Skip to main content

News

Topic: A game I made music for, Punch Club, is somehow doing extremely well (Read 13083 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: A game I made music for, Punch Club, is somehow doing extremely well
Reply #15

This is super-late but congrats, DaVince! Sucks about the piracy but hey, at least it didn't affect your commission, lol.

Didn't you make music for another game? It was like an Atari-style Star Trek-esque game IIRC. I remember seeing the Kickstarter some time ago.

Thanks! And yeah - that game was called Tiny Trek but had been renamed to Bit Odyssey. Unfortunately, I haven't heard or seen much progress from the developer, so I think it's pretty much dead...

Do you have a website for yourself as a music maker?

Well, I have a portfolio site where I put a lot of my work - professional, non-professional, music-related, web design related, game related, et cetera. I need to work on it more though. :P It's all categorized so this is the music I'm showcasing on my site. (I also need to find a way to display Punch Club and Bit Odyssey at the top.)

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16

Thanks! And yeah - that game was called Tiny Trek but had been renamed to Bit Odyssey. Unfortunately, I haven't heard or seen much progress from the developer, so I think it's pretty much dead...

Aww, that sucks. It looked like a really cool game. Also, bleck. Can't call it Tiny Trek 'cause of copyright, even though "trek" is a real, normal word. Stupid. Bit Odyssey sounds cool, though.

Well, I have a portfolio site where I put a lot of my work - professional, non-professional, music-related, web design related, game related, et cetera. I need to work on it more though. :P It's all categorized so this is the music I'm showcasing on my site. (I also need to find a way to display Punch Club and Bit Odyssey at the top.)

Cool. What do you use to make your tracks? 'cause I come up with a lot of little tunes that I wanna draw out into full compositions at some point, and I was basically just thinking of doing the chiptuney-sounding ones in Famitracker, then exporting to whatever external format it'll allow.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #17
Can't call it Tiny Trek 'cause of copyright, even though "trek" is a real, normal word. Stupid. Bit Odyssey sounds cool, though.

He was in his rights to keep calling it Tiny Trek, but I believe he got this polite letter from the Star Trek copyright holders and decided to rename it Just To Be Safe.

Cool. What do you use to make your tracks? 'cause I come up with a lot of little tunes that I wanna draw out into full compositions at some point, and I was basically just thinking of doing the chiptuney-sounding ones in Famitracker, then exporting to whatever external format it'll allow.

For most stuff (including Punch Club) I use OpenMPT, with most of these samples and a few more I generated myself. Punch Club has an interesting mix of samples ripped from NES, Game Boy, C64 and Virtual Boy stuff, and it sometimes uses up to 14 separate sound channels to give it that "full" feeling.

I sometimes mess around with Famitracker too, it was actually pretty easy for me to get into from being used to OpenMPT for years, and the technical limitations of the NES add an interesting challenge to giving your music a certain "sound". It's fun, though. I really admire people who know their way around these limited chips, like the guy who made the Shovel Knight soundtrack in Famitracker.

Oh, also, here's my SoundCloud profile if you're at all interested. I guess that works well as a showcasing for both OpenMPT and Famitracker stuff. :P
  • Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:08:02 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #18
I'm glad you mention the Shovel Knight soundtrack, because that soundtrack was made of awesome.  The whole game honestly felt like a genuine NES experience, which very few retro games have succeeded at.  Even Megaman 9 and 10 got it wrong to some extent (it felt too modern in parts, hard to explain).
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #19
Yeah, I've been playing the game recently and so much of it is just right. As for that NES look - Shovel Knight actually uses more colors than an NES could display on a single screen, but it doesn't feel out of place - rather, it enriches the experience. In any case, I really respect whoever made the music. :)

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #20

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #21
Vince, oh my god! I saw Punch Club on the September 1st Nintendo Direct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpXQtFbRChg (It's exactly at the 13:00 minute mark.)

That's so cool!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #22
Oooh, neat! Thanks for making me aware. :D It'd been shown at E3 of last year too, that was really a blast for me.

That video actually made me aware that Nintendo makes two different Nintendo Direct versions: one for America, with Reggie and other people, and one for Europe, with NOE Satoru Shibata, who has an incredibly thick Japanese accent. And then the rest of the content is pretty much the same (I might have skipped over the Punch Club bit or maybe that announcement wasn't known yet at the time).

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #23
Actually, this recent one was the first North American Nintendo Direct with those other peeps (they're from the Treehouse). From the time they began until his death, Satoru Iwata did the Directs, with occassional Reggie. Since Iwata's death, Reggie's been doing it solo, until this past one which brought out the Treehouse bunch.

It's neat to see, but man, that one guy seemed kinda nervous. The woman and the other guy have been on livestreams and E3 stuff a bunch before, so they seemed a lot more comfortable.