limitations. Nice work. :D