Skip to main content

News

Topic: Entropy and Schroden (Read 3689 times) previous topic - next topic

Entropy and Schroden
TOJam 9 has just finished, so I'm posting my game from that jam here.  First though, I haven't posted anything on Spherical from the previous one.

Entropy

Game page

Entropy is a puzzle game where the player has to get past a computer overlord that is able to detect the entropy of the player's actions relative to the non-playable characters in the game.  This computer overlord has trapped the world inside an Atari 2600 simulation, and you must get to the blue colored column of pixels that are supposed to represent a river in order to complete a desperate plan to save the world.

Every time the player completes a level, the computer overlord will try to find a highly entropic property of the player's movement (for example: x-position, speed, etc.), and from then on, it will start measuring this property of the dots in the system.  If the player's values becomes too different from that of the other dots in the system, then the computer will discover this and the player will lose.  If on the other hand, the computer is unable to find something entropic in the players actions, then it will increase its accuracy in measuring the said properties, making it harder for the player to reach the end goal.

Made at TOJam 8.

Schroden

Game page

Schroden is a minimalistic puzzle platformer, where the main character, Schroden, is both alive and dead.  You control both the alive Schroden, as well as his ghost, and when the alive Schroden dies, he becomes a ghost and his ghost comes back to life. 

It's a short game, with 6 screens, but the last one is quite a difficult one to figure out.  Made at TOJam 9.

A final note about Schroden, it was designed at 320x180, and uses 4x scaling to bring it up to 1280x720, but since it uses the map engine, it needed to use 2x layer sizes for the drawn layers, but when it's drawn out, there's overlap in the coordinates of the tiles (likely inconsistent rounding errors).  This is why the shadows (in particular), form 1 pixel wide double opaque boxes inside them.

Re: Entropy and Schroden
Reply #1
I liked entropy a lot, but I did find that it got really hard after a few levels. It is a really nice example of 'easy to learn, hard to master'!