News

Topic: The Screenshot Thread (Read 94945 times) previous topic - next topic

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: The Screenshot Thread
Reply #75
No, don't add another color. Change the black so it's between the two, of course! You showed a lighter version and a darker version, how about one that sits in the middle. No need to add another color, just change that dark tone.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #76
How dis look [first one] compared to the others?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #77
Much, much better. :)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #78
Yeah, I think it looks great, too. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #79
Nice, GB-style graphics :D  I always liked the feel of the B&W Gameboy games, gave them a neat atmosphere unmatched by any other system.  I always felt that the DX remake of Link's Awakening hurt the game for that very reason.  Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome conversion, probably one of the best B&W-to-color conversions out there... but the monochrome GB graphics lent the game a dreamlike atmosphere that was totally destroyed in the conversion.  For anyone who knows the plot twist in that game, losing that atmosphere is a big deal.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #80

Use [img] tags when you can, for future reference.
And might I suggest another web-host? www.imgur.com
Tailored specifically for images, without clutter and includes tags in links so you can copy it without having to edit.

. . .

Using shadows definitely give the illusion of height, but the blurring doesn't much but become a nuisance really.
Question: Is everything in the screenshot created from Pixelart, or are you using 3d renders and placing them on the map?

It's textures I found on the Net and converted to tiles on the Sphere Editor.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #81
The new and improved trade menu. When you sell an item it goes into the other persons inventory (shop or not), and they get to use the item. I want to try and experiment with trading and put items in all NPC's pockets. Thanks to persist this is now possible. :)

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #82
Well that's one happy trader :D 

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #83

Well that's one happy trader :D

Well, that's the player sprite, they switch in and out depending on if you are buying or selling. Since it's selling, it's the player.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #84
@Rad: That'll definitely come in handy. Can't wait to see more.
Don't think I can recommend anything, looks great. Have you experienced any problems with persist map related though (crashing when switching)?

In the mean time, been doing some trips to Pixeljoint for some help.
They educated me on the limits of the graphic restrictions, saying 3 + alpha applies to the sprite
But 4 colors apply to the tiles, according to their words.
And I think the update is a little over my head:

Trying to ground it, make it work, but I think this might be a little too complicated for me.
Should I go back to the basic graphics, or carry on with these new ones?

Reply #85
@Vakinox
The new graphics look great!

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #86
Vakinox: The new graphics look great, but seem a bit messy. Tighten up the lines and I think you'll have a wonderful style for a GB game. :) Also, no I haven't had crashes with persist when switching maps; it's not likely a persist issue as it is a mapping related issue, make sure all tile references are accounted for.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #87
It depends entirely on if you want to go for an unique, sketchy look and challenge yourself with the pixel art like that, or that you want to keep going with the very classic "feels like Gameboy Final Fantasy" style.

I think both could work, but the style on the right makes it feel more like your own game. You can really challenge yourself to improve pretty quickly in a short period of time there too, I think.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #88
Redid the interior walls of bunker-caves. Still a WIP.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #89
Looks fantastic man. But how are the rooms linked together?