Skip to main content

News

Topic: Hello? (Read 6915 times) previous topic - next topic

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Hello?
Place is barren for a while now... Where is everybody?

I have a job now and don't have a lot f time for Sphere. I also am playing a lot more games now to relax instead of writing code when I get home. :P

So, I don't know when my next Sphere contribution will be.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Re: Hello?
Reply #1
I started my third semester not too long ago, and I have recently started trying to plan out the engine for Poncho, but I'm learning more about what the limitations of the system are for what things I'll have to manually code.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #2
Even if I wasn't site admin I check here every day that I'm online.

Now that my semester's over I can resume projects that aren't school-related like the re-skin. I've decided that, against my original judgment and many opinions presented previously, I will introduce it to the forums piecemeal. It's less about easing people into the transition to be not-as-jarring and instead about getting what's done online so that y'all can see progress being made and that I don't accidentally lose it during a blue screen while editing or something.

First re-skin piece is the header and it will be up by the end of the week/month (same thing).

Once the re-skin is completely on the forums it should be minimal work to apply it to the portal, though I'm not sure how I want to handle the wiki. [del]I'll put up a poll in a new thread.[/del] (edit: poll is alive!)
  • Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:58:30 pm by N E O

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #3
Haven't been messing with Sphere for a while now; been giving other hobbies more care instead. So I mostly just check and reply to posts nowadays. And when there's no new interesting posts to reply to, well...

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #4
I still lurk around, but yeah if there's nothing going on I just sit back and wait.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #5
I check in here every time I have internet, although that isn't so often just now.

I'm still chugging away at TurboSphere. Once I go down to California for my internehsip, I may have less free time.

I'm just in a stretch where there's basically nothing to show for my work on TurboSphere. Lots of infrastructure for the new GFX plugin, very little outward-facing updates. Until I get something visible again, I'm just laying low for now.

You know what we really need? People making games.
  • Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:25:07 pm by Flying Jester

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #6

You know what we really need? People making games.

I suspect a lot of people are holding off on that, waiting for something to materialize on the TS/other more-modern engine front.  Sphere 1.5 is a 6-year-old engine after all and really starting to show its age (plus there does seem to be an atmosphere of unspoken stigma against it, can't really explain it but it's there). I'm using Sphere 1.5 for Spectacles, and even for me it gets painful at times.  There've been many instances where I have to ask myself "Should I hold off on this until TurboSphere is released?"  I tough it out, but it's not always pleasant.  The 11-year-old version of SpiderMonkey doesn't help, either.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #7
You're almost certainly right. We've been osbourne'd, and now we have basically no flagship product. The old Sphere code is...really old, so much so that it seems most developers who want to work on the engine believe it is better to start over from scratch.
TurboSphere isn't production ready, Sphere-SFML is closer but now Radnen has other obligations, Jarvix's JSphere/Andromeda is meant for OS X, and is less ready than TS is.

You can always check out sphere-group/pegasus to see the new API, though. I recommend that if you see anything you want to comment on, you do.

Of course, what would also help is if these new engines weren't one-man shows. Anyone who wants to help with the engines really should, even if their contributions may seem small. Even leaving comments, requesting that certain API points or systems be implemented sooner rather than later, feedback would also be helpful.

I for one believe that the old engine does have some certain advantages, actually. It's super portable, and since it uses ancient SM it can run on any processor or OS (unlike the new engines--even TS, which is the most cross platform, is limited to Unix and Windows; x86(_64), MIPSel and ARM32). The main problem is that the old engine has a very old-fashioned API, and while it works, that's not really how computers operate anymore.
  • Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:37:07 pm by Flying Jester

• Rahkiin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
Hey!

Yes, somewhere in some TS topic I said that TS is getting so good (and working on OSX) that I could better spend my time working on TS with FJ than doing an engine myself just for OSX (just for me I think :P).
been doing other stuff too (I like to switch a lot between projects, low concentration).

Also, keeping up with V8 for two engines is awful.

We could look more into TS and Pegasus. My engine is just a plaything it seems hehe.

Greetings

Reply #9
I haven't worked with Sphere in a long while, but I've been starting to do stuff in it again, restarting my robotfindskitten game for resubmission, thinking of starting a arcade style beat 'em up engine, and maybe port this 6502 emulator to sphere (It's already in javascript, which should make things not too difficult)