Skip to main content

News

Topic: How many of us in the world? (Read 5501 times) previous topic - next topic

How many of us in the world?
Just asking, do any of you guys play Dungeons & Dragons?

Re: How many of us in the world?
Reply #1
Always wanted to, but never had anyone to play with or the money to buy the right setup.

Not to mention, don't know how to play.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #2
^ Basically the same as Vakinox... Also, I have enough things to waste time on as it is! :P

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #3
Same boat as Vakinox. I have played it before with a friend, like once. It was fun though.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #4
I played it a couple times.

I was struck by how incredibly long it takes to play. I still play RP games, but not as serious as D&D.

Reply #5
Actually you don't need much to have a game of D&D, just the dice set would do and it should be cheap from wherever you guys come from. Heck, I used to play D&D with my friends with only a twenty sided dice and a lot of made-up rules. Just sayin' that you guys should give it a try if you have the time. For me, sessions usually take around 2 hours, cos we play on roll20.net , and we use skype.

Reply #6
I'm confused do you mean the original board game or the online CRPG. I played neither because I prefer JRPG's. The game mechanics are too heavy but its the RPG great-grandfather of all time.

Reply #7
I agree the rules are heavy, but sometimes that's what I really want from a game. A very, very complicated RPG.

Reply #8

I'm confused do you mean the original board game or the online CRPG. I played neither because I prefer JRPG's. The game mechanics are too heavy but its the RPG great-grandfather of all time.

I meant the board game, although, most D&D players would tear your throat out if you call it a 'board game'.  ;) Actually, D&D has more in common with JRPGs ( at least in mechanics, not emo teens ). For example, the tactical turn based combat, which is absent in most WRPGs. And I definitely agree that the mechanics get a bit heavy at times, like if I wanted to grab a guy and interrogate him there were soo many calculations to be resolved like, which arm am I using? What's my Strength? What's his Dexterity? Am I Encumbered by armor? etcetc. Luckily this being a game controlled by a human, not a computer, the rules can adjusted on the fly, which is actually the smart thing to do. Once again, I recommend giving it a try :) , depending on timezones and other earthly obstacles, I will try to have a session with some Sphere members, and I promise it to be rules-lite :D

Just need to get pass my darn exams for now :(