Skip to main content

News

Topic: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone) (Read 61404 times) previous topic - next topic

Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Unofficially called Zelda-esque Clone (ZeC).

Currently in development since May '17.

100% Fan Made Game. Made mostly from Legend of Zelda Sprite. Very few original designs in the Tileset. Original Tileset copyrighted to Nintendo.
(Just stating. I've seen screenshots of Kefka's revenge so i don't really think the sphere community would have a problem with a zelda game)

In ZeC, the land of Hyrule is very much different than the original Legend of Zelda (LoZ). Many centuries have passed. Mountains fall and rise, rivers divert, lakes dry up. An entire landscape can become totally unrecoginizable over hundreds and hundreds of years. The "Lost Woods" & "Lost Hills" do still exist but are not in there original locations, nor is the passage through them the same as in LoZ.

The attached image is the overworld. I welcome input and thoughts. I am unhappy with the way my overworld map is displaying (all the erronious line data between some map segments. I'm currently collaboratting with a friend who does Graphic Design to eliminate that issue.) As you can see from the image the overall scope of the game is pretty immense. I currently have 2 world maps (composed of a total of 112 Sphere Maps(EPIC project undertaking)). The overworld and the Underworld. While the Overworld map is complete, the Underworld still needs some creation. I will also need to design the 8 levels where the Triforce fragments are. Not included on the Overworld map is the Hyrulian Palace.  I've taken a small break from map creation to implement coding.

The player can currently walk around the world, collect items, step off one of the docks and ride a raft (if you have it). "Talk" to the headstones in the cemeteries. In keeping with tradition of the original Final Fantasy, one random headstone reads "Here lies Erdrick". I am currently implenting the bomb functions...

**Note: The Overworld map image has been scaled down for forum size requirements. The error data between map sections is not visible at this smaller size.
"I am to misbehave." - Malcom Renyolds, Captain of Serenity

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Re: Project ZeC (My Zelda-esque Clone)
Reply #1
Hmm, it seems there's no image attached to your post! This sounds interesting already though.

(Just stating. I've seen screenshots of Kefka's revenge so i don't really think the sphere community would have a problem with a zelda game)
There have been Final Fantasy games, Pokémon games, Zelda games, even Mario ones... No one here's gonna mind, the engine has quite a rich history of interesting fan games in that regard. :P

Reply #2
hmm, I did attach the file. How can I post it now? I see no way to attach it again.

Reply #3
nevermind, i figured it out

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
From what I can tell, the map design looks great, and you seem to be well underway already. Maybe a bit too much of a reliance of arrows though. :P

all the erronious line data between some map segments
All the lines seem to be laid out in a very consistent grid, interestingly. How did you generate this map?

Reply #5
From what I can tell, the map design looks great, and you seem to be well underway already. Maybe a bit too much of a reliance of arrows though. :P

Game Tip: The arrows of matching colors on the overworld map point the way you must travel through the Lost Hills. The player must figure out the correct order though.

all the erronious line data between some map segments

All the lines seem to be laid out in a very consistent grid, interestingly. How did you generate this map

I used Gimp2.8 with layer groups for the rows and individual layers for map segments.

The layout is like this:
Row 1
--Map A1
--Map B1
--Map P1
Row 2
--Map A2
--Map B2
so forth and so on...

I spent a good amount of time in Gimp on the original layout so that errors like that would not occur. There is no pixel gap at all between the layers.

I would make the map segment in Sphere, export it to an image, resize the image to appropriate values, paste it into the associated layer.

Took an uncounted amount of man-hours. 112 map segments per overworld and underworld map... You can imagine my frustration with the finished map. As I stated to one of my friends, "Its not a matter of perfectionism but of professionalism."

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Hmm... That sounds like it was really tedious. I'm sorry it still went wrong somewhere. :(

Perhaps you could export the full image first and then resize that exported image. Maybe try a few of the different scaling filters too. If the problem is somehow present in the full-size image too, there are actually other ways to get your image too: you can create a little Sphere game that draws the whole map to a Surface object, and then save that Surface out to an image file.

Reply #7
you can create a little Sphere game that draws the whole map to a Surface object, and then save that Surface out to an image file.

That sounds interesting. Not really sure how to go about doing that yet. I need to read up on Surface usage.

Reply #8
Update: The Underworld map is almost complete. just a few map segments more and then comes the process of creating the individual levels where the Triforce pieces are.

I also implented a few new fuctions. The most significant being where if you bump into a "Armos" statue it comes to life and and moves quickly around the screen, just like in the original LoZ. Currently, trying to create the Whistle/Ocarina (Not sure which I'm going to call it yet) functions.

Reply #9
Update: Started coding the inventory screen

Reply #10
Just a couple of screenshots

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #11
I'm really liking what I see here.  It's very nostalgic but yet completely new at the same time.  I always did love the Zelda 1 sprites and tiles.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

Reply #12
I have always been a fan of LoZ. It was the first game I ever completed on the NES. Even before running all the way through SMB, there was LoZ. I never realized the scope of this project before I started coding it. The game takes place in Hyrule but I've added in elements from Final Fantasy 2 & 3.

The screenshot of Edward is the entrance to Kain's Tomb. All of the headstones around Kain's tomb is a character from Final Fantasy 2.

Without giving away too much of the story line, The Master Sword has been fragmented and needs to be reforged. Kain's ghost is wandering around randomly inside his tomb and after a series of events leads the player to a fragment of the master sword.

I have also added a similar story point with Setzer from Final Fantasy 3.

I have a few other classic nes/snes and one sega character(s) located in the graveyards throughout Hyrule as well. They are not Sonic or Mario either.
  • Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:04:57 am by Miscreant

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
SPLIT: Pixel size consistency in video games
Reply #13
I've split this discussion to give the topic a little breathing room for feedback on the game itself. :)

One or more of the messages of this topic have been moved to Off-Topic Discussions

http://forums.spheredev.org/index.php?topic=1507.0

Reply #14
After the discussion on pixel consistencies, I brought the whole project back down to the original 16x16 tiles. I've managed to get some of the custom item sprites to also be 16x16 with no scaling loss of quality. I'm finding though that other functionalities need to be recoded. Most of the x, y coordinates are in need of revamping due to the smaller window size and none of my event specific message boxes fit in the screen either. The font I was using doesn't seem suitable due to size. Most message boxes are being drawn off the screen. I'm currently in the process of creating a custom function for my message boxes.

Edit: Trying to program a scrolling message box.
  • Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:45:52 am by Miscreant