News

Topic: Ludum Dare (Read 23360 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Ludum Dare
Reply #30
Wow, time flies! I was planning to make a thread, but the compo is in full progress already? Too late for me and I have no time for it this time! Wish it was next week. :(

Good luck with the jam, though! I'll definitely vote for your entry. And I think making a new thread is fine, but at the same time, keeping it all in here makes sure all the old ones are easily accessible! So uh, you decide!

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #31
Just played Flippin' Matrix. That's a really neat concept (switch realities every ten seconds) that could easily be drawn out into a complete game. I can see in my mind's eye all sorts of ways to expand the core gameplay element.

Can't wait for your zombie game, Rad.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #32
I won't split this thread since it seems I'm ythe only one in it this time, so I'll just hijack this to talk about my game.

Here is a screenshot of the progress thus far. My brother and I wanted to go for a LoZ styled theme, I think it's pretty good. The room is free for you to set up traps, and for you to fight the zombies. The idea is to survive.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #33

Just played Flippin' Matrix. That's a really neat concept (switch realities every ten seconds) that could easily be drawn out into a complete game. I can see in my mind's eye all sorts of ways to expand the core gameplay element.

Thanks. :) Not sure if I will ever turn it into something full-blown, though... (But feel free to take the idea if you want to!)

Edit: oh, new post as I posted this! Looks neat, very much like ALTTP! Do zombies just keep rushing at you, or is it more like Zelda in that regard that there's a fixed amount of enemies in the room?
  • Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:58:47 pm by DaVince

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #34

I won't split this thread since it seems I'm ythe only one in it this time, so I'll just hijack this to talk about my game.

Here is a screenshot of the progress thus far. My brother and I wanted to go for a LoZ styled theme, I think it's pretty good. The room is free for you to set up traps, and for you to fight the zombies. The idea is to survive.

How do you fight, melee or guns?

Thanks. :) Not sure if I will ever turn it into something full-blown, though... (But feel free to take the idea if you want to!)

Even more useful, I'm gonna look at the code to see a complete, if basic, platformer done in Sphere. It's easiest for me to learn from real code than from piecemeal examples.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #35
So, the game, you fight by laying down traps. There may be projectiles soon, but for now that's what's planned. The enemies are not a set amount, they keep going until you die. So you need to set up the traps in a good way, get a good routine going and just survive. The top scores are kept in a highscore table.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #36
Sounds fun. Not enough games have "Endless Mode" anymore.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #37

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #38
You have to log into LD to comment, but do you have to log in to vote? It seems like it but I can't tell; not a good organization of information on that site.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #39

So, the game, you fight by laying down traps. There may be projectiles soon, but for now that's what's planned. The enemies are not a set amount, they keep going until you die. So you need to set up the traps in a good way, get a good routine going and just survive. The top scores are kept in a highscore table.

So it's basically endless Tower Defense then, ala PvZ endless survival mode?
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #40

You have to log into LD to comment, but do you have to log in to vote? It seems like it but I can't tell; not a good organization of information on that site.

Yeah, you have to log in. It's worth doing so for all the fun games in there, though.

Also, when you participate, there's a system where your own entry's "coolness" (overall rating) goes up if you're nice and actually play and review other peoples' games.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #41

So it's basically endless Tower Defense then, ala PvZ endless survival mode?

Well, you run around and attack with a sword. You can lay traps and bombs. The idea is to survive for a day. It's not a tower defense.

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #42

Yeah, you have to log in. It's worth doing so for all the fun games in there, though.

Also, when you participate, there's a system where your own entry's "coolness" (overall rating) goes up if you're nice and actually play and review other peoples' games.

Can you sign up without actually submitting anything? I mean, I'd like to participate in te future, but I'm nowhere near ready. Still, I'd like to vote.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #43

Can you sign up without actually submitting anything? I mean, I'd like to participate in te future, but I'm nowhere near ready. Still, I'd like to vote.

Absolutely!!

We just finished out game, Cellar Rush: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=26346

It's been a blast. And it was a lot of fun. Very stressful near the end, though.

The biggest issue: fiddling with the execution time of Vanilla Sphere's crappy JS. I could not get any decent pathfinder to run well in real time, and with the lack of threading, it was impossible. Therefore, the enemy AI is very simple, sadly.

Sphere-sfml here

• Mooch
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #44
"This application has failed to launch because zlib1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."