Skip to main content

News

Topic: Pixel size consistency in video games (Read 9136 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Project ZeC (My Zelda...

Re: Pixel size consistency in video games
Reply #15
Scaled back to the original 16x16 tiles...

Still need to make adjustments to image locations, add the life meter, triforce segments area, and an area for the number of keys, bombs & coinage (rupees).
  • Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:05:08 am by Miscreant
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #16
On a more personal note: In the process of doing these scaling tests, having to bring all of the spritesets back to the ones from the original LoZ, the project is feeling less and less original. Sure, the map is different but I'm starting to feel as if the other elements that I've had planned out won't mesh well together because Zelda is 16x16, Final Fantasy is 32x32 or 32x48 (depending on the sptite used) and those are just two among some other inconsistences that are developing.

Just like in writing, there is always a rough draft that comes first. Then it goes through several revisions before it might even be close to feeling as if it is complete. It would be unfair to judge based upon a first draft. Would we have ever had Star Wars if someone looked at the rough draft and said "George, this is crap?"

Now, please don't get me wrong. No one here has said that about ZeC. Everyone has actually been very encouraging. I understand that I'm still learning about the pixel consistencies and the such. After all, this is first attempt with a development engine that uses tiles and sprites. I, also, understand that this topic is a learning tool and that is after all why I joined the forum, to learn more about Sphere and all it can do.
Oh, I understand. I wasn't sure what your plan was originally either - to use and keep the Zelda tileset or maybe you were going to replace it with your own eventually. I just noticed that in general, sizes of things didn't quite match up so I figured it'd be a good idea to mention things about this right away. I do think that your game is going in a good direction though. :)

Reply #17
Update: Inventory

Still trying to postion the Triforce...
  • Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:13:10 pm by Miscreant

Reply #18
Update: Triforce Positioned, Map References in the lower left. Just need to add the number of keys, coins & bombs...

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
On a more personal note: In the process of doing these scaling tests, having to bring all of the spritesets back to the ones from the original LoZ, the project is feeling less and less original. Sure, the map is different but I'm starting to feel as if the other elements that I've had planned out won't mesh well together because Zelda is 16x16, Final Fantasy is 32x32 or 32x48 (depending on the sptite used) and those are just two among some other inconsistences that are developing.
There could be a different way to deal with the inconsistencies rather than ditching the sprites you had.

One possible answer would be to use SNES Zelda graphics rather than NES have you thought of that?

(Though considering how much mapping you've done this may be a bit late - it may be possible to use a script or some other quick method to swap the tiles you've used for different tiles whilst keeping the same layout if you can find tiles to swap on a 1 for 1 basis for each existing tile.)

Another idea would be to scale the maps and apply a filter to them something like super eagle or super 2xsai etc these filters scale and smooth graphics so they don't look so obviously scaled

Reply #20

One possible answer would be to use SNES Zelda graphics rather than NES have you thought of that?

Interesting fact is that there are some LoZ:LTTP sprites already mixed in to the maps in various locations. Doors, Door frames, A partial Master Sword pedestal, Hyrule Palace... and others.

Quote from: Rhuan
Though considering how much mapping you've done this may be a bit late

I spent a good amount of time recreating my tileset with the original 16x16. Took a lot of editing. Over 2000 tiles and a lot of that were custom edits. I'm still in the process of re-adding all the obstructions to them. There are some spots that I've missed making it possible for the player to walk on water. Last I knew, walk on water spells don't exist in Hyrule.

Quote from: Rhuan
Another idea would be to scale the maps and apply a filter to them something like super eagle or super 2xsai etc these filters scale and smooth graphics so they don't look so obviously scaled

The few new screencaps I've posted are of the maps scaled to 2x. Super Eagle or 2xsai? I'll have to research those filters...

• Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:00:40 pm by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #21
A scaling filter could be good. A lot of emulators use them for nice upscaling. Something more modern like EPX/Scale2×/AdvMAME2× might be good here.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #22
Update: Triforce Positioned, Map References in the lower left. Just need to add the number of keys, coins & bombs...
Cool! I should mention that this is a forked discussion about pixel sizes specifically though - the thread for your game project still exists so it's probably better to post progress updates and stuff there. ;)

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
A scaling filter could be good. A lot of emulators use them for nice upscaling. Something more modern like EPX/Scale2×/AdvMAME2× might be good here.
Hmm... New planned feature for MEngine and SEngine :)