Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61499 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #45
Quote from: Rhuan
- you could do it with a layer render script if you have the player walking on a higher layer than the ground (layer render scripts are like normal render scripts but attached to specific layers of the map)

hmm, the shop maps are only one layer with 4 lines of code embedded. As an example the current shop map I am editing has...

On Enter Map:
GenerateShop("ShopKeeper2", "Bomb", "Key", "shopHeart");
SetRenderScript("ShopTxt()");

On Leave Map:
SetRenderScript("emptyfunc()");
DstryTmp();

GenerateShop() creates all the entities, sets thier position and associates the proper activation scripts per entity for purchasing the items.

ShopTxt() gets the generated items from a temporary variable, draws the ruppee, prices and shopkeeper message.

emptyfunc() is just that... An empty function defined to prevent certain things from occurring.

DstryTmp() clears the values of the temp item variables.

- you could re-draw the player in the render script (currently the map + entities are drawn then the render script is called) so when you have a render script running you could have it draw the player as well so he's on top. (basically whatever is drawn last appears on top)

I can attempt to edit that in somewhere in the script. Though, I'm not entirely sure where.

Although, just now while write this post I had a thought... I could change the position of the prices so they are above the items and not below. That would be just changing the y value of the entities instead of recoding redrawing the player just for the shop functions. Not sure how that would look though.
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #46
Quick Edit and now the text is on top... I also changed the font to be more consistent with the message boxes. Which looks better. Text above or below?
  • Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:51:53 am by Miscreant

Reply #47
Over 400 lines of code later... all of the shops in the game can be created with GenerateShop().

Not just the shops but caves with the letter, the swords, the water of life, the heart containers & the guys who give you random rupees.
  • Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:39:08 am by Miscreant

Reply #48
Forgot to attach this...

Reply #49
Attempting to code the PowerBracelet functionality...

It's got my mind in a whirlwind right now.  In this example the headstone should move over by 1 tile, then make the stairs appear. The headstone never meets the condition to make the stairs appear because the end coordinates are constantly updating with the starting coordinates.

I think for now, I'll take a break from the power bracelet function to code a different command. I'll come back to it once the coding fog lifts and I can better see where my coding error is.

Reply #50
Power Bracelet functionality fixed and recoded in such a way that the function can be used in dungeons to push blocks also. Added functionality that once the block/headstone/rock is moved, the player can not move it again.

See sometimes, you just need to code something else when your stuck. Not thinking about the issue will present the solution without even realizing it.

Side note: I know they are not the best animated gifs. I just quickly put them together to stay with in the forum post size limits.
  • Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:58:53 am by Miscreant

Reply #51
Somewhere, while coding one of the new functions I've created, I broke the functionality of my Ghost Kain interactions... Have find the glitch in that code now.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #52
I love that you're using little gifs to display progress now. I'll also bump up the attachment size by a little bit. :smiley:

Reply #53
Thanks. I like the little gif animations also. Creating them is a lot quicker than creating a video example. File sizes are a lot smaller too.
  • Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:16:33 am by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #54
That's kinda interesting; gifs are a lot more bloated compared to modern videos compressed with a modern codec (WebM et al). I wonder if it's because there's not much movement in your videos. In any case, animation does allow for a better general viewing experience/progress report.

By the way, how do you create your gifs? Use any special tools?

Also, it's definitely worth mentioning that I like how much progress you're making with this! :)
  • Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:38:13 am by DaVince

Reply #55
That's kinda interesting; gifs are a lot more bloated compared to modern videos compressed with a modern codec. I wonder if it's because there's not much movement in your videos. In any case, it does allow for a better general experience.

As an example: The whirlpool video I posted is 29mb, where as my Arrrrrrgh.gif is only 288kb. The gif animation has a much smaller file size.

By the way, how do you create your gifs? Use any special tools?

I found a tiny program called 'Giftedmotion-1.23.jar'. The program itself is only 73kb.

Also, it's definitely worth mentioning that I like how much progress you're making with this! :)

Thanks. ZeC is definitly progressing. There's still a lot of functionality left to create though. I haven't even begun any type of battle system yet and there's still a few minor things I need to adjust.

Also, in doing research into the original LoZ there are bugs that I am taking time to try to not recreate.

Some of them are simple, like if you are in a dungeon and walk through a door you walk over it and not through it.

Others are a little more involved like, the block bugs that let you walk through them if you position yourself just right.
  • Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:41:56 am by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #56
Even if there isn't any sort of battle system yet, progress is progress, and you're getting used to how Sphere works first after all. :)

As an example: The whirlpool video I posted is 29mb, where as my Arrrrrrgh.gif is only 288kb. The gif animation has a much smaller file size.
This is because you used Microsoft Video-1 encoding, which is an ancient codec format with very inefficient compression. The fact that it compresses that much more when zipped is very evident of that. A well-compressed video wouldn't become smaller inside a 7z at all.

In the future, if you want to share even longer snippets, it might be worth looking into something that exports to WebM or MP4 for better compression/file sizes. But I can't guarantee that videos would play as directly as a gif does here, anyway. I'll have to test and possibly enable that anyway. :P

Reply #57
Quote from: DaVince
This is because you used Microsoft Video-1 encoding, which is an ancient codec format with very inefficient compression. The fact that it compresses that much more when zipped is very evident of that. A well-compressed video wouldn't become smaller inside a 7z at all.

Well, the program I was using for the video creation was kind of outdated itself and started to crash alot. That was one of the main reasons I looked into the gif animation.

Sreencaps:
The Tomb of Kain Highwind and Dodongo.

Note:
Dodongo does not move as fast in the game as he does in the animation.
  • Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:12:45 am by Miscreant

Reply #58
New glitch.
Kain's Tomb Door 1/2/etc...
KTD1: true (door exists / false: Key used, door unlocked)
KTD2: Same as above
HaveKey:1 (0: No Key/ 1: Normal Key / 2: Magic Key)
NumKeys: self explainitory

When you touch the door, it opens, updates to false and deducts a key.

When you walk through the door however, it updates both doors as being unlocked...

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #59
Hehe, didn't the original LoZ have a glitch just like that in the first dungeon?
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub