Skip to main content

News

Topic: Licensing (Read 5431 times) previous topic - next topic

Licensing
Hey guys, it's been a while.

Forgive me for the ignorance, but I'm terrible at understanding licenses. I plan on, when I release Ilxder, having it so players can mod the game to a certain extent, but I want to make sure they don't try making some sort of conversion based upon my work that they could then try selling or something. I can't seem to find a license that covers this.

In essence, I want players to have the ability to mod my game like Bethesda permits modding of their RPGs: you can create whatever you want so long as you don't try passing it off as your own work (I don't want them claiming they're part of my team either), redistribute the game without permission, or try selling the game or your mods for my game. Does anyone have a suggestion on what license I could consider for my game? It still uses Sphere, and I know Sphere is open-source, so would I be wisest to use some sort of open-source license, or something different?

Thanks for any answers.

-Jacob

PS: For anyone interested, I took a quick screenshot of the Aildwerd Chapel in Halmuna, the game's tutorial area and the Ilxder's home island. Lore-wise, Halmuna is the last piece of the paradise that once was Steorth (the world the game takes place in).
"If you don't build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs."

Challenging Apathy | Follow me on Twitter!

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Licensing
Reply #1
Did you know that including the text you just wrote already constitutes as a license? So you could opt to write such an agreement yourself.

Anyway, if you want to go for an official license, it sounds like you more or less described Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives. (If it's not that, you can always pick what you want to (dis)allow.)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #2

Did you know that including the text you just wrote already constitutes as a license? So you could opt to write such an agreement yourself.

Anyway, if you want to go for an official license, it sounds like you more or less described Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives. (If it's not that, you can always pick what you want to (dis)allow.)

Wow that second resource is really good. I usually struggle with what works best and usually end up going too liberal with the license: basically don't blame me if it harms you in any way. :P
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #3
Well, I am a writer for the most part, but I'm afraid I'd leave a hole in the license or accidentally bind myself to some sort of legal liability lol

Anyways DaVince, thanks for the links, I'll take a look. :)
"If you don't build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs."

Challenging Apathy | Follow me on Twitter!