Skip to main content

News

Topic: Hello everyone! (Read 3928 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello everyone!
Hi everyone, I'm new with this. I've been looking for a good engine to create an rpg game and I want to create it all by my self because I want to learn in the process and who knows maybe adopt it as a hobbie, anyways, I would like to know if any of the people here in this forum could make an entire tutorial about creating a game from 0 to the end with this great program or tell me where exactly should I look to learn all the necessary to create a good rpg with this engine.
Thanks for your time!

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Hello everyone!
Reply #1
Hi! Welcome to the community! :)

Making a good RPG with this engine is not easy. I'll say that straight away, for that go to RPG maker. However, making any kind of rpg you want, you came to the right place. Whereas RPG Maker is restrictive, Sphere gives you many choices. The downside is that Sphere can be a complex beast.

There are quite a few tutorials on the wiki here: http://wiki.spheredev.org/Category:Tutorials

But in order to make anything decent you need to know how to program. It's how you can basically do anything you want with a computer. Sphere uses JavaScript (not Java). So I would look up Javascript tutorials online, may I recommend DaVince's Tutorial. The problem with the other online tutorials is that they are web-centric, and Sphere is not a web browser, so adapting those tutorials to Sphere can be a bit tricky if they only mention Web related code. DaVince's was made to work for Sphere, so I'd give it a go.

Welcome to the community! And please, ask any questions if you are stuck. Things have been slow around here lately but the regulars will respond if you have anything to say.

BTW, you said you want to do game making as a hobby? Well RPGMaker helps with thins like story and linear gameplay, Sphere gives you a taste of all perspectives of game design from audio to graphics, code and story. So it does take more work, but still far less than the ultimate game hobby variant: pathing your own way with nothing but basic code libraries and C++. Sphere really is a good option for freeform game design. Takeaway: easy to learn, but difficult to master.
  • Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:56:05 am by Radnen
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2

Hi! Welcome to the community! :)

Making a good RPG with this engine is not easy. I'll say that straight away, for that go to RPG maker. However, making any kind of rpg you want, you came to the right place. Whereas RPG Maker is restrictive, Sphere gives you many choices. The downside is that Sphere can be a complex beast.

There are quite a few tutorials on the wiki here: http://wiki.spheredev.org/Category:Tutorials

But in order to make anything decent you need to know how to program. It's how you can basically do anything you want with a computer. Sphere uses JavaScript (not Java). So I would look up Javascript tutorials online, may I recommend DaVince's Tutorial. The problem with the other online tutorials is that they are web-centric, and Sphere is not a web browser, so adapting those tutorials to Sphere can be a bit tricky if they only mention Web related code. DaVince's was made to work for Sphere, so I'd give it a go.

Welcome to the community! And please, ask any questions if you are stuck. Things have been slow around here lately but the regulars will respond if you have anything to say.

BTW, you said you want to do game making as a hobby? Well RPGMaker helps with thins like story and linear gameplay, Sphere gives you a taste of all perspectives of game design from audio to graphics, code and story. So it does take more work, but still far less than the ultimate game hobby variant: pathing your own way with nothing but basic code libraries and C++. Sphere really is a good option for freeform game design. Takeaway: easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Thanks for the fast response, I'll take a look at the tutorial. I choosed this program because of the freedom to create your game, because you start from 0 and the game is completely personalized if one does all the work. I've used rpg maker but it didn't like me because of all it's presets and searching i found this that is just what i was looking for, i suppose so i hope learning how to use it

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #3
Welcome! Nice to see you're enthusiastic about it. Do note that this will be an endeavour you'll need to have some dedication for! But of course, we're here to support you along the way.
Radnen, looks like you already covered what I wanted to say. :)

Note: my tutorial does try to focus on some practical things in making a game, so I suppose it helps there, but it has a limit. No real details on how to exactly make a menu, item system, etc. but mostly the groundwork that should help you get there by yourself.