Skip to main content

News

Topic: neoSphere 5.9.2 (Read 522759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: minisphere 1.1.5
Reply #510
TechDemo_Lithonite2.0 works perfectly on engine.exe, but crashes engine64.exe after selecting to play it from startup. console64.exe informs me that it reaches "Initializing input" before the crash.

Edit: Just realized I can try to debug it with Visual Studio, which I actually forgot I had on here, because I've never really used it.
Anyway, it had this to say:
Unhandled exception at 0x000000013F997AB9 in console64.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000055.
  • Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:18:00 pm by mezzoEmrys

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #511
It crashed at initializing input, interesting.  And this is the 64-bit engine... Hm.  I know that happens on XP, preventing the engine from being used there.  For some reason on some systems it likes to segfault when initializing the Allegro joystick routines, and there's nothing I can do because it's internal to Allegro.

There's no difference between engine and engine64 other than the latter is a native x64 binary and is theoretically faster as a result.  Functionality is the same, so you lose nothing. :)
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #512

TechDemo_Lithonite2.0 works perfectly on engine.exe, but crashes engine64.exe after selecting to play it from startup. console64.exe informs me that it reaches "Initializing input" before the crash.

Edit: Just realized I can try to debug it with Visual Studio, which I actually forgot I had on here, because I've never really used it.
Anyway, it had this to say:
Unhandled exception at 0x000000013F997AB9 in console64.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000055.

mezzo, could you redownload 1.1.5 and try engine64 again?  I just uploaded a hotfix that should fix the crash you're seeing.  In theory this should also allow the engine to run on XP...
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #513
...is a native x64 binary and is theoretically faster as a result...

Them's fightin' words! =P

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #514
Fighting words?  Why?
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #515
Because so many people disagree on it...

Reply #516

I just uploaded a hotfix that should fix the crash you're seeing.

Doesn't seem to work, the only difference seems to be that the error is occurring at 0x0[zeros]019 instead of 0x0[zeros]055, and as far as I know that could just be a memory shuffling thing.
  • Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:03:42 pm by mezzoEmrys

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #517

Because so many people disagree on it...

Hence why I said "theoretically".  ;)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #518

I just uploaded a hotfix that should fix the crash you're seeing.

Doesn't seem to work, the only difference seems to be that the error is occurring at 0x0[zeros]019 instead of 0x0[zeros]055, and as far as I know that could just be a memory shuffling thing.

Huh.  I know there was a bug I found in Allegro where if it fails to initialize XInput it will crash instead of falling back on DirectInput like it's supposed to.  Long story short, it initializes XInput and then doesn't check the return value from the init function.  I fixed it in my own copy of the Allegro source and recompiled, and it got past that step on my XP VM, so maybe I uploaded the wrong file...

Do you have the latest DX runtimes installed?  Contrary to what you'd think, even Win8.1 is missing parts of it out of the box.
  • Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:13:28 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #519

Do you have the latest DX runtimes installed?

I think I do, I seem to have 11.1 based on what information I could find. I'm not sure what else I could do from there to ensure I have the latest I can for Win7.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #520
Hm, there definitely shouldn't be any issues under Win7.  Oh well, you said the 32-bit engine (engine.exe) works fine, right?  I guess you'll have to use that.  Like I said, they are both compiled from the exact same code, so you won't lose any functionality.

Let me know of any other issues. :)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #521
So it might not be too long before minisphere gets module support:
https://github.com/svaarala/duktape/issues/201

;D

ArrayBuffer support is also slated for the next release, which is awesome.
  • Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:48:08 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #522
64bit version IS faster on my machine. :)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #523

64bit version IS faster on my machine. :)

Good to know. :D
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: minisphere 1.1.6
Reply #524
So I was able to reproduce the crashes mezzoEmrys saw with the 64-bit engine.  Apparently Allegro doesn't appreciate being fully shut down and then reinitialized in the same session, which is what happens when ExecuteGame() is called.  At least for me, the crash doesn't always happen, only sometimes.  I will have to refactor the way ExecuteGame() works (I'll put it on the checklist for v1.2), but for now there shouldn't be any issues outside of startup games.  In general, actual games have no need to call ExecuteGame().

Anyway, minisphere 1.1.6 is up, and with the recent fixes it should now work in Windows XP. 8)  @Defiant, if you are still watching this topic, could you test it for me?
forum thread | on GitHub