News

Topic: Forum updates thread (Read 18671 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Forums moved to new forum system
Reply #15
As modern as this style of forum gets, I suppose. :P The gradient styles are actually pretty old compared to modern flat looks.

By the way, here are some nice things the new forums can do:
  • Quick edits
  • Liking posts
  • @username mentions
  • Better top navigation, with options to quickly see new replies, new posts and mentions.

Another tip: in the look and layout preferences you can set it so that the quick reply box shows up as a full reply box rather than the simple no-button text area it is now. :)
  • Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:42:18 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #16
As modern as this style of forum gets, I suppose. :P The gradient styles are actually pretty old compared to modern flat looks.

I like the gradients, it makes things "pop".  Reminds me of the UI for MS Office 2010, which I really liked.  Everyone's UI now is getting that new flat, monochromic gray-and-white look and I don't really like it much, makes things flow together too much.  Too much 3D (like the Win9x interface) is bad too, but some sense of depth is appreciated.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #17
I agree. Now that I think about it, flat design is kinda old too and you'll see a lot of paper and material design. And material design is known for adding a little 3D back into the flat philosophy. Check that link, for example (and the whole website behind it).

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #18
So I looked into the mobile issues you're having, @Fat Cerberus, but frankly it seems to be working all fine here. The reply box resizes properly here and I haven't had to press any links or buttons twice yet. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised with the mobile experience.

This is gonna make things difficult to troubleshoot.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #19
I definitely have to press the "More" below a post twice to get the menu open, and that seems to extend to any button with a drop down.  First tap makes the button sink in, second one opens the menu.

As for the too-large controls, it happens on the post page.  It opens up sized perfectly, but tap the text area to type and iOS zooms in without resizing the text area.  See screenshots attached.

Text selection for copy/paste is an awful experience on iOS with a zoomed-in textbox because it gets glitchy: selecting too much text, selecting something else entirely, losing the selection, etc.  It's been broken since at least iOS 8 and hasn't gotten any better in all that time.  Leave it to Apple to keep adding gimmicks without fixing the existing bugs...

iOS 10.3.3 (Safari), if it helps at all.
forum thread | on GitHub

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #20
Attached second image because it was too large for last post.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #21
Thanks for the info. I'll try a few things tomorrow but no guarantees I'll get it to work.

As for things like the more button, it might be because double behavior is set for those: on the desktop they open on mouse over, so maybe it triggers that action first for some sort of compatibility. I can set the behavior to "open menu on click" too though, let's see if that helps. I'll let you know when you can try.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #22
Okay, this is apparently a per-user setting. Press the profile icon at the top and pick Look and Layout. There should be an option "Use click to open menus, instead of hover to open.", toggling that might help things hopefully.

Otherwise I hope this would just be a theme specific thing, because switching themes would make it easy to fix then.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #23
I actually already had that option turned on somehow.  Turning it on or off doesn't seem to affect anything.  Weird.  It's not a deal breaker or anything, just kind of annoying.  At some point muscle memory will take over and I won't even notice it :P
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #24
The emoji plugin has been readded, this time with bug fixes. :pig_nose:

Just type : and then start typing whatever you want to appear. It uses the Twitter emojis. :smiley:

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #25
Yay pig!! :pig_nose: *MUNCH*
Cows eat kitties! :cat2: :cat2: :cat2: :cow2: *MUNCH*
(also it's a time-traveling cow)

:P

I love that it shows a dropdown after typing a : and a few characters.  This'll make it way easier to find appropriate smilies.
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #26
I'm currently creating a new theme for the forums. The layout is based on the current theme, the visuals are based on what the main website looks like.

Progress is very slow because of real life + modifying the theme is proving a challenge, but I figured I'd just leave an update that something is happening in that regard.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Forum updates thread
Reply #27
I installed an addon that allows the use of the [ gist ] tag, and even adds a nice little button in the editor interface. Note that this gist tag is a little different from the previous gist addon on SMF: instead of just the gist code (ex. 6386456), the full url needs to be put within the BB code (ex. https://gist.github.com/Radnen/6386456 ).

Example:

Note that I still have to add code to limit the height of the element.
  • Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:46:37 pm by DaVince

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #28
We now have support for the [ html5video ] and [ html5audio ] tag, useful for directly embedding sound and video files.

One downside: if you attach a WebM or sound file to a post and try to link to that, that won't work. So it's good for external sources only. Kind of a bummer.
  • Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:46:01 pm by DaVince

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #29
I don't think this was supposed to happen @DaVince...

iPhone 7 Plus :iphone:
forum thread | on GitHub