Skip to main content

News

Topic: Ludum Dare 31 (Read 4279 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Ludum Dare 31
It starts in a few hours and I intend to join it. Gonna mess with OpenFL rather than Sphere this time, though.

Anyone else in?

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Re: Ludum Dare 31
Reply #1
Entire game on one screen? Dude, that's not half bad.

I may do this in Sphere only because I don't want to learn something new while the compo is going on. And I can quickly create random crap quickly in Sphere since it's very sandbox-y in nature.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #2
Hmm. I really like this concept!

But my university's finals week is this coming week...

I have the worst luck with the timing of Ludum Dare compos!

• N E O
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Senior Administrator
Reply #3
You think your timing's bad? I'm the president of my college's ACM chapter, and my treasurer wants us to participate in the spring. I have no problem, but my concern is the general apathy at my school re CS.

For reference, there are ~200 CS majors in ~13000 undergrads, only ~20 participate in ACM, and of those 20 maybe 10 max show up regularly. There's not a lot of attention paid to CS at the very liberal arts CUNY Hunter College.

Reply #4
I have an idea how it feels...my university cut my program (CIOS, Computer Information and Office Systems), and I am one of only six remaining CIOS students.

You're department at least accounts for >1% of your university :)

Well, I think I am actually going to make a game for this, in Sphere. The idea I have is a randomly generated Rogue-like game, but portions of the map dynamically disappear and change after you leave them. It's still all on one screen, right? :P

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #5
My entry:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=26346

Have fun! It's a murder mystery game where you try to convict the culprit. Since the game takes place in one room... Well.. he;s there, somewhere! Try to find the right guy or lose.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #6
Well, I made it in time for the Jam at least  ;D
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=26115

Fair warning, I've never actually played a true Rogue-like game.

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Reply #7
I didn't make it at all, unfortunately. :( Didn't feel so good on the second day, I decided to sit it out. Good work on the entries!