Skip to main content

News

Topic: Forum text too small on mobile (Read 6560 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Forum text too small on mobile
Some of the text is fine, other text like the forum names are very tiny.  It's not bad on iOS but Android is practically unusable on any browser.  A screenshot from my Galaxy S5 is attached.

Compare the size of the forum names and descriptions to the text in the footer box.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Re: Forum text too small on mobile
Reply #1
Hmm, I never had this trouble on my Nexus 5 using Firefox.

But I also use the other forum theme. Maybe that will make a difference?

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #2
I just switched to the alternate theme and will try that for a bit, but damn, I feel like I just took a trip back in time to the early 2000s. :P
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #3
I like it, it reminds me of the old forums :)

It also makes it quite clear to me when I am and am not logged in.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #4
To be honest, only one thing needs to be done to fix this: add the following line to the page:

Code: [Select]
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

I've found that this tends to fix font sizing on mobile devices in general.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #5
You're probably right, and the irony here is that this would be a moot point if I had completed the custom forum theme sooner.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #6

To be honest, only one thing needs to be done to fix this: add the following line to the page:

Code: [Select]
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

I've found that this tends to fix font sizing on mobile devices in general.

What's weird is that changing the font size in Accessibility settings (I've tried this in both Chrome and Firefox for Android) affects some of the text, but the text that is too small doesn't change size at all regardless of the accessibility setting.  Changing to the old-style theme doesn't help the situation either, although rotating into landscape mode makes it a bit more tolerable (but using a phone in landscape mode is awkward, so... yeah)

On iOS there is also a discrepancy in size between post text and the forum descriptions, however the text remains readable regardless.  I think that's probably just that iOS has a better default font than the Android browsers, though.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
Yeah, font size adjustments are kinda dodgy/not very functional. It sometimes feels like changing/setting stuff like that in the browser actually works counter-intuitively... Once you tell a mobile phone that it's adjusted for mobile, it somehow magically seems to use a comfortable font size for most things.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #8
It seems like for some reason the forum name font size is totally fixed, while the footer scales properly.  If I tell the Samsung browser to zoom to 200%, the boxes get bigger but the text remains the same size.

Must be something with the CSS.  Also, iOS does a better job of rendering the forums in general than any Android browser, for whatever reason.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #9
Also I seem to have just repeated pretty much everything I said a year ago, hehe.  This is why necroposting is bad :P
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
It´s still just a one line change. I actually have FTP access to this place now (because of the front page, which still isn´t finished), so lemme see if I don´t have a quick fix later today... :P
  • Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:26:37 am by DaVince

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #11
All right, I made sure font sizes are consistent on phones now. It would take some more work to actually fit the site width (on the original theme anyway) onto a phone though.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #12
Huh, the page now loads way zoomed in, at least on iOS.  I used to open zoomed-out so you could see the whole page (albeit really tiny on an iPhone 7, hehe).  I also noticed if I refresh the page after loading it the text gets bigger.  Weird.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Yeah, that's the effect of using initial-scale=1. I'll remove that bit as only width=device-width is necessary for not messing with the fonts.
Edit: done. As for making the site actually responsive... I'll give it a look soon.
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:06:19 am by DaVince