Skip to main content

News

Topic: A game I made music for, Punch Club, is somehow doing extremely well (Read 13074 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
A game I made music for, Punch Club, is somehow doing extremely well
So there's this game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/394310/

Basically, the game is a boxing sim/strategy game with some RPG elements. You gain stats and skill points which you use to get new skills, then go into boxing matches, then carefully mix and match your skills to win the match. It's a very cleverly designed game if you ask me.

Anyway, it's actually been out since January, and I made most of the music for it. (Anything that doesn't sound FM synthy.) It never actually dawned on me to post here about it, but in the end, it is an indie game I've been involved with in one way or another, and I'm actually very proud of what the creators made out of it and very happy what role I played in it (and that people like the music!), so why the hell not post it here, y'know? :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: A game I made music for, Punch Club, is somehow doing extremely well
Reply #1
You do music, DaVince?  Maybe you could help me with music for Spectacles?  I've been using random midis I found on some obscure RPG Maker website years ago but it would be nice to have actual tailored tracks for it. :)
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
I do music, yeah! For a long time, actually. (I also wasn't very good for a long time.) Guess I never really advertised it much here in recent years...

Anyway, nowadays I charge for commissions. Since it's you I can definitely do one or two free tunes, but in my current position I definitely wouldn't be able to dedicate my time to a full soundtrack without charging for it (sooner or later, anyway). I hope you don't mind.

Oh, but you can always use the free downloadable tracks I made in the past. Like any of these with a Download button or the music packs on the repo. :)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #3
Oh man, I suddenly feel awful for asking one or two free tunes out of you DaVince. :|

I am using some of your free music in Blockman, but someday whenever I get around to working on it I'll may even pay you to do music for it. I do have cash on me these days.

BTW, despite being silent I have been, lately, poking around my own games, seeing what I can do to them, seeing where I left off. Seeing Punch Club gets me really excited about making games again. (Oh and stardew valley, love, love, love that game).
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4

Oh man, I suddenly feel awful for asking one or two free tunes out of you DaVince. :|

Don't! That's a good while ago, and I wasn't in need of the money back then. I also didn't think I was good enough to do it commercially at the time. :P

I am using some of your free music in Blockman, but someday whenever I get around to working on it I'll may even pay you to do music for it. I do have cash on me these days.

I'm really flattered that you're using my music! And I'd gladly help. :)

BTW, despite being silent I have been, lately, poking around my own games, seeing what I can do to them, seeing where I left off. Seeing Punch Club gets me really excited about making games again. (Oh and stardew valley, love, love, love that game).

Stardew Valley! That game looks great, I definitely want to play it. And I definitely want to see more games from you too! (Although I think you're the one person who has released the most games on Spherical!)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #5
I must say though, I have really been a fan of your music. I think Pokemon has definitely been an influence on you.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Well, thank you very much! That means a lot, coming from you. :)

And maybe! But I'm personally much more of a fan of the complex kind of music you hear in classic Square and Enix RPGs, some music in Game Boy games (some of my faves are Mario Land and Wario Land, so...) and I tend to like the really unique stuff like EarthBound, or the C64 sound. And the MOD/Amiga era of music in general. I'm always fighting against personal limits I'm aware of though...

Not sure what would make my tunes specifically Pokémon-inspired, since I sometimes like them and sometimes don't like them that much. Maybe just because it was another much-played childhood game. :P

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #7

And maybe! But I'm personally much more of a fan of the complex kind of music you hear in classic Square and Enix RPGs, some music in Game Boy games (some of my faves are Mario Land and Wario Land, so...) and I tend to like the really unique stuff like EarthBound, or the C64 sound. And the MOD/Amiga era of music in general. I'm always fighting against personal limits I'm aware of though...

Yep. I can hear that too. I think the funny thing is, that music also influenced Pokemon, so you got that going for you. But Blockman is definitely trying to be like a square/enix type game I'm trying to model it off of the likes of Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana and even LoZ: AlttP.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #8
For me personally, I tend to love almost anything done by Yoko Shimomura.  So Kingdom Hearts, several non-FF Square games, the Mario & Luigi series (!), and probably some other games I'm not thinking of.  I also love the majority of the FFX soundtrack, the entire Chrono Trigger soundtrack, and most FF battle and boss themes.

There is something about Game Boy soundtracks though... When I was a kid I used to play Super Mario Land up to World 2, just to listen to the awesome level music (the level timer was a nuisance here!).  Many other GB games had tracks like that too (DKL and Kirby 2 come to mind).
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #9
Kingdom Hearts has amazingly accurate music that is very close to the original Disney tunes, considering it still relies on a synth/soundfont. I always found that amazingly impressive. The original tunes are very good too. I had no clue she also did the M&L games, those have great music! :)

What I just love about Game Boy music is how they are so limited in what they can do, yet they manage to eak out these fantastic little melodies that don't bore quickly even if you hear them fifty times in a row. There really is an art to doing that.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #10

What I just love about Game Boy music is how they are so limited in what they can do, yet they manage to eak out these fantastic little melodies that don't bore quickly even if you hear them fifty times in a row. There really is an art to doing that.

Yes, I'm thinking of the Dragon Quest theme. I grew up listening to that soundtrack on my GameBoy and hearing it now on the latest game (Dragon Quest Heroes) it's amazing how great it still sounds.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #11
Yoko also did the music for Super Mario RPG (but not the Paper Mario series).  Almost any game she does the music for ends up being about 50% of the reason I love the game, it always fits so well.  For KH it's about 50/50 music and battle.  Beating up stuff with a giant skeleton key is way more fun than it has any right to be. :P

A lot of people (myself included, up until I heard the final boss music in BiS and KNEW) don't realize she did the music for the M&L games.  If you find almost any late-game track, especially final battle themes, from those games on YouTube about half the comment chains will be "This sounds like KH!" or <insert Xemnas joke here> and a reply of "Same composer!"  It's pretty amusing. :D
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #12

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Yep. They actually have their own blog article about it, too. The comments in there are actually pretty insightful too!

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #14
This is super-late but congrats, DaVince! Sucks about the piracy but hey, at least it didn't affect your commission, lol.

Didn't you make music for another game? It was like an Atari-style Star Trek-esque game IIRC. I remember seeing the Kickstarter some time ago.

Do you have a website for yourself as a music maker?