Skip to main content

News

Topic: How to install/run engine on Mac (OSX) (Read 13315 times) previous topic - next topic

How to install/run engine on Mac (OSX)
I've had trouble locating an actual step-by-step guide in which to get the "SphereEngine" running. I have my "frameworks" folder in the Library folder (which I believe I read I should do), but the engine still does not run. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. Hahaha   :)  :o  :'(

I haven't used Sphere since I had my good ol' Windows 98 maybe 10 years ago. Goodness.

Thanks!
  • Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:24:02 pm by JeeboLion

Re: How to install/run engine on Mac (OSX)
Reply #1
Have you tried the sourceforge site?

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
What I did was move all the frameworks into the Engine.app/Contents/Frameworks, but that failed. It started looking for a framework that wasn't in the package.

If you get it to work, please tell me :D

// Rahkiin

Reply #3

Have you tried the sourceforge site?

Yep, that's where I downloaded it from. Whenever I try to open "SphereEngine" I get the error "SphereEngine cannot be opened because of a problem." I wasn't sure if that was because of the location of the "framework" folder or if it is some other issue. "Config" opens just fine.

Reply #4
You have now reached the end of my expertise  :-\

Last time I tried it, on OS X 10.5, everything just worked. I didn't even need the frameworks archive.

Reply #5
Haha, it's all good. Thanks anyway!

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
BTW, you need to put the .frameworks located in the framework folder, in the ~/Users/<name>/Library/Frameworks/ folder. So without the framework folder itself. (I think the User Library works too, else try /Library/Frameworks). I am not sure from your story whether you copied the folder too or not :)

Reply #7

BTW, you need to put the .frameworks located in the framework folder, in the ~/Users/<name>/Library/Frameworks/ folder. So without the framework folder itself. (I think the User Library works too, else try /Library/Frameworks). I am not sure from your story whether you copied the folder too or not :)

Cool, good to know. Definitely didn't do it that way. SphereEngine still fails to open so I assume my issue is something else entirely. Thanks!

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
What error does it give, exactly?

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #9
I'm now keeping track of this topic. Next time I'm on my MacBook I'll give it a go and see if I can resolve this issue. I'm almost certain it's a misplaced directories (the frameworks) issue since this sounds really familiar to me, but without being in front of the thing I can't confirm it.

Reply #10

What error does it give, exactly?

The exact error is:

"SphereEngine cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure SphereEngine works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

It's pretty vague so I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. The Sphere folder is on the Desktop at the moment, with the frameworks files in the Frameworks folder in the user library.

I'm now keeping track of this topic. Next time I'm on my MacBook I'll give it a go and see if I can resolve this issue. I'm almost certain it's a misplaced directories (the frameworks) issue since this sounds really familiar to me, but without being in front of the thing I can't confirm it.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
  • Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:31:45 am by JeeboLion

Reply #11
What version of OS X are you using? We know it's got serious issues with Mavericks.

Check with the developer to make sure SphereEngine works with this version of Mac OS X

• Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:49:31 am by Flying Jester

Reply #12

What version of OS X are you using? We know it's got serious issues with Mavericks.

Lion -> 10.7.5

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #13
I can only personally guarantee Leopard and 32-bit Snow Leopard compatibility since my MacBook Pro is too old (early 2006 Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro 17") to install 10.7 or newer. I would pleasantly surprised if if works in any capacity in Lion, especially in 64-bit since the thing was a Universal Binary for PPC+x86 rather than x86+x64.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #14

I can only personally guarantee Leopard and 32-bit Snow Leopard compatibility since my MacBook Pro is too old (early 2006 Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro 17") to install 10.7 or newer. I would pleasantly surprised if if works in any capacity in Lion, especially in 64-bit since the thing was a Universal Binary for PPC+x86 rather than x86+x64.

A bit off-topic, but x86+x64 strikes me as a colossal waste of space seeing as any x64 CPU can run x86 code just fine.  Unless the situation is different on OS X than on Windows/Linux?  I've never used any Mac OS past OS 9 way back in high school, so my knowledge in that area is admittedly slim...
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub