Skip to main content

News

Topic: The Screenshot Thread (Read 94933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Screenshot Thread
Reply #60
I like the colours a lot! It's like the Windows 8 GUI.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #61
Yeah, I experimented with a more monochromatic "accent color" system for a little while (so I could match the color of the HUD to the environment; I jokingly dubbed it the "AmbiLight battle system" :) ), but ultimately I liked the more colorful version better.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #62
Target selection in the Spectacles battle engine: The full name of the targeted battler is shown, along with their active status effect(s) and HP/MP.  I may eventually have it show the full compliment of stats (VIT, STR, DEF, etc.) as well.  Seeing enemy info other than name and statuses will require use of Scan, like in FF.  Otherwise, you just get the Boss's lifebar and that's it. :-)
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #63
Not counting the replacement of graphics placeholders with actual graphics, this is most likely what the final Spectacles battle screen is going to look like, or very close at least:
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #64
Ok, so here I have a top-down map. The problem with doing top down maps ( at least for me ) is that there is virtually no way to distinguish a 3-storey building from a single storey one. Hence, I used the Blur filter and added some extra shadows to the larger building below to give the impression of height. You know, when objects are near the camera, it blurs a bit...

So my question is, does it give the impression of height?

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999317_10200818317132323_56114670_n.jpg

had to use this link method thing cos the pic was too big to attached. it says there .jpg cos this is uploaded to Facebook.

Reply #65

Use [img] tags when you can, for future reference.
And might I suggest another web-host? www.imgur.com
Tailored specifically for images, without clutter and includes tags in links so you can copy it without having to edit.

. . .

Using shadows definitely give the illusion of height, but the blurring doesn't much but become a nuisance really.
Question: Is everything in the screenshot created from Pixelart, or are you using 3d renders and placing them on the map?
  • Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:51:48 pm by Vakinox

Reply #66
Wow. I have been enlightened lol. Thanks, Vakinox :D

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #67
@Angry_Pirate:
It's very hard to make height in a topdown game. One of the common limitations is to juts not show height. It's like not having doors on the north or east/est facing sides in 3/4 games (yeah some do, but it takes some imagination).

The only other option for you is to slightly mimic perspective by showing some of the south wall, this won't make it a true topdown, but at least you can detect height to a degree.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #68
Hmm I'll try that... and yea, I switched to top-down cos of the 3/4 view restrictions...seemed waaay too weird for me.

Reply #69

Question: Which do you all like more?
Without Black, or With Black

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #70

Hmm I'll try that... and yea, I switched to top-down cos of the 3/4 view restrictions...seemed waaay too weird for me.

There more restrictions on top-down! If you wanted less I'd go with the Ultima 7 styled 135 degree oblique view.

@Vakinox: I've tried to do GB colors before and found that black makes it look far more closer to the original styled used by games of the era. So, I'd go with black, it contrasts far better.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #71
That's a really tough one... Both look great, and the black one looks more defined, but the non-black one is easier on the eyes and more faithful to an original GB look. I'd say go without black.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #72
Actually I had to take a double-look at GB graphics and I think a shade of black between the two would work perfectly. It's not going to be pitch black, but not too washed out either.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #73

Actually I had to take a double-look at GB graphics and I think a shade of black between the two would work perfectly. It's not going to be pitch black, but not too washed out either.

Oh, that could really work. Best of both worlds. :)

Reply #74

I think a shade of black between the two would work perfectly.
It's not going to be pitch black, but not too washed out either.

You mean add another color?
Or change the shade of brown to a darker color, to have more contrast?

Problem being I can't add another color, because of Gameboy's color restrictions (4 colors).
Alpha counts as a color, taking up the last space.