News

Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 200720 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.6.0
Reply #225
Well, just got done with a massive overhaul of the codebase, moving the rest of the editing code out into dedicated plugins in the process.  Sphere Studio is now fully plugin-based. :D  Now I'm just waiting for Radnen to merge the modifications, and we're good!
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #226
Good lord, I just went to switch the sound plugin over to BASS instead of irrklang, and the .NET API for BASS is atrocious.  Seriously, you have no idea.  They literally just made a big static class and dumped the entire C API into it verbatim.  No objects or anything, and all the handles are ints (not even IntPtrs!)  So for now I think I'm going to hold off on that. :P
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #227
Great changes Lord English!

I'm going in now to do some styling updates. I want to try out a different color theme... What do you think of carbon-fiber black?
  • Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:54:37 pm by Radnen
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #228
I don't know, I feel the current blue theme is a nice neutral color for development (hence why VS uses a similar shade), the black look might prove to be overly distracting. I'd really have to see it in action to give a proper opinion, though...
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #229
LordEnglish, you can take a look if you want now.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #230
Hm, not bad.  I noticed you increased the font size in the dialog forms, might want to increase the default script font size from 10 to 11 though (via SphereLexer.xml), if that's what you're going for.  10-point Consolas is rather tiny at 1080p and up, and gets pretty straining during long coding sessions.  As for the dark look itself, it's a lot better than I was expecting.  A darker scheme does make sense for a game IDE, you want a bit more contrast than general-purpose development.  Is there any way to also change the color scheme on the dock panels to match?

My only complaint is the new main icon, it has no contrast.  The hammer should stand out a bit more from the background, I think.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #231

My only complaint is the new main icon, it has no contrast.  The hammer should stand out a bit more from the background, I think.

I might get my brother to make a new icon. Or I can try another retooling with a larger hammer icon.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #232
Larger hammer would help, but it still needs more contrast.  The hammer is too dark and gets lost in the circle, especially with the brightness turned down (I try to keep my laptop in Eco mode to save battery).
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #233
Okay, I went back to the orange icon and updated it. I like the new bold look, I think that version just has a more standout quality than the black version.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #234
Yeah, wow, this icon looks much, much better.  Looks more modern :)

One thing, though: You should add a 256x256 icon to be fully up to current Windows (that is, Vista and later) specs.
  • Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:43:03 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #235

One thing, though: You should add a 256x256 icon to be fully up to current Windows (that is, Vista and later) specs.

I can't, I'm using an online icon tool, and it only goes up to 64*64 sized icons: http://www.xiconeditor.com/

For a filetype often used by Windows I haven't found a good icon editor. There are so many crappy ones out there and I don't trust them.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #236
IcoFX is really good, it's commercial but I'm pretty sure they have a free version.
forum thread | on GitHub

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #237
I've been using free IcoFX Portable (should be on PortableApps) for a super long time. It's how I compiled the Spherical logo to icon format.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #238
I just added a style prototype to the latest version on the repository. Basically you can use 1 of 5 built-in styles (color scheme with font and image choices) or make your own and throw it into a plugin. It's fairly bare-bones right now, but I'm aiming to expand on it. Already the styling looks pretty good despite the limited number of styling options.

I'll also use graphics to create more exotic styles and give the option to style specific controls and not just general controls (which can look odd at places).

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #239
This is nice, Radnen!  The black theme with Tahoma as the font really makes it look like a game-making tool now.

So what is the API for doing this with a plugin? Or didn't you implement that yet?
forum thread | on GitHub