Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 60665 times) previous topic - next topic

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #30
The maximum number of each an RMP map file can store is 65,535 as the count is stored as a 16-bit integer.  Note that triggers count against the person limit.

In practice I don't think you're ever going to hit that--your game would die of lag first. :P
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #31
Good to know. The thought I have in mind for a map should function.
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

Reply #32
Updates:

The Overworld map is almost completed. Every time I look at it I find something else that needs to be touched up a little.

The Underworld map is near completion. There are only a few map segments left to create.

Created several new room images for ProtoLeveling.

ProtoLeveled:
Death Mountain
Kain's Tomb
Setzer's Tomb
Master Sword Hilt Dungeon
Master Sword Blade Dungeon
Dungeon Levels 1, 2 & 3

Created the actual maps for Level 1, Kain's Tomb & Setzer's Tomb.

Figured out how to not recreate a couple of issues I discovered in the Original Legend of Zelda dungeons.

Created spritesets for the Moblins, Octoroks, Tektites, Bats, Peahats & Leevers.

Removed the redundancies in the whirlpool function without breaking its functionality.

Fixed an issue with the Whistle Function where if used on certain maps the game would crash.

Updated the inventory screen to include the number of coins, keys & bombs the player has.

inEdit:
A generic shop function along the lines of CreateShop(item1, item2, item3).

Turning ProtoLevel 2 into maps.
  • Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:53:06 pm by Miscreant

Reply #33
First Glimpse of the Hyrulian Underworld (Not yet complete) map.

Reply #34
In trying to get the sprites of Zelda & Final Fantasy 2 to mesh together, I'm encountering an issue with my Kain spriteset.

In the following screencaps you can see Kain in his original and rescaled forms. While the Zelda sprites are scaled up, I scaled down the Kain sprite to match. However, in the process of scaling Kain down his Sprite Base remains the same.

I've been going through the api.txt & Legacy API's in the Wiki to see if there is a way to reset his base dimensions through coding. Is that a possability? or is that a function of the spritesets that just doesn't exist?
  • Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:05:34 am by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #35
Sphere 1.x has a bug where SetPersonScale*() doesn't scale the sprite base (I fixed this in miniSphere).  I don't believe there's a way to set that in code, unfortunately.  Better would probably just be to scale the spriteset down manually.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #36
Manually edited from 48w x 32h to 24w x 16h. Now the base is correct and the player can interact with Kain and not the empty space around Kain.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #37
The underworld looks dark and cool, I like it. I like the whole concept of having two worlds like that. How's it going to work? Can you warp from one to the other using portals, or something like a magic mirror like in LTTP, or through some specific entranceways like in Oracle of Ages/Seasons?

Reply #38
The underworld looks dark and cool, I like it. I like the whole concept of having two worlds like that. How's it going to work? Can you warp from one to the other using portals, or something like a magic mirror like in LTTP, or through some specific entranceways like in Oracle of Ages/Seasons?

The Overworld and Underworld are laid out on the same grid system. Letters across the top, numbers going down the sides (A-P, 1-7). The upper left corner would thus be A1 and so forth. If you compare the two maps you can see where certain spots match up, such as in grid A7 (the bottom left corner). Another Example is J4 -> K4 in the Overworld. There are platforms in the water that lead to a cavern in the mountain range that seperates Western & Eastern Hyrule. When the player retreives the ladder from one of the later dungeons, he/she can walk across the platforms and enter the cave. Once underground there are a series of tunnels (that will have underworld specific enemies (bats, dark octoroks, etc...)) that will bring the player to Eastern Hyrule.

There are a few locations that do have warp tiles, both in the Over & Underworld, that you will be able to teleport between.

In the "BetaInvV3" screencap I posted, you may have noticed a pair of Winged Boots. I refer to them as the "Hermes Boots." Specifically added for the Underworld lake. Once activated, the player has the ability to hover above the ground and manuever to locations previously inaccessible.

Edit: The empty caverns that have no exits are actually the locations of shops and other things from the Overworld. The letter for the Water of Life, 2 of the 5 different swords, The "It's a secret to everybody" heres some rupees guys, amongst others.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:43:03 am by Miscreant

Reply #39
When Zelda meets Final Fantasy II:

Here's a little vid of Link and Kain interacting...

Reply #40
Update:  CreateShop(item1, item2, item3)

Is now GenerateShop(npc, item1, item2, item3).

The function is intended to be used for any cave involving an npc, such as a heart container, or water of life or a shop. Item2 & item3 are conditional.

The function currently creates the npc and items. Places them in their proper locations based upon the number of items selected. Changes the variable as to whether or not the play has the item. Currently implimenting the functionality of setting the items activation scripts and deduction the cost of the item.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:40:50 pm by Miscreant

Reply #41
@Fat Cerberus Question for you: My GenerateShop function is progressing. I've hit a small snag with it and was wondering if you had a suggestion. I'm trying to display the shopkeeper's message (ex. Buy something will ya?) on the screen persistantly. So far I have only been able to do it with the use of a FlipScreen(), GetKey(). Is there a way to draw the text constantly without having to wait for the player to press a key?
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:37:16 pm by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #42
After FlipScreen() is called, whatever was drawn to the backbuffer is cleared.  That happens intrinsically as part of the map engine event loop.  In order to keep the text on-screen you need to redraw it every frame.  Look into SetRenderScript().
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #43
The SetRenderScript got the text for the ShopKeeper and the Item Prices to stay on the screen. However. as you can see in the attached image, the player can walk under the text. Might there be a way to draw the text under the player?

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #44
Drawing the text under the player is trickier:

- you could do it with a layer render script if you have the player walking on a higher layer than the ground (layer render scripts are like normal render scripts but attached to specific layers of the map)

- you could re-draw the player in the render script (currently the map + entities are drawn then the render script is called) so when you have a render script running you could have it draw the player as well so he's on top. (basically whatever is drawn last appears on top)