Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 200569 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.2.1
Reply #585
I just added a Sphere 1.x compatibility mode to Sphere Studio:
https://github.com/Radnen/spherestudio/commit/bd9696832e952b43704dae9af95f9c38b829fb94

Now when you open an SGM file, instead of forcibly replacing it with an .ssproj file and making the project incompatible with the classic editor, it still creates the .ssproj but also keeps the game.sgm up to date when saving the project.  Unless you explicitly tell the editor to upgrade the project (needed in order to take advantage of advanced stuff like Cell integration), it will remain in compatibility mode so you can use either editor.

Oh, and also, legacy projects are listed on the Start Page again.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #586
I don't know if this is a known bug, but I had accidentally typed two parenthesis at the start of a function as
Code: [Select]
CreateColor((255, 255, 255);

And after starting up minisphere and informing me of a parse error, Sphere Studio crashed.

Code: [Select]
Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: Sphere Studio.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.2.1.0
  Problem Signature 03: 574db54c
  Problem Signature 04: Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
  Problem Signature 05: 0.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 0
  Problem Signature 07: 0
  Problem Signature 08: ffffffff
  Problem Signature 09: QCQUMZNLVZFTVMBQQ2DV1TYSC5H01EH3
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 6198
  Additional Information 2: 6198e9636daaf1a3eec7a0f2bce0d363
  Additional Information 3: c60f
  Additional Information 4: c60f3d47aa79c2d74c76cad6601c23cf

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #587
Windows 6.1.7601, what is that, Vista?

I'll look into it tonight.  There are some known (to me) glitches related to the debugger that can cause the entire editor to crash, so this might be related.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #588

Windows 6.1.7601, what is that, Vista?

Nope, just bog standard Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1. In fact, even windows 8 is only 6.2, and 8.1 is 6.3.

Found a slightly different bug, sometimes on encountering an error which points to a line number, it seems like SSJ doesn't inform the editor to stop highlighting the line in red, so after a while of writing and debugging, I have to reload the file to get rid of the 4 red lines I can't manually remove.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #589
Okay so the crash on syntax error is a bug in the SSJ plugin, not Sphere Studio itself.  Basically because it's a parse error, there is no callstack, so the debugger gets confused when it goes to highlight the offending line.  Should be pretty easy to fix, maybe I'll do a 3.3.1 release since minisphere 4.0 isn't quite there yet (unless I release it without the new map engine).

Haven't tracked down the cause of the sticky error highlight yet, but I've noticed it a few times myself.  I'll keep testing, I guess an event isn't being fired or something.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #590
On a side note, good to hear someone is getting some mileage out of the Sphere debugger. ;D
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #591
Now that .NET Core has been ported to Linux (I'm pretty sure at least), how difficult would it be to port this to Linux?

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #592
I'm now interested in seeing this on BSD as well! There seem to be mono and gtk-sharp ports available, so feasibility++ ?

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #593
Sphere Studio and Mono don't get along, even on Windows, mostly because of ObjectListView and Scintilla.NET.  As for .NET Core, I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other.

Sphere Studio does run under Wine, but not without a lot of glitches and general brokenness.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #594
So I'm finally satisfied with the color scheme in the code editor.  I wanted to set off different types of tokens so they can be easily distinguished from one another but still prevent elements like braces and operators from fading too much into the background.  By coloring it this way it's easy to skim through code to figure out what it's doing without giving the impression that the syntax is different than it really is (that is, even at a quick glance it's still obviously JS code you're looking at).

Screenshot attached.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #595
I like it. It's nice and subtle. But these days I have been using dark themes, and so I was wondering if we should add a theme selector to it. For the longest time I've wanted to make a style editor, but have so far been too busy/lazy to work on that.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #596
I would like to implement a dark mode, but when I tried it a while back Scintilla didn't cooperate.  The background color was dark but the text itself got rendered with a white background, which was beyond ugly.  I never did figure out how to fix it.

Maybe it would work better now that we're using an up-to-date Scintilla.NET control, I'll do some experimenting later.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #597
I happen to be on Windows right now and wanted to give Sphere Studio a shot, but the last release on Github seems to be from March. Is this right at all? I was so sure the latest release was newer than that...

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #598
Yeah, Radnen hasn't made any new releases.  minisphere always bundles the latest build though.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #599
I don't know if this was fixed in the meantime, but Sphere Studio crashes if I open it by opening an ssproj file. It doesn't crash immediately, though - it seems to open fine at first, but then crashes if I either try to open a different project on the Start Page or try to test the game I just opened.