Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61304 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #360
I was thinking about using the 'chalice' for my 2 part Triforce Island dungeon due to it's symmetry. It would be the same number of rooms for both halves. The map could be split down the middle. Showing at first, the map for whichever half the player is in. Then when the player has both halves of the map, the full dungeon map would be shown.
  • Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:31:46 pm by Miscreant
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #361
Sometimes trying to create tiles can be frustrating... especially when it is a design that spans multiple tiles and you can't seem to get the alignment correct.

The roof of the outpost is currently just too bland, trying to create a shingled or thatched roof design.

Edit: Maybe... (added 2nd screencap)

Re-Edit: I don't know... The double lines where the 'shingles' don't line up. I circled them. (added 3rd screencap)
  • Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:48:59 am by Miscreant

Reply #362
The basic layout for the 1st half of the Triforce Island level is created. Individual rooms need to designed, doors and items need to be added. I still need to create the sprites for the two halves of the Master Sword.

Been adding to UseCandle() little by little. No longer creates multiple flame sprites at the starting point for maps. It does create the flame in the direction the player is facing and travels upto 2 tiles across the screen. Currently multiple uses per map, need to implement the Blue Candle functionality of once per map. Also need to create the functionality of actually checking if a bush is flammable and replacing it with a staircase.

Reply #363
Code: [Select]
var name = candle_flame;

var tile;
var tw = GetTileWidth();
var th = GetTileHeight();
var tn = GetTileName(tile);

var px = GetPersonX(name);
var py = GetPersonY(name);
var pl = GetPersonLayer(name);
var dir = GetPersonDirection(MainChar);

var x;
var y;
var l;

switch (dir) {

case "north":

x = px;
 y = py - 2;
 l = pl;
 tile = GetTile(x, y, l);

if (tn = "burnable_bush") //tile name to be changed later
   {
    if (py == y)
     {
     }
    }
   break;

I am not currently in front of a computer to test this on... Writing the code on my mobile phone. Looking at how this code is written so far, I'm wondering if it will produce an error on var tn due to the fact that var tile technically isn't being define until the switch (dir)?
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:14:00 pm by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #364
Yes, that will produce an error.  You are effectively doing:

Code: (javascript) [Select]
var tn = GetTileName(undefined);
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #365
Yes, that will produce an error.  You are effectively doing:

Code: (javascript) [Select]
var tn = GetTileName(undefined);

That's what I thinking. I was trying to design it general purpose without the need to repeatedly redefine variables but I guess I'm going to have to define it for each switch (dir).
  • Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:31:33 pm by Miscreant

Reply #366
tired, but too stressed to sleep... Coding more ZeC.

Reply #367
The Triforce Island level was too big for MapRef(), needed to redesign it a little to get the dungeon map to display properly.

Also, trying to get the UseCandle() to determine if a bush is burnable or not. The function is not processing correctly. I'm starting to think that I may have to redesign it totally.
  • Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:54:56 pm by Miscreant

Reply #368
Both halves of the Triforce Island dungeon are functional. Including the MapRef(). The map functionality displays whatever half the player is currently in and when the player has both map halves the full dungeon map is displayed. Also added functionality, so that the player has to have at least 5 Triforce pieces to enter the first half of the level and all 8 pieces to enter the second half.

Still need to re-edit the displaying of the Triforce on the map in MapRef(). It is processing incorrectly. As that part of the function is right now, the Triforce will blit in the proper location on the initial MapRef(). When the player accesses the inventory screen, the Triforce location is some how getting redefined to a location of (0, 0). Trying to go through the code to determine why that is occurring considering the (x, y) coordinates are stored as part of the Map&Compass object.

Reply #369
I haven't even finished Project: ZeC but my mind is already generating ideas for ZeC II.

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #370
Code: [Select]
var name = candle_flame;

var tile;
var tw = GetTileWidth();
var th = GetTileHeight();
var tn = GetTileName(tile);

var px = GetPersonX(name);
var py = GetPersonY(name);
var pl = GetPersonLayer(name);
var dir = GetPersonDirection(MainChar);

var x;
var y;
var l;

switch (dir) {

case "north":

x = px;
 y = py - 2;
 l = pl;
 tile = GetTile(x, y, l);

if (tn = "burnable_bush") //tile name to be changed later
   {
    if (py == y)
    {
     }
    }
   break;

I am not currently in front of a computer to test this on... Writing the code on my mobile phone. Looking at how this code is written so far, I'm wondering if it will produce an error on var tn due to the fact that var tile technically isn't being define until the switch (dir)?
I'm not even sure what you're trying to do in this example, I'm sure there's a way to do it that's more concise and won't make an error though.

Reply #371
I'm not even sure what you're trying to do in this example, I'm sure there's a way to do it that's more concise and won't make an error though.

I was originally trying to come up with a tile checking system for the candle function.

Use the candle, creates a flame, flame slides 2 tiles in direction player is facing.
Is the candle flame on a rock tile, ground tile, bush tile, etc...?
ok, it's a Bush tile, is the bush burnable? Does it access a staircase to a shop or some other cave?

I wrote some code for north only (if it doesn't function for 1 direction it won't function for all directions, I generally start code testing with north) implemented it into the UseCandle() and got all types of errors. Rewrote the code a few times, still got errors. Scrapped that piece of code an started to rethink the whole process of tile checking I was designing. I currently have notes written for the function in inEdit.js. 
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:14:42 pm by Miscreant

Reply #372
Having a real problem with computer mice.... This is now the 2nd time I am without a mouse. Makes it very difficult to do map creation.

Reply #373
I got another mouse but it is not functioning correctly...

Reply #374
I was curious how ZeC would look with Zelda II graphics...

Too bland in Zelda II style
  • Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:32:06 pm by Miscreant