Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 200416 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.7.0
Reply #420
No problem. :)

In other news, look what I just added to the editor!
  • Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:12:52 pm by Lord English
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #421
@Radnen: I'm working on the new Document framework now.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #422

@Radnen: I'm working on the new Document framework now.

Is that part of your refactorization?
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #423
Yes.  Trying to generalize the docking stuff to make t easier on plugin writers and also make the core cleaner.  See the GitHub issue about it.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #424
@Radnen: I got bored and implemented .ssproj support for you. ;)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #425
Wow, thanks! Sorry if I'm not working on my project all that much. I've been playing the game ARK and relaxing from work. My weekends have all been full and I've had little time to crack open a code editor to write the code.

You either don't have a day job or you must have loads of free time or you really love programming. Whatever it is, I thank you for continuing the development of the editor.

Perhaps this Sunday or Saturday night I'll take a crack at the 'pipeline' and possibly introduce JS minification, and scriptable processors (which will no doubt take a JS engine, likely Jurassic for it's C# flexibility and that I know it the most).
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #426
I work part time so I do have more free time than most, but yeah, I love programming, it's fun. :)

I ended up refactoring the whole settings system in the process, so you may have to reacclimate a bit.  Overall the encapsulation is much better now.  Oh, and I implemented a proper INI writer, sections and all.

I can also confirm that the editor works great on Windows 10.  :D
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #427

I ended up refactoring the whole settings system in the process, so you may have to reacclimate a bit.  Overall the encapsulation is much better now.  Oh, and I implemented a proper INI writer, sections and all.

Don't worry, I've been reading through all the code commits and such. ;)

I was surprised when I saw little to no .INI support out of the gate with .NET. The project never needed a full-on ini solution anyways, but since you wrote one, hey more power to it!

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #428
I think they were trying to get everyone to go to XML, but really that's just too complex for something simple like saving settings.  Simple key=value pairs with optional categories are perfect for that.  Honestly I think the INI format was one of the best things MS ever came up with, certainly better for its intended use than the bloated beast they call the registry.  But I digress. :P

That said, I could see the .ssproj file being XML though.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #429
I was thinking XML because it has a better sense of scoping. INI's are flat. But then again, I'm not sure SphereStudio is at a stage where me have multiple .ssproj files like Visual Studio. Most people tend to make one game at a time per 'solution'. I think it's good to keep that for now.

Oh, I also was thinking about making new spriteset, image, tileset, map and windowstyle editors. I think the map editor is still very power since it had 3 total rewrites by now, it's the other editors that need more attention.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #430
I would think that for a JS-centric system like this, JSON would be a better choice than XML.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #431
Hm, that might be a good idea.  It would allow easy access to the project file from build scripts and the like.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #432
It would also mean that by integrating a JS engine (like you mentioned) you would automatically get a reader, too.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #433
Open Discussion Question

I was using the editor http://brackets.io/ and I liked the fact it was so responsive and cross-platform for being programmed in JS and HTML5/CSS3. I was thinking if this, if you guys would prefer a future Sphere engine to be programmed like this? Cross-Platform styled, and responsive. Running perhaps on mobiles as well?

I'm thinking of starting up this idea, but maybe I'll wait for Sphere Studio 2.0 to come out, or maybe it's better to stop progress right now? But I hate for all the hard work to vanish!! Lord English (aka fatcerberus) is doing amazing things right now to Sphere Studio what with the debug support and all that and I've paved the way for a new project management system that kind of models the Visual Studio .csproj and Solution files.

But there are 2 complaints I hear usually:

1. Not on their platform.
2. Doesn't open because you may not have .NET 4.5
3. (personal opinion) WinForms is outdated. We can move on to WPF, but how long will that last?

I think how brackets was programmed - and how it's UI looks - is a prime example of the future of desktop apps. Plus imagine writing plugins for it in JS and using JSON, etc.

What do you guys think?

I did dabble with GTK forms for Linux/Win/OSX with some success, using Mono, but I mean, Brackets didn't require, well, it didn't require anything really. You just download it, no thrills. Worked right out of the gate. That's what I liked about cross-platform app development with JS. It seems so... perfect.

Edit:
But of course it also wouldn't be hard to write a series of "total conversion" plugins for Brackets. It does require really getting to know Brackets, but at the end of the day the plugins I think would be 90% of the code we'd write anyways for a new editor environment.
  • Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:11:11 pm by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #434
Personally I hate WPF and avoid it like the plague.  Every time I've tried it I end up giving up in disgust.  WinForms I feel more closely models how a GUI app actually works, whereas WPF and XAML seem designed to work more like how HTML/CSS do.  For the web this kind of thing is fine because much content is static and therefore there is usually more data and layout than code.  In a GUI the situation is usually reversed so using that workflow gets awkward.

Honestly, I'm mostly indifferent to this.  Sphere Studio not being able to run under Mono is an issue, though...  I guess experiment and see what you come up, and go from there.  Don't make the mistake of committing to anything early on.  Remember that minisphere started as an experiment too. ;)
forum thread | on GitHub