Skip to main content

News

Topic: Duktape - embeddable-in-C/C++ JS engine (Read 17977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Duktape - embeddable-in-C/C++ JS engine
Reply #15
To be fair, both Sphere 1.5 and TurboSphere (at various points) have so far been compiled and run on a wider variety of platforms that MiniSphere has yet.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #16
No, I wasn't referring to that, I was specifically pointing out Radnen's mention of Allegro, I think about a month before I actually considered using it (minisphere started out as an SFML engine, the day after that post).
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #17
I always assumed you got the idea from me. :P It's what I would have done... obviously now that I've re-read the comment. lol It was a solid statement, but you might be able to get more performance out of sfml? Anyways it really largely depends on duktape getting faster for you.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #18
Does nobody love SDL2? ;_;

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #19
Nothing specifically against it, it just happened that I tried Allegro first (after being put off by SFML's over-complex "object-oriented-for-the-sake-of-it" API) and fell in love with its API, so I stuck with it.  I also wasn't that big a fan of SDL1 when I tried it a few years ago, but I don't know how different 2.0 is.

I like that they went with a zlib license for SDL2 though, it used to be GPL (I think?).  Not really big on copyleft licenses.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #20

(after being put off by SFML's over-complex "object-oriented-for-the-sake-of-it" API)

This is why I like using SFML with .NET more than anything.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #21
If there's ever a Sphere museum, this topic belongs in it. :D

Who would have guessed that NEO posting offhandedly about a (at the time) brand new JS engine would kickstart the development of the first successful (and epically so!) Sphere v2 engine?
forum thread | on GitHub