Skip to main content

News

Topic: BigYellowSeedSim (Read 4838 times) previous topic - next topic

BigYellowSeedSim
Maybe this doesn't qualify as a project, but it is what I am working on with Sphere. It may very well end up as just one more abandoned RPG game idea. I am learning how to use Sphere bit by bit. The main theme is the breeding of corn/maize. I am starting with illustrations I can use for textual instructions, then I will make animations of some of the instructions and then a fantasy adventure RPG with puzzles and possibly goal-based scenarios. For exterior scenes I am currently using Daniel Eddeland's farm tileset that is available at Open Game Art ( http://opengameart.org/content/lpc-farming-tilesets-magic-animations-and-ui-elements). I have slightly modified it by making untextured path/aisle tiles and some tiles to represent soil marking. So far I have made a simple tractor sprite and a wooden stake from a slightly different perspective. I made the wooden stake from a picket fence in a rural tileset. I need to learn a lot more about making pixel art and programming Sphere. I am using the Sprites from Aquatis by Metallix creations until I get my stickmen with transparent bermuda shorts made. Actually, I am thinking about making a sprite like Fixit Felix with blue jeans. I tried giving Radnen's Hero a dye job and brush cut. I am considering using Plantman's 3d Blender people for some posed shots. Currently I am working on a simple soil marking animation animation with the tractor.
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:35:10 pm by laserblue

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: BigYellowSeedSim
Reply #1
What a strange mix of sprites! This looks really cool. I had an idea of doing a farming simulator as well, in the vein of Harvest Moon. I got sorta far (a complete planting system and day/night cycle. I stopped when I was working on the NPC personality system: the one from Harvest Moon/Rune Factory where if you give a certain item to someone they'll like you more, or if you talk with them, or do deeds for them.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Re: BigYellowSeedSim
Reply #2
Yes, it's a very strange mix of sprites that other people have made. I eventually will make my own semi-transparent textbox with a portrait on the left side and a name cartouche above like in RPGMaker VX etc. There is so much art work to make and I am no artist or even a programmer! I have heard that making an RPG must be a team effort and I am just one person. Looking over the code of AQUATIS, I can really appreciate the amount of work one must put in. The object oriented code looks complicated too but I'll figure it out. I like the size of the sprites Metallix made for Aquatis but getting all the art work on the same scale is looking like its going to be a chore.  I like your monk sprite and might ask if I can use it as a reminder of Gregor Mendel and the resident Genetics expert. I have portraits to make and lots(!) of other artwork that I can't find online. I got lucky with the farm set. I don't even own a desktop computer anymore! I'm currently working on how to make an animation for the marking of lines in the field. I need to get my code in a proper set of object oriented update and render functions. I need to make a tractor with a 3/4 overhead perspective to match my 3/4 overhead stakes. Next, I am going to make art for a 100 ft. measuring tape to be used by two characters to measure where to place wooden stakes for marking the pathways/aisles between ranges in the Nursery. I will make a static sprite of a set length first and static pictures. Later I will make a dynamic animation of a lengthening measuring tape.
  I saw pictures of your blockman(?) pioneer sprite hoeing away in a field. It looks good and so do the tiles. I want to eventually make an animation of a character hoeing lines across the field as well as the marking of lines with a mule or horse and with a wooden two-prong rake pulled dragged by a character (Sometimes the tractor might not be ready).