News

Topic: Ludum Dare (Read 23202 times) previous topic - next topic

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Ludum Dare
Reply #15
My submission has been made. :) Gosh I ran into a lot of strange sphere issues. Jesus!

Tell me when you are submitted, also what will make this work in Linux/OSX?
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #16
I'm done:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=25741

Fun fact: I didn't run into any Sphere-related issues. No inexplicable bugs, just me goofing from time to time. Though tracking down my own bugs could take a while as some code really goes around. :P
Game should work in Linux, by the way... Well, Sphere 1.5 games do (made mine entirely in Xubuntu and the default editor, and I'll be checking how well your game works!)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #17
I updated my submission with bugfixes. I saw the 1 hour time to upload and thought: heck if I could fix an issue or two that'll be great. I don't think I broke a rule since these fixes are either cosmetic or small. I did fix an obstruction error that could happen that made the game somewhat unplayable (until you died). So that has been fixed.

Anyways I've put you guys on a blog post of mine. BTW DaVince, I loved your game. But I was right, you didn't have enough interesting stuff to make both modes enjoyable. It was kick-ass cyber-guy all the way... except for the start where the old man was indeed quite useful. ;)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #18
You're right about that. I wanted more old man gameplay, but alas, time constraints... The plan was to make his side really more puzzle-based and the other really more action-based. I also just think you have to wait for too long at times. :(

Just tried your entry. Holy crap is it hectic and difficult! Love all the little things the player character spouts, though from time to time it's unreadable.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #19

Just tried your entry. Holy crap is it hectic and difficult! Love all the little things the player character spouts, though from time to time it's unreadable.

:P It's hectic because I try to turn some RPG elements on their head by giving the player 10 seconds of hp. Seriously had thoughts of using you as the boss monster again. It's not too hard though, you just got to be calm and try to use your death as an advantage. The save-stones are like the checkpoint saves of RPG's that use such a system. I try to show you how they can be (ab)used to further your game.

I'm definitely going to try and continue this game some day. :)

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #20
I have uploaded all the submitted entries to the Downloads Drive.

Hey FJ, what happened? In the end, you never submitted your game... Didn't have any more time to work on it?
Will you be releasing your maze game at a later point? And if not, it would be interesting if you shared what you have...

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #21
@Radnen - those Sphere bugs you encountered are exactly the kind of bugs we should hammer out of the official Sphere 1.6 beta so that 1.6 can finally leave beta status. Stuff like SetPersonX/Y should really be doable in a talk script (assuming the person being set is neither the input person nor the person being talked to), but I'm not sure about ChangeMap.

Please write a small demo where either or both of these are happening so that we have it around for posterity, file an issue on the GitHub repo, and I'll see what I can do about restoring the Sourceforge bug tracker as well, thanks! Maybe one where the ON_CREATE thing is happening too.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #22
Ooh, development and fixing of the official engine? That'd be nice! :)
Let's not forget the issue that apparently exists where calling GetPersonList() each frame crashes the engine! I remember something like that happening some time ago.

By the way, Radnen, how far would you say Sphere-SFML is along? Is it possible yet to compile it as a HTML project and see if our games will work in the browser? That would be super neat, I think.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #23

By the way, Radnen, how far would you say Sphere-SFML is along? Is it possible yet to compile it as a HTML project and see if our games will work in the browser? That would be super neat, I think.

It's not too bad right now but it won't be compiled to html yet. I can try to do a quick JSIL translation of it and test the waters so to speak. :)

Actually, running my game in it is showing some errors, so I'll fix those soon. Sphere-SFML was kinda put on the back-burner as I was busy, but now I think I'll try to tinker with it a bit more.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #24

Hey FJ, what happened? In the end, you never submitted your game... Didn't have any more time to work on it?
Will you be releasing your maze game at a later point? And if not, it would be interesting if you shared what you have...

I had to move back for college just yesterday, and I needed to prepare over the weekend. I got about halfway through making the game (it is, in fact, playable, but extremely difficult to understand and has only a quarter of what should be there), and then I just couldn't take any more time away from real life.

I do plan on releasing it pretty soon. It's pretty close to being done, and the tiny bit that is playable I actually find surprisingly enjoyable.

@Radnen - those Sphere bugs you encountered are exactly the kind of bugs we should hammer out of the official Sphere 1.6 beta so that 1.6 can finally leave beta status. Stuff like SetPersonX/Y should really be doable in a talk script (assuming the person being set is neither the input person nor the person being talked to), but I'm not sure about ChangeMap.

And also make it not overwrite SGM files? If TurboSphere, Sphere-sfml, and Radnen's editor could put more information in the file and not have it wiped out by the official engine, it would be very convenient (at least I know it would for TurboSphere). It would mean that I could elegantly make TurboSphere switch to a compatibility mode for games that do not use the constructor-style engine object functions--among other things.

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #25
Re SGM files - I'm thinking source/common/configfile.[ hpp|cpp ] and I originally thought about the game_information object in CGameEngine::Run in source/engine/engine.[ hpp|cpp ] but that's loaded as a standard CConfigFile and I'm not seeing any save or flush call of any kind on it. CGameEngine::Run does only actually load four of the six basic SGM keys (screen_height, screen_width, name, script) but description and author remain unaffected on engine close. More research seems needed here, I guess.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #26

And also make it not overwrite SGM files? If TurboSphere, Sphere-sfml, and Radnen's editor could put more information in the file and not have it wiped out by the official engine, it would be very convenient (at least I know it would for TurboSphere). It would mean that I could elegantly make TurboSphere switch to a compatibility mode for games that do not use the constructor-style engine object functions--among other things.

What I want to know is why someone thought it was a good idea to have the engine rewrite the .sgm file like that in the first place.  There's literally no reason for the engine to even open it in writable mode let alone rewrite the entire file.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #27
Should I start a new topic or no? The next LD is live the theme: You Get Only One.

Whose in it? I'll be, if I figure out something.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #28
I'm out.

I'm just no good at quick compos. I need about a week to warm up and form my thoughts, and about two more weeks to flesh things out. It's not that I work slow...OK, yes it is.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #29
Well I hardly had time to prepare too! I've just decided this last minute. Got my brother involved as prat of a jam team. :)

Sphere-sfml here