News

Topic: neoSphere 5.9.2 (Read 524358 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: minisphere 4.2.4
Reply #1380
Thanks, it crashes on Win10 too.  And, well, this is embarassing.  It crashes here:

Code: (c) [Select]

source = sfs_fslurp(g_fs, filename, NULL, &source_size);
code_string = lstr_from_cp1252(source, source_size);
free(source);

source is NULL because main.js didn't make it into the dist (it's not mentioned in the Cellscript).  This ultimately leads to a crash.

It should have given you an error that main.js didn't exist rather than crashing, I'll need to fix that.

edit: By the way, you don't need a game() function for Sphere v2, and in fact unless the engine is running in 1.x compatibility mode the function will be completely ignored.  Sphere v2 should be written like you'd write a Node.js script.
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:11:38 pm by Lord English
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #1381
Well, now I also wonder: how did main.js not get referenced? I literally just created a new project in Sphere Studio and those files were already included. I guess there's something to fix there too?

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1382
Yeah, the project template is probably broken.  I always forget to update that when I reorganize stuff.  It was originally made for Sphere 1.x where all scripts go into the "scripts" folder.  For now you can fix it by adding this to the Cellscript:

Code: [Select]

install(files("main.js"));

Sorry about that.  :-[
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1383
Thanks, I'll do that. That seems to work, at least! If I keep my other scripts in scripts/, should I be fine for the time being?

Edit: wait, it doesn't work properly after all. My script has one GetKey() but it is ignored and minisphere just quits right away. Same deal if I do while (!IsAnyKeyPressed());...
Edit 2: Oh wait. I guess game() isn't where Sphere starts by default anymore. Gotta start reading up on the documentation!
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:37:39 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1384

Oh wait. I guess game() isn't where Sphere starts by default anymore. Gotta start reading up on the documentation!

Yep, I mentioned that above, guess you missed it.  minisphere completely ignores the game() function if you're running in Sphere v2 mode because everything is a module (like Node).  Write your scripts like you were writing a Node.js program.  Obviously it's not ignored in Sphere 1.x compatibility mode because that would break... well, pretty much everything. :P
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1385
Oh, I did miss your edit. I'll be doing it like that from now on then. :)

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1386
Okay, both the crash and project template are fixed in the latest build on GitHub.  Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Unfortunately Sphere v2 mode doesn't get much testing; I still need to run Specs in v1 mode because it relies heavily on RequireScript() and stuff going into the global scope, which doesn't work when everything runs as a module.  Some example projects I can test against would remedy that, but I've been too lazy to put anything together.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1387
Nice, will get it right away. :)

And I'm fully planning on creating a Sphere game with the new API in the coming weeks, so hopefully that will help. By the way, the API seems outdated again; Keyboard is undefined. Um, gonna check that changelog again.
Edit: I see, the API reference is actually ahead this time and it's still "keyboard" in this version. Gotcha.
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:51:21 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1388
Yeah, I'll release 4.3.0 in a day or two and then everything will be in sync again. :)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1389
One quick change I want to make before release is for `Dispatch.later()` to be frame-perfect rather than wall clock timed.  This way it can be used to accurately time in-game events.  I might still have it take a value in seconds, but the actual timing would be based on frames under the hood.  For example if running at 60fps, then 2 seconds translates to "120 frames".
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #1390

Oh, I know about that, that's why I always run them in a terminal. But it still wasn't outputting anything by using the minisphere command.

No, that's what I meant - even if you have a terminal window, if the executable was compiled as a GUI application, Windows won't allow it to print anything.

It will if you manually fflush after every newline.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: minisphere 4.3.0
Reply #1391
minisphere 4.3 is out, and it includes a ton of new stuff: the new Dispatch API, promises, Reflect, miniRT enhancements, frame-perfect timing, better Sphere 1.x compatibility (it now runs Kefka's Revenge!), API refactoring, and a bunch of bug fixes.  Get it today--and get eaten by a giant pig tomorrow! :pig_nose:

I'm especially proud of the Dispatch API, as it brings the functionality of Sphere 1.x update, render and delay scripts engine-wide.  And you can set up multiple update and render jobs, so it ALSO works like the old hook-list script with the added bonus of being able to control the order using priorities.  It's quite useful!
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #1392
@Eggbert: It looks like you forgot to update the .tar.gz for the Arch release again, it's still the one for 4.2.4.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #1393
I updated the AUR package.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1394

minisphere 4.3 is out, and it includes a ton of new stuff: the new Dispatch API, promises, Reflect, miniRT enhancements, frame-perfect timing, better Sphere 1.x compatibility (it now runs Kefka's Revenge!), API refactoring, and a bunch of bug fixes.  Get it today--and get eaten by a giant pig tomorrow! :pig_nose:

I'm especially proud of the Dispatch API, as it brings the functionality of Sphere 1.x update, render and delay scripts engine-wide.  And you can set up multiple update and render jobs, so it ALSO works like the old hook-list script with the added bonus of being able to control the order using priorities.  It's quite useful!

Nice! I've been wanting to try out the new features. :)