Skip to main content

News

Topic: Why will no other graphics card work in my PC!? (Read 14535 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why will no other graphics card work in my PC!?
Reply #15
Hmm, the randomly not starting, needing to use the onboard graphics before using the graphics card, but everything working fine once it starts, does sound like it might be a different issue.

I had a similar problem with a machine a little while ago. I had to fiddle around with the graphics forever to get video (it was an SLI machine, so there were a lot of things I could try). The onboard graphics worked about half the time. After a while I found out that no matter how the cards were arranged or hooked together or even just trying one at a time in different slots, it would almost always start with half the ram pulled out. After a couple months that stopped working nearly as well, and I figured out that it worked better with the two sticks of ram in the other two slots. I thought it was ram, but the ram worked great in another machine I had. After a lot of messing around with it, it turned out to be a bad motherboard.

Reply #16
The motherboard thing wouldnt surprise me. Considering the card wasnt held in so was loose.

You did sat that its likely that would damage the motherboard right?

Reply #17
Very likely.

I know that when I forgot to plug in the six pin power connector to my graphics card, it fried the motherboard and not the card. And once I tried to hot-plug an AGP graphics card into a computer (I've done that successfully with ISA and sometimes PCI cards, though never graphics cards--but you need to have a very steady hand), and it fried the motherboard then, too. I wouldn't recommend trying it.

It's been my experience that such things are not very bad for the card, but terrible for the motherboard.
  • Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:08:03 pm by Flying Jester

Reply #18
This is worrying information...

Reply #19
Ha now i get this. Nothing was removed and it worked again literally seconds later.

Just popped up randomly

Reply #20
Direct3D 11 device...removed!? I've never seen anything like that. Although it does make me wonder what would happen if I pulled a PCIe card out while the machine was running...I'll probably have a reason to do that someday...

Bad drivers perhaps? I find that doubtful given the situation. Is it a new model of card? Perhaps you need different drivers to properly go with the UEFI flash? Perhaps the UEFI flash only works right with certain driver revisions?

A very stranger error to get in any case.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #21
I actually had something similar happen to me with faulty RAM. ???
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #22
Ha now i get this. Nothing was removed and it worked again literally seconds later. Just popped up randomly

Just a guess but I ran into this the other day with a friends comp. It would not boot up and I went through everything racking my brain why it would not do so. So I said screw it I will disassemble everything, clean her up and go from there. Once I pulled the ram out and cleaned the sticks, I put them back in and said lets just see what happens. The pc booted right away. Somehow the ram was not being noticed and just by cleaning them cured his problem.

Just by seeing the ram problem is what me think of this issue my friend was having. His ram was securely in place and somehow just maybe from dust was creating a problem with the boot up. I have never seen a computer do this before but do know a comp will not boot unless ram is installed so maybe something is going on with your ram like Radnen suggested.

I looked at the back of the pc and the card they "fit" is crazy loose? They didn't fit any screws to the case so it was just that one plastic clip on one side of the PCIe that was holding it in? I assume that is the problem.

PCIe cards just need one or two thumb screws near the edge that attach it to the case. There's no screws or anything that attach it to the motherboard itself, just the plastic PCIe clip.

So to get things straight, does it boot when you're just using IGP?

• Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:24:43 am by Vakinox

Reply #23
So to get things straight, does it boot when you're just using IGP?

If IGP is "Internal" (onboard) Graphics then Yes. Otherwise Im not sure what that is.

I actually had something similar happen to me with faulty RAM.

Y'know, Ive had a few different people mention random faults with their PCs that evidently were caused by the Ram. Its odd. On that note though the PC was only bought in February so I would hope not...

One thing I would like to note about that message is that the only consequence was my game crashed.

Still turned on, still working, same resolution, still plugged into the graphics card. Just crashed Batman

Bad drivers perhaps? I find that doubtful given the situation. Is it a new model of card? Perhaps you need different drivers to properly go with the UEFI flash? Perhaps the UEFI flash only works right with certain driver revisions?
I did reinstall the drivers. I was really worried about doing it incase I "undid" whatever they did at the shop. Sweating all the way through...

PCIe cards just need one or two thumb screws near the edge that attach it to the case. There's no screws or anything that attach it to the motherboard itself, just the plastic PCIe clip.
No, not the motherboard, but there should be a screw into the case. There is usually a metal cover that fit over all 4 spaces on the back that would hold the cards in. With one screw onto the case itself.

Unfortunatly the shape of the graphics card prevented me from using that. Take it off... Then there are 4 screw holes for the four corresponding card spaces, as well as lining up with the "grove" on the cards themselves. So its defiantly meant to be there. Otherwise if you plug your monitor in too hard your gonna knock it right? Hell I noticed and im pretty gentle

Perhaps the UEFI flash only works right with certain driver revisions?
I like this idea. Im not fond of work-arounds. They can have limitations

Reply #24
IGP does mean internal graphics.

That crash may just be a bug in the drivers, the game, or even in DX (or even a perfect storm of all three).

I actually had something similar happen to me with faulty RAM.

Y'know, Ive had a few different people mention random faults with their PCs that evidently were caused by the Ram. Its odd. On that note though the PC was only bought in February so I would hope not...

In my case, the RAM and Motherboard were both only a couple months old.

Sometimes you get faulty parts, sometimes only slightly faulty. Some combinations of components don't perfectly play well together. I find that a lot of problems first manifest themselves in the first half a year or so of use.

Reply #25
Just thought id follow up on this. I did try replacing all the ram, made no difference. A lot of wasted money there

The card still does not work properly.

Everytime I restart the PC (usually because windows MAKES me to finish updates or things I just installed) the graphics card fails. The PC tries to start but it cant.

So I have to pull the whole unit out, connect a monitor to the onboard graphics and restart

Then I get the usual "Please wait while we try to repair your PC" message. This obviously returns "unable to resolve problem"

I have to restart again, boot all the way into windows. Shut the PC down again. Swap the monitor back over and boot up again (And this does not ALWAYS work, therefore I have to repeat the steps)

Strange thing though. I have 3 monitors, if I leave the other two plugged in while I do this, they infact DO turn on. I thought you couldn't run the graphics card and onboard at the same time?

Saying that though, this is temper mental too. I thought of just connecting one of the monitors to it and leaving it there. But sometimes THAT screen doesn't turn on? Its plugged in now and not working, yet when I went to work it was?

So after that horrible technician telling me that I just didn't know what I was doing, apparently she doesn't either

then I read about the retailer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_World_(retailer)

PC World has attracted criticism in a number of areas. Common complaints include:
Failure to honour statutory responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act (see controversies below)
Promotion of goods with misleading or incorrect information (see false advertising below)
Promotion of extended warranties (also known as insurance and support packages)[3]
Customers are required to use out-sourced, local rate telephone support for hardware issues or premium rate telephone lines (£1/minute, except for set-up which is 75p/minute) for software issues, unless an extended warranty has been purchased[4][5]
Overcharging for repairs and lack of technical competence among technicians from seven sampled stores[6]

In 2005, a Which? survey ranked PC World joint last for customer satisfaction.[7] In 2006 PC World attempted to get away from its reputation for having sales staff on up to 20% commission who would therefore use high pressure sales tactics with its "One Team" marketing campaign.[8] This involved adverts in major newspapers claiming staff no longer received commission, however this claim is misleading. Staff now receive a bonus based on the performance of the entire store as a whole (up to £200[citation needed]), meaning that pay is still linked to performance. The bonus is also based on other non-monetary metrics, such as customer satisfaction. To compensate the 275 highest earners under the old scheme for reduced bonuses, their basic pay was raised by 16% from around £11,000 to around £13,000 per year.[9]

In response to the perception that PC World staff are often young and lacking in knowledge and communications skills, in 2007 a set of e-learning courses called "The Power of Knowledge" were completed by 6,000 staff[10] and the results were incorporated into their Christmas bonuses as an incentive for staff to improve their knowledge.

In January 2008 a survey for Which? revealed that PC World was ranked in the bottom ten retailers in the UK.[11]

I really don't understand why this acts in such a manner. Im thinking im gonna have to take it to a professional but they have quoted £150! (like $200)

Any advice guys? Im clearly not gonna be able to sort it myself, Im not confident the people at the store have the brain capacity either. Im totally stumped. PC was only bought in February. I am seriously thinking about demanding a return but the unit DOES function without this graphics card. Despite me being very clear with the staff at sale that I NEEDED to upgrade that particular feature as it was subpar...

They told me "no problem, pop any card from the store in and it will go straight away, loading up the windows graphics drivers until you could install the nvidea ones"

• Rukiri
  • [*]
Reply #26
still sounds like you don't have enough power or the gfx card itself is damaged.