Spherical forums

General Discussion => Site Comments => Topic started by: N E O on June 09, 2015, 11:10:57 pm

Title: IMPORTANT: Please confirm the Wiki works again for you!
Post by: N E O on June 09, 2015, 11:10:57 pm
Good evening, Spherical! I've performed a long-needed upgrade to the Wiki and it looks like it works again, but I need your help to make sure it indeed works for everyone as intended.

Please start filling in more API, update links, maybe make a useful tutorial or two, and respond here if everything is up to par again.
Title: Re: IMPORTANT: Please confirm the Wiki works again for you!
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 09, 2015, 11:31:15 pm
I can't create an account, I get a page with the following text:

Code: [Select]
AHBL (127.0.0.2 - Open Relay) TRUEAHBL (127.0.0.2 - Open Relay) TRUE
Post by: N E O on June 09, 2015, 11:52:25 pm

I can't create an account, I get a page with the following text:

Code: [Select]
AHBL (127.0.0.2 - Open Relay) TRUEAHBL (127.0.0.2 - Open Relay) TRUE

1. You technically shouldn't need to create an account, as "Bruce Pascoe" already exists. If you can't login due to forgotten credentials let me know if "Forgot Password"/"Password Reset" functionality works, otherwise I'll reset your password for you and PM it.
2. Near the beginning of the wiki's life as an anti-spam measure I limited account creation to primarily use OpenID. Since I'm instead directing you to log in using your existing account maybe someone here who hasn't already created a wiki login can try?

EDIT: The text is from the Check Spambots extension which checks the apparently now-deprecated AHBL, among others. Disabling AHBL removes the text.
Post by: Jacob on June 10, 2015, 12:29:29 am
Everything seems to be working fine for me. :)
Post by: mezzoEmrys on June 10, 2015, 01:34:45 am
Seems that I can't log in with Google OpenID, since google has phased out OpenID 2.0
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 10, 2015, 02:08:03 am
Okay, Forgot Password worked.  I didn't remember creating an account on the new Wiki, thanks for the heads up!

It looks like editing works at least.  I was able to edit the Spectacles: Bruce's Story page I apparently created ages ago.  Maybe I should make a page for minisphere now...
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 10, 2015, 02:33:19 am
Just created this article stub:
http://wiki.spheredev.org/Minisphere

Everything seems to be in order so far!
Post by: DaVince on June 10, 2015, 07:23:33 am
Logging in and editing articles works great. I had no problems updating SetFrameRate().

Now that there are multiple Sphere engines, how do we go about documenting version-specific options? Here's my suggestion:
I'm thinking we could just add links like [[Category:legacysphere]] and [[Category:minisphere]] to each API function page.
Then we add a template that figures out which categories the function belongs to, and display those at the top of the page. For example, like this:

(http://i.imgur.com/1aUu28N.png)

(Edit: edited to take up less space)

Also, I noticed the special headings font not loading, but personally, I prefer the default font that is being displayed anyway.
Post by: DaVince on June 10, 2015, 07:42:48 am
Spam is rapidly forming. Check the Recent Changes (http://wiki.spheredev.org/Special:RecentChanges).
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 10, 2015, 11:02:36 am
Wow, geez.  I don't get the point, though.  The spambots aren't creating any links to the articles they make, so it won't even show up on a search engine.  It's a waste of time I'd think.
Post by: N E O on June 12, 2015, 10:43:06 pm

Spam is rapidly forming. Check the Recent Changes (http://wiki.spheredev.org/Special:RecentChanges).

Oh balls. :( Now I need to find new anti-spam measures, or at the very least re-enable AHBL simply to prevent ALL new accounts for the moment until I can solve it.
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 13, 2015, 11:10:51 am
Odd, despite the protection being reinstated somehow the spam bots are still managing to get in.  I think we might need to add captchas for signups, as much as I despise them...
Post by: N E O on June 14, 2015, 12:12:50 am
Ugh. I used to have a procedure to delete spam en masse but since it's been so long I've become out of practice and need to relearn it. I also apparently can't research a solution quickly enough to stop new spam and delete the old stuff.

I want to turn on maintenance mode or something, but that will also halt legit users from updating it. Thoughts?
Post by: DaVince on June 14, 2015, 05:35:40 am
Put it on maintenance mode for now, please. Resolving this problem is a bit more pressing at the moment.
Post by: FBnil on June 14, 2015, 04:57:17 pm
I second that.
Post by: N E O on June 15, 2015, 11:37:14 pm
Update: It seems I found a method that does the trick. cleanmediawiki (http://www.actiu.net/mediawiki/) let me do the exact mass deletion I needed and cleaned out the db properly. Now no records of the spam up to now (Mon Jun 15 11:32pm Eastern) exist except for the rollbacks/deletions I attempted before it.

I also added some more anti-spam measures that I'm cautiously optimistic about, so I'm doing to turn off maintenance mode so I can perform the next step of my procedures which is adding legit users to a "Writers" group that has create/edit permissions.

@mezzoEmrys - According to the OpenID MW extension page (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID) there was much upheaval across three of the main OpenID providers. I'd be shocked if any worked now. I updated the extension, and feel free to PM me if you continue encounter any sort of login problems.
Post by: N E O on June 16, 2015, 12:41:01 am

Now that there are multiple Sphere engines, how do we go about documenting version-specific options? Here's my suggestion:
I'm thinking we could just add links like [[Category:legacysphere]] and [[Category:minisphere]] to each API function page.
Then we add a template that figures out which categories the function belongs to, and display those at the top of the page. For example, like this:

(http://i.imgur.com/1aUu28N.png)

(Edit: edited to take up less space)

That's a good idea, and until we can solidify a decent template to make it happen we can for now simply use the normal category linking that appears on the bottom of the page. I vaguely remember seeing a template or two on Wikipedia that performed conditionals based on the existence of certain categories on the including page, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Also, I noticed the special headings font not loading, but personally, I prefer the default font that is being displayed anyway.

This change was the result of the wiki update also updating the skin, which introduced more specific selectors for headlines negating my customizations. I added overrides to these and the previous font is restored globally, though you can still edit your personal wiki CSS by visiting the wiki article User:Username/skinname.css (replacing Username with your user name and skinname with Vector in this case). The selector to target for the headings in question is div#content h1, div#content h2, div#content #firstHeading so go nuts!

Eventually I'll update instructions for navigating and customizing the wiki user experience.
Post by: Radnen on June 16, 2015, 12:55:27 am
I was able to successfully request a password rest and log in as 'Radnen' but I can't seem to edit anything yet. I'm sure that'll happen soon, though.

Also, is the wiki slow for anyone else? I can wait sometimes up to thirteen seconds for the page to appear. I thought it was adblock but I turned it off for this domain.
Post by: N E O on June 16, 2015, 01:38:41 am

I was able to successfully request a password rest and log in as 'Radnen' but I can't seem to edit anything yet. I'm sure that'll happen soon, though.

Try now, you might have tried right before I put you in the writers group. If it still doesn't work I have to edit more permissions.

Also, is the wiki slow for anyone else? I can wait sometimes up to thirteen seconds for the page to appear. I thought it was adblock but I turned it off for this domain.

I was doing a lot of work on the wiki, and wouldn't be surprised if I need to run an optimize step on the db that I haven't yet. Consider this issue temporary.
Post by: Fat Cerberus on June 30, 2015, 02:30:16 am
Yeah, I want to start fleshing out the API pages with Sphere 2.0 stuff, but it's way too slow.  10-15 seconds per page is just unbearable.
Post by: N E O on July 01, 2015, 12:22:43 am
Wow. Applying even just hardcoding of {{SITENAME}} (recommended here (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Ilmari_Karonen/Performance_tuning#Optimize_interface_messages)) sped everything up, down from 10-15 sec to 5-10 sec. Also added an expires date of "now+1 month" to the skins.

WebPagetest (http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150701_Z7_73Q/) says the webfont stylesheets are blockers, but I think that's a red herring. That 1429ms load time for the page itself is probably where the magic happens.
Post by: Jacob on August 22, 2017, 05:42:30 am
Hey, sorry to gravedig this thread but I just noticed that when I tried to access the wiki for some help, it gives me a permissions error:

You do not have permission to read this page, for the following reason:

You must confirm your email address before editing pages. Please set and validate your email address through your user preferences.

I can't log in, I can't request an account, because it just keeps giving me that error. I do need to access it again as I've scrapped Ilxder 1's development with Sphere (moving to Unreal for that because it'd be a better overall fit for that game's type of development), and I'm working on something right now that I think I might be able to make into a more classic, concise 2D RPG.
Post by: DaVince on August 22, 2017, 06:36:08 am
It's a known problem (see here (http://forums.spheredev.org/index.php/topic,1503.0.html) for discussion), and unfortunately difficult to solve because apparently no one else has ever had the same issue and posted about it anywhere. I'm going to reinstall the entire wiki today and see how far I get in fixing this again.
Post by: Eggbertx on August 22, 2017, 01:18:12 pm
If it comes down to that, maybe you should just do a complete wipe of the wiki, configuration, pages, and all.
Post by: DaVince on August 23, 2017, 06:03:13 am
If it comes down to that, maybe you should just do a complete wipe of the wiki, configuration, pages, and all.
That's exactly what I meant! It's happening right now, after doing a backup of the database of course.
Post by: Jacob on August 24, 2017, 06:43:28 am
Ah thanks, I await the results to see how things go. :)
Post by: DaVince on August 25, 2017, 02:04:20 am
Wiki works again! There are some minor things to fix but at least it's finally up to date and functional again.
Post by: Jacob on September 02, 2017, 03:08:46 am
Thanks DaVince, much appreciated!