Skip to main content

News

Topic: Rabbit Adventures (Read 22618 times) previous topic - next topic

Rabbit Adventures
This is a simple game I made in the last few days. I only built it to test sphere functions and stuff, not a big project or anything.

You can use the arrow keys to move the rabbit around, the R key to restart a stage and space to talk/examine.

www.hudell.com/downloads/rabbit.spk
Check out my game :) www.fantasyfarming.com

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Rabbit Adventures
Reply #1
I played the game and I must say it does not compare to Skyrim.... Kidding! :P

It's a great tech demo and I have not much else to say than to keep up the good work and try to implement more features. Try doing more menu related things like inventory or loading and saving. That's always a tricky area to get right.

That said the platforming, another tricky thing to pull off on Sphere is not that bad. I think the falling is a tad too fast, but otherwise there definitely is potential there. I even loved the fact you were able to run a collision with the radioactive bunny. Your next step there is to damage the player or instead have the player collect coins or something of the sort. In any case it's feeling good, which is a good thing to have.

Also, nice Guardians Groot cameo. :)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2

That said the platforming, another tricky thing to pull off on Sphere is not that bad. I think the falling is a tad too fast, but otherwise there definitely is potential there. I even loved the fact you were able to run a collision with the radioactive bunny. Your next step there is to damage the player or instead have the player collect coins or something of the sort. In any case it's feeling good, which is a good thing to have.

Yep, right now I'm working on the coins and making the collision with the bunny a little better.
I will work on the menus and sound later.

Thanks for playing it.

edit: Updated collision and added collectable carrots.
edit2: Added simple score system
  • Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:54:56 pm by Hudell

Reply #3
Updated the game with menus, sound, life, collectibles, a simple score system, a few more stages and a good improvement on the collision system.

I will probably have the game completed by the end of the week, then I will post the source code here too.

http://hudell.com/downloads/rabbit.spk

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #4
I have to say I rather enjoyed the platforming, it feels much better now. I especially like the enemies they seem to work very well, jumping around and being a general nuisance.

I made a platformer called Adventureland, and you make me want to continue work on it. I was able to get slopes working, so that's something interesting you can try next. A timer would be nice too! And I didn't hear any music or sound effects, there are some free online resources that you can use.

It's coming along very nice. Do you have graphics for the game? I might be able to draw you some stuff but I don't know if those levels are your final designs or not, or if you are scoping for other tiles. Other than that you are doing very well and showing quick mastery over Sphere's Map Engine which is not the easiest beast to learn - especially for platforming games!
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #5

I made a platformer called Adventureland, and you make me want to continue work on it. I was able to get slopes working, so that's something interesting you can try next. A timer would be nice too! And I didn't hear any music or sound effects, there are some free online resources that you can use.

It's coming along very nice. Do you have graphics for the game? I might be able to draw you some stuff but I don't know if those levels are your final designs or not, or if you are scoping for other tiles. Other than that you are doing very well and showing quick mastery over Sphere's Map Engine which is not the easiest beast to learn - especially for platforming games!

Strange, the music and sound effects are working fine here.
I'm using rpg maker assets, I bought a package of resources a while ago and I have plenty of stuff to use.

I'm actually findind sphere to be really easy, compared to some frameworks I've used in the past. My only problem with it right now is that it only runs on windows.
Is there a working version of any sphere variation for mac?

Reply #6
Long story short, Sphere on OS X is not a ridiculous idea, but right now it doesn't work on modern Macs.

Rahkiin and I have both made attempts to get Sphere working on Mac (again, already it did long ago). It's fairly close, but the biggest issue is that only Rhuan really understood the Mac code. Rahkiin is/was trying to modernize that part of Sphere. I was just trying to find a combination of the Mac code and the Unix/Linux code that would work on OS X.

Sphere is known to work well on older OS X, though. Somewhere abouts Tiger, and I've personally confirmed it works on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

Sphere does work quite well on Linux, though (but no sound on modern Linux). I expect it would work pretty easily on all manner of proper Unix, as well.

Reply #7

Long story short, Sphere on OS X is not a ridiculous idea, but right now it doesn't work on modern Macs.

Rahkiin and I have both made attempts to get Sphere working on Mac (again, already it did long ago). It's fairly close, but the biggest issue is that only Rhuan really understood the Mac code. Rahkiin is/was trying to modernize that part of Sphere. I was just trying to find a combination of the Mac code and the Unix/Linux code that would work on OS X.

Sphere is known to work well on older OS X, though. Somewhere abouts Tiger, and I've personally confirmed it works on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

Sphere does work quite well on Linux, though (but no sound on modern Linux). I expect it would work pretty easily on all manner of proper Unix, as well.

That's good to hear. If I can help with anything, I'll be happy to.

And what do I need to do to run the engine on linux?

Reply #8
Chances are, there will be a few minor issues that will crop up, but the general it should work as documented on the Sphere 1.6/1.6 engine thread. You will need the Sphere, Corona, and Audiere sources from my github repos, and libjs 1.7 (I said 1.5 in the thread, either will work, 1.7 is better).

Reply #9

Chances are, there will be a few minor issues that will crop up, but the general it should work as documented on the Sphere 1.6/1.6 engine thread. You will need the Sphere, Corona, and Audiere sources from my github repos, and libjs 1.7 (I said 1.5 in the thread, either will work, 1.7 is better).

Thanks, I will try it tonight.

One more thing: I have a friend that got interested in sphere after seeing my game, but he wants to publish his games on steam.
Searching for Steam in the forums, I found this message:

I intentionally do NOT use any code directly from Sphere, but that's because I want TurboSphere to be BSD/Zlib licensed. The exact reasoning is so that you could integrate the steam API library into a plugin, and sell such games on steam. The idea being that Valve might be more discerning than I am about the license of Sphere, especially since I plaster the name `Sphere RPG Engine' over all of the TS documentation and provide links about it.

Of course, since I do not take any code from it at all, TurboSphere tends to support less than Radnen's projects do, like only reading the newest versions of the Sphere resources. My tools also tend to make ever so slightly malformed or strangely formatted resources--my SPK editor makes hard to decode SPKs, with the file map at the end instead of the start, for instance, and my ttf-to-rfn converter makes rfn files that contain tons of extra blank characters.

So I guess that's what happens when you don't borrow code =P

And by that I assume that it's not possible to publish sphere games on Steam, right?
How is the work on TurboSphere going?

Reply #10
I'm not 100% sure about how the Steam process works. I am under the impression that you need to do...something with their SDK, and that it is difficult to do or can't be done with GPL'd engines.

TurboSphere is coming along! It now works quite nicely on OS X, even has native retina support. It has a new graphics API, but I'm adding wrappers to make the old API (mostly) work. Still lots of API not done yet, though  :D

Reply #11

I'm not 100% sure about how the Steam process works. I am under the impression that you need to do...something with their SDK, and that it is difficult to do or can't be done with GPL'd engines.

TurboSphere is coming along! It now works quite nicely on OS X, even has native retina support. It has a new graphics API, but I'm adding wrappers to make the old API (mostly) work. Still lots of API not done yet, though  :D

Do you have any simple game running on it?
I tried to make Rabbit Adventures run on TurboSphere and got this error on function ChangeMap:

Warning: Tileset has irregular BPP of 0. Crashes will almost certainly follow.

Reply #12
Wow, that must be a pretty ancient version of TurboSphere!

TurboSphere lost its map engine a while ago. It'll have on again, at some point in the future.

Additionally, it hasn't had a Windows release in a very long time.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #13
Sphere shouldn't be under GPL anymore we gotta get that changed. I'm sure AegisKnight (the creator of Sphere) wouldn't mind if it was changed to something like Free BSD or MIT. The old codebase is so ancient that nobody would necessarily care if portions of its code were 'stolen'. Plus it'll clear up any legal issues with using the filetypes of Sphere in more modern implementations and licensing issues with commercialization and steam.

The sounds and music don't tend to play when you package the game as a .spk. I don't know why exactly, but in any case when you make an official release it's good to replace the files in the startup folder and repackage just the engine.exe as a standalone product. Even under GPL you can do this.

Also, I think steam is possible. I think there are quite a few RPGMaker games, such as To the Moon, and it is a closed source engine made in the early 00's so I think steam can support games like that.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #14

Wow, that must be a pretty ancient version of TurboSphere!

TurboSphere lost its map engine a while ago. It'll have on again, at some point in the future.

Additionally, it hasn't had a Windows release in a very long time.

Oh. That was it then.
I've now been trying to build TurboSphere on linux but V8 is giving me a hard time.

Sphere shouldn't be under GPL anymore we gotta get that changed. I'm sure AegisKnight (the creator of Sphere) wouldn't mind if it was changed to something like Free BSD or MIT. The old codebase is so ancient that nobody would necessarily care if portions of its code were 'stolen'. Plus it'll clear up any legal issues with using the filetypes of Sphere in more modern implementations and licensing issues with commercialization and steam.

Also, I think steam is possible. I think there are quite a few RPGMaker games, such as To the Moon, and it is a closed source engine made in the early 00's so I think steam can support games like that.

That's good to hear.
I honestly don't know much about licenses, so I don't know what I can and what I cannot do with it.
Can someone talk to AegisKnight? From what I remember he was hardly around 7 years ago.

I also ran the game using Sphere-sfml earlier today, it managed to open the game package and run the game without crashing, with just a few things not working properly.