Skip to main content

News

Recent Posts

An update before I go to bed tonight
Official version is 0.4.3!

RGB lighting and pointClouds are implemented, next week I hope to have the time an motivation to work on implementing multiple light sources as well as rewrite modelObject to support pointCloud injection and to rewrite how voxelWorlds are rendered. Here are some screenshots. As usual they're hosted from my personal server.

I've noted that lighting doesn't behave entirely correctly so I hope to fix that as well

So, here's an Update after over a year of dead silence. This post isn't going to be focused so much on the game itself but rather the biggest system that I'll be using in this game, it's name is Candle.

Status of the game so far

Candle has made a LOT of progress in terms of functionality since I originally started this thread, It's gone from being a simple vector-based rendering system that could barely render a cube to being able to render 10's of hundreds of TEXTURED polygons at a time. That said, it is still mostly a WIP system that still lacks a lot of features I want (This includes a particle system but that's a pipe dream for now) I think I'm beginning to reach a point where it may be worth writing some documentation for anyone wanting to use it.

As I type this, the current version of Candle is 0.4.1

Here are the systems implemented so far:
  • Out-of-bounds (OOB) culling
  • Backface culling
  • Rabbit-hole based 3d-point aggregation (I think that's the right word)
  • Simple lighting (A single lightsource, rightly named 'sun')
  • Voxel world-type (Basically a scene that only supports voxel geometry)

and this is the current to-do list, priority items for version 0.5 are marked with a #
  • Implementation of a more traditional world-type (aka a scene)
    • This is needed for graphical effects I want to implement, such as particle systems
  • # Distance-sorting for polygons
    • Needed to properly render polygons in the correct order
  • #Rework the system for point aggregation into a separate system, formally known as a pointcloud
    • This is needed to improve the efficiency of voxel rendering, currently points are being calculated many times over when they could just be calculated in one go.
  • #Implement support for multiple light sources of different colors
    • Pretty lights are a must
  • Implement a vector motion system
    • The idea is that by defining a motion vector a model or it's one of it's vertices can be made to move, this is also useful for implementing particle and tesselation systems
Game Development / Re: The Screenshot Thread
Last post by SilicateWielder -
So I picked up my graphics engine again

I've been posting too many screenshots in the discord (Sorry for the spam!), and thought I should share an update regarding the latest version here

Because it's most relevant to what I plan to use this for, I've written a voxel world-type, these can be created dynamically and can also be loaded in parallel provided you have a system in place for selecting which world you want to display. They are inefficient at the moment though due to the inability for models to share a single pointcloud, I plan to fix this for version 0.5

I'm aiming to push a commit to github tomorrow if not tonight, and likely wont be updating this again for about a week or two since that seems to be the frequency at which I get time to work on this

Anyway, screenshot time, because of the forum's image size limit the images are hosted from my personal server.
The terrain is randomly generated using a fractal-based terrain generator that I wrote

This last one uses a lower FOV, the top ones use an FOV that's been cranked way up to create an isometric rendering effect

This is from an experimental version that produced a result I thought was cool.

Hellos and Byes / Re: Happy 2019!
Last post by Fat Cerberus -
Funny enough, when I wrote that "new years pig" comment I didn't actually realize that 2019 is the Year of the Pig according to the Chinese zodiac.  Yay hilarious coincidences!
Sphere General / Re: What is SFXR?
I didn't write that mp3 decoder, that was from this project:
https://github.com/audiocogs/mp3.js

SoundStream itself is really simple to use, you just specify your sample rate and feed it raw PCM audio.  Here's the API:
https://github.com/fatcerberus/minisphere/blob/master/docs/sphere2-core-api.txt#L2012-L2062
Sphere General / Re: What is SFXR?
Last post by FBnil -
Wow, I have not looked into SoundStream, but that sounds rad!
whoa, a whole re-implementation like that! Lot's of code, man!
https://github.com/fatcerberus/sphere-mp3/blob/master/lib/mp3.js
Libraries / Re: box2d-sphere
Last post by Eggbertx -
I could be working on more "important" projects, but priorities are lame, and I have at least made some progress on this. Eventually when it's in a more usable state, I'm going to make a sort of catapult volleyball game.
Last post by DaVince -
Oof, I'm late! Happy new year, everyone. :D
Happy New Year!  Hopefully nobody gets eaten by the new years pig (it's like the baby new year but eatier). :tada: :confetti_ball: :pig_nose:
Last post by Radnen -
Hi FBNil! Long time no see! I hope you have a fantabulous 2019 too! :)