Skip to main content

News

Topic: Ludum Dare (Read 23342 times) previous topic - next topic

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Used Sphere for, like, half my life
Ludum Dare
It's a 48 hour solo game creation competition that actually happens rather frequently (4 times a year I believe?). Thought I'd join in for a change.

The compo starts next weekend. Anyone else in? I'm thinking it could maybe make Sphere a bit more well-known out there, too! :)

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/

Re: Ludum Dare
Reply #1
I just might. The themes all look quite interesting, and I'm always up for a game making competition!

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #2
I might, I am busy this weekend, but I might do something for a change. I see in the rules that you can use a personal library; but I might not this time since it's not complete and you must share it with the community, and I don't want to share anything incomplete without promising I'll finish it - which I may not anytime soon.

I'm thinking of a rogue-like presentation, ;)
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here
Sphere Studio editor here

Reply #3
There's also the jam going on there at the same time, you don't need to release the source code to anything with that. I think I may do that instead, depending on the theme. It really depends on what I choose to do, and if it could be done in 2 days or not.

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #4
Jest: It's two days; so lower your expectations and make something simple, there is definitely not enough time to revolutionize a genre or theme - unless your the guy who made evoland. But, hey, your first time through would of course give you the insight in just how much needs to be done or how much you can do. I won't possibly have time squared away to do everything I want for me this may just be a 10 hour compo, there's no way I'll be active all 48 hours of it. A game that was made with a total of 48 man-hours would be rather nice, however.
If you use code to help you code you can use less code to code. Also, I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Sphere-sfml here

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
10 hours, hm? That's could be quite pressuring. Luckily you can get good ideas outside the time you're working on the game.

Me, I'm going to dedicate my weekend to it! Wake up early (because the compo begins at 3am for me) and spend a good amount of that making something. :)

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #6
It has started, I think. The website isn't responsive. Possibly due to the overload of people. I saw on Wikipedia, that the # of entries have gone up exponentially.

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #7
Yes, I believe it has started. Very laggy for me too, but eventually it loaded. I suppose the theme will be "10 seconds".

A nice excuse to make a very, very short game!  ;D

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #8
10 seconds here we goooooo!

Please don't do 10 seconds playtime, unless it's a fun repeatable skill-type game. :P

Sphere-sfml here

• Fat Cerberus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sphere Developer
Reply #9

10 seconds here we goooooo!

Please don't do 10 seconds playtime, unless it's a fun repeatable skill-type game. :P

Indeed, I could never get into the WarioWare series for that exact reason.  I honestly don't see the appeal of the "microgame" concept, but apparently it was successful enough that they ended up making like 5 sequels I think.
neoSphere 5.9.2 - neoSphere engine - Cell compiler - SSj debugger
forum thread | on GitHub

• DaVince
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
Lord English: might be different from person to person. I'm crazy about Wario Ware. But I'm not going to make something like that.
Also, I expected the theme to be 10 seconds, after those voting rounds... It was tweeted right on time too, so you didn't even need to check the site! Already made up a good idea before the compo even started. :)

Let's exchange profile URLs:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/davince/

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #11
I've been working hard-ly on this. :P

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/Radnen/

Sphere-sfml here

Reply #12
I too highly expected 10 seconds to win...it was pretty likely given the number of votes.

I like Wario Ware. FASTEST GAME EVAR!

I'm working on a maze-game based on my very vague (and after even the smallest amount research, completely inaccurate) recollection of the Atari 2600 game Reactor. In fact, I pulled out the ol' 2600, and realized I don't even know how to play Reactor for the 2600. I don't understand it in the slightest.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/flying-jester/

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #13
Currently I'm brick-walled by a gigantic sphere bug. When I reload the same map to reset entities their ON_CREATE is not being called a second time, even though it should (I'm forcing the calls). This is code that should work.

Edit: my issue has been solved. It was not a sphere issue, but a weird wrapping issue on my end, lol.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:31:29 am by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here

• Radnen
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Staff
  • Wise Warrior
Reply #14
Winding down now and ran into another issue. Sphere is definitely not made for fast competitions. This time my character is dying on one map even though another is loaded. I have never seen this issue before. This is the strangest thing. It's as if the last map was still in the background where the player is roaming around and dies, but I'm not on that map anymore.

Edit:
SHIT. In Sphere you cannot use SetPersonX/Y in a talk script, nor use the ChangeMap call. If you do use them in  a talk script you change map but the obstructions are not the same (still the old maps obstructions) and you are placed in some random corner (IDK how). My workaround: Put them into queued person scripts.

EDIT2:
shit. Still more issues. Now when I try teleporting you are sent back to the damn default start position. Nothing I try is working. SHIT.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:21:29 pm by Radnen

Sphere-sfml here