Skip to main content

News

Topic: Sphere 1.5 vs miniSphere (Read 12795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sphere 1.5 vs miniSphere
Reply #15
@Fat Cerberus Is there a way to not center the map with miniSphere?

Also: I put a different graphic card in the machine and miniSphere is no longer slow and choppy. I did, however, lose my dual monitor ability (for the time being).
  • Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:35:47 pm by Miscreant
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #16
Oh good, you'll be able to use the debugger now. :)

For the map, I'll change it for 5.0 to not center it, but for now a workaround would be to add an extra row or two of black tiles along the bottom of the map so it fills the screen.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #17

For the map, I'll change it for 5.0 to not center it, but for now a workaround would be to add an extra row or two of black tiles along the bottom of the map so it fills the screen.

Tried that on a couple of maps.
1. I'd have to do it to every map and the Overworld alone is comprised of 112 maps. Underworld is the same. That's 224 already not counting the various levels I've created that range in overall size.

2. It throws off the map exits especially "On Leave Map South". I'd probably have to add in zones or something just for a southern map exit.
  • Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:58:37 pm by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #18
Alright, then here's what I'll do: since mS 5.0 is not ready yet, I'll post a 4.8.5 patch later that changes the map behavior.  ;)
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #19

Indeed. Right now, I'm trying to see if there is a way to re-enable my integrated HDMI so I can use my 2 monitors again. It makes for a nicer development environment.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #20
Wait, your dual-monitor setup didn't use the same GPU for both monitors?  That might have been the cause of all the slowdown...
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #21
No, it did. The motherboard has an integrated nvidia 7100 with vga & hdmi support. I just put in a geforce 8400 PCIe and it turned off the integrated graphics. The 8400 has support for vga & dvi but I have no dvi cable to utilize the port. I was trying to see if I could get the integrated graphics and the PCIe to function together but from what I am finding it does not appear to be a possibility.
  • Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:40:53 pm by Miscreant

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #22
@Miscreant miniSphere 4.8.5 changes the map rendering behavior to match Sphere 1.5 (i.e. aligned to top left).  Let me know if there are any other compatibility issues.
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #23
Thank you for patching it. In future Sphere projects, I'll design maps accordingly.

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #24
No problem.  Changing the map rendering behavior to centered was a conscious decision on my part, but I admittedly didn't account for the possibility that render scripts might depend on the Sphere 1.x behavior.  :-[
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #25
TBH, when I first started P:ZeC, I just started making my own version of Hyrule. I never even thought about the player info area until much much later.

Reply #26
Found a new difference between Sphere and miniSphere. miniSphere on left, Sphere on right.

Triangles outlining the Triforce Segments...

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #27
Now that makes no sense at all, can you post the code that's drawing that?

Reply #28
@Rhuan I know the code looks a bit much with all the different variables... It is actually 2 functions condensed into 1. When I started with the inventory, I created the function to draw the triforce and then just called it from the inventory function. As I created the scrolling inventory I needed to pass the x,y to drawTriforce().  So the drawTriforce() became this huge drawTriforce(long line of variables); it was a pain.
  • Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:05:45 pm by Miscreant

• Rhuan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #29
I'm pretty sure you could make that neater, at least use an array of coordinates rather than separate vars for each one.

Simple answer to your error though - three of your coordinates have decimal places, drawing to fractional coordinates is not possible, both sphere 1.5 and minisphere have functions to force the inputs to be integers, a few simple tests suggest that sphere 1.5's method rounds down whereas minisphere's rounds up.

Strictly speaking round up is correct here as the value is 0.5 - so if this can be called an engine error it's a 1.5 error not a minisphere error.

That said you shouldn't be giving decimal places to render functions :)