News

Topic: The Sphere Studio v1.2.1 (Read 201068 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Radnen's Sphere Studio v1.1.5.0
Reply #180
Yeah, I didn't get any such message, and that's with the most recent files from your repo...if you click the "what settings are applied?" link, what does the Help info say?

Also, which build? x86 or x64?
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #181
What settings were applied takes you to a shitty MS help page on what the compatibility assistant is.

I'm running it in x64.

Edit:
"A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in SoundTestPlugin.dll"
  • Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:45:50 pm by Radnen
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #182
In my experience, the Irrklang DLL you have in the the repo only works on x86, if I compile for x64 I get a platform mismatch error as soon as it tries to load the DLL (I.e. upon loading the SoundTestPlugin).

Edit: File not found... That's interesting.  Any way you could expand the exception and see what the file it was looking for is?
  • Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:49:17 pm by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #183
Hmm, you are right about that. I thought I had it working in x64, but I guess not.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #184
Yep, just compiled to x64, got a bunch of compile warnings about architecture mismatches, and sure enough, a FileNotFoundException citing the IrrKlang DLL when trying to enable the SoundTest plugin.  Compile for x86, everything goes off without a hitch (save for the momentary lockup mentioned earlier).  I wonder if there are any 64-bit binaries available for IrrKlang...

Edit: Nope, doesn't look like it, irrKlang is 32-bit-only according to their site, even under Linux.  Looks like we might have to look for another audio library if we want to have x64 support.  Might want to let Jester know too, since I think he's using irrKlang for TurboSphere...
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:25:30 am by Lord English
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #185
Well IrrKlang was supposed to be 64 bit by now. Now I need to search for a good sound library that is also subsequently free to use. Bass.net looks good. But ugh, it's license came straight out of hell.
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:39:07 am by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #186
What about FMOD?  It was awesome when I used it years ago, don't know how OSS-friendly it's license is though.  BASS might be better though, foobar's MIDI plugin uses that and it lets you use SF2 sound fonts, which is awesome.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #187
Bass is really cool, and that's what I use for TurboSphere. That would also let TurboSphere and Sphere Studio share a library. Bass's plugin system is really slick, but I have to say it doesn't work absolutely flawlessly on Linux (plugins can't seem to overload the stream opening functions, although that's not vital).

I do agree, the license is a little annoying, but it doesn't look terribly different from the irrKlang license to me.

Also, the lack of 64-bits is why I didn't use irrKlang for TurboSphere. I'm quite done with 32-bits, and now I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to be as well so I can finally just distribute win64 binaries.
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:27:33 pm by Flying Jester

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #188

Also, that's why I didn't use irrKlang for TurboSphere. I'm quite done with 32-bits, I only compile TS for Win32 because I know I can count on most people who can't or won't compile it themselves being able to run win32 programs.

Actually, unless you need to full capability of 64-bit (i.e. access to more than 4 GB of RAM, unlikely a 2D engine like TS would ever need that much), the general recommendation has always been to build for 32-bit anyway.  It won't be any slower (32-bit isn't emulated like 16-bit is, you're using real Win32 binaries), and compatibility is better.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #189

Actually, unless you need to full capability of 64-bit (i.e. access to more than 4 GB of RAM, unlikely a 2D engine like TS would ever need that much), the general recommendation has always been to build for 32-bit anyway.  It won't be any slower (32-bit isn't emulated like 16-bit is, you're using real Win32 binaries), and compatibility is better.

Well, it can be a little faster because 64-bit programs have access to twice as many registers, right? Although 64-bit pointers use twice as much memory, so it's a trade-off.

Reply #190
Yes. Twice as many general purpose registers, loading into vector registers from general purpose registers takes fewer cycles, and probably some other things I'm unaware of. Nothing super awesome, but every bit helps.

I try as hard as I can on my Arch machine to use 64-bits only (and have succeeded so far). I want to use the best software (in whatever family of OS I am using at the time, I apply this to Windows, too) for the machine that I can. If I have a 64-bit machine, I should try and use a 64-bit OS and 64-bit software.

And using V8, you only have 2 GB for script in 32-bits, but you have 4 GB of memory for scripts in 64-bits.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #191
My recommendations:

1.   Consistency; whatever people hear in the engine should be what people hear in the editor. This desire may be nullified by using a tracker like Modplug over something closer to the final audio like Schism when making modules, however.
2.   As unlimited as possible; Sphere is still a GPL open-source engine with the ability to allow commercial projects. The dev group (ie, those working on the various versions of the engine and editors) needs as few limitations as possible in the vanilla distribution to allow end users to choose free or commercial status with a minimal amount of fuss.

That being said, this is a discussion that's been had a few times previously (Jester and Radnen were also involved in the discussion, among others) and the final decision was to use software that has a free license but also have the end user have to pay to use the relevant commercial license of included software should they choose to release a project commercially. Unity3D does this, as well as Unreal Engine (has student & indie licenses) and older versions of idTech; I don't know if CryEngine does this, however.

In this respect, I will be fine with choosing either irrKlang or BASS, but make sure it's used by all relevant Sphere programs; add FMOD to that list of choices if they've actually updated their capabilities to include formats previously covered by Audiere.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #192
Question!

How's development? Especially interested in knowing if there's any cross-platform development in this, considering what I always develop on. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #193
I seem to be the official bug-fixer and I haven't found any bugs in the past week or so, so I guess that's a good sign. :)  I'd say it's ready for another release, but that's ultimately up to Radnen...
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #194
Okay, that's good to hear!

I wouldn't mind helping Radnen get this to work on Linux... through testing, not really coding. :P